VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I convert all my BRs and most of my DVDs to srt because I like way they show up on my screen. However, OCR ing
    them is just harder than it aught to be.

DVDSubEdit does a great and almost instantaneous job with DVDs with usually few if any errors. With BR subs converted to a form that this program accepts the same cannot be said. So, I've tried just about everything else that will OCR the BR sups. Right now my favorite is SubtitleEdit. It can do an awful lot of stuff very well but with some subtitles it produces too may errors for the included spellchecker to be of any use. That can also be said with just about all Subtitle programs with spell checkers. They use a standard a dropdown box that just doesn't work all that well for spell checking SRTs. At least thats my opinion.

What I'm looking for is a Spell checking Notepad with the red underscoring ability like my Email programs as well as this little box that I'm typing in now. AbiWord has that feature but it paginates it's inputs. So, it's distracting.

Are there any other Notepads that spell check with the red underscores? Or, are their easier ways to correct OCR errors?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SRT files are plain text.
    You can edit them in any word processor, including MS Word, as long as you save it as plain text (not Word DOC format) and don't mess up the timecodes.

Better, you can use Subtitle Workshop (version 2.5) which uses Word's spellchecker, and gives you many other functions for correcting and adjusting subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Workshop has a nice clean look however, for some reason my older version of word is not accepted by the program. Get the error message"error trying to connect to Microsoft word" With the new ver4 Beta version when I hit check spelling nothing happens. Not even an error message.

If I could find a way for the program to underscore all of the spelling errors at one time it would be great.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Workshop has a nice clean look however, for some reason my older version of word is not accepted by the program. Get the error message"error trying to connect to Microsoft word" With the new ver4 Beta version when I hit check spelling nothing happens. Not even an error message.

If I could find a way for the program to underscore all of the spelling errors at one time it would be great.

Tony
    Works for me, and I have Word 2000...
    You can ask at their forum: http://www.urusoft.net/forum/

Or as I said, just open the SRT in Word, edit and spellcheck it and leave the timecodes alone.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easier to just keep using AbiWord. With that program at least I can just drag the srt into it and the program will save it as srt automatically.

But thanks for the help with the forum location. Will give it a try.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Took some time and I had to download about 20 txt editors to find what I was looking for.

RJtextEd ........ was the one that worked and it was free. It will red underscore your srts for further spelling checking. It does many more things than that. Seems like it will edit just about every type of file known to man.
    It's quite extensive with what It does do. When I have the time I will sort out it's other abilities.
    To edit a SRT for spelling it has a box at the bottom of the program that says EDITOR. Pressing that brings up the edit screen.
    Just insert your SRT and the spelling errors are all underscored.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  7. For English subs I've had very good luck with DVDSubEdit. After extracting the subs, load them into BDSup2Sub and change the resolution to 720x480. Export as ifo/sup. Load into DVDSubEdit. The automatic OCR and .srt export should work just as good as dvd subs. Occasionally I do get an output file with some funky lines like "_&&$#_/%" but most often, like over 90% of the time, I get clean .srt output.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MilesAhead, as I mentioned above, I always have excellent success runing DVDs thru DVDsubEdit. It usually OCRs in about 15 seconds and usually without any errors.

I've used the approach you mentioned with my BRs but never with the same success. My understanding is that BR subs have a more extensive palate and maybe thats why their more prone to errors when OCRing. Sometimes the result is 20-30 errors sometimes its 25% errors with DVDsubEdit. But

However, I will go back and give it some additional trys

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    MilesAhead, as I mentioned above, I always have excellent success runing DVDs thru DVDsubEdit. It usually OCRs in about 15 seconds and usually without any errors.

I've used the approach you mentioned with my BRs but never with the same success. My understanding is that BR subs have a more extensive palate and maybe thats why their more prone to errors when OCRing. Sometimes the result is 20-30 errors sometimes its 25% errors with DVDsubEdit. But

However, I will go back and give it some additional trys

Tony
    I think the key is reducing the resolution to 720x480. I had a low enough success rate that I gave up using the DVDSubEdit approach. After a time not finding another good method, I tried reducing the res. and I had much better luck. If you are doing hundreds of subtitle sets then perhaps you are getting a better statistical sample. Maybe I've been lucky. All I can say is it's been working well for me a high percentage of the time.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote