VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,
    I'm new here, and I'm fighting against a codec problem for such a long time.

I'm developing an application that plays video, this application runs on Directshow to render the videos.
    I used to install some ffdshow codec packet and it works fine on Windows XP (like K-lite), but at some Windows Vista/7 it doesn't work(at my application, in Windows Media Player works fine).
    I had tried a lot of configuration (but I do confess that I do it like a blind guy, I'm not expert in that)

I changed the backend to Media Foundation and ok, it works fine, but so it doesn't work on Windows XP.

So I start to investigate the problem, and then I tried to change the preffered codecs for ffdshow using Win7SDKFilterTweaker, no success.
    Then I opened regedit and follow some instructions, but according to the tutorial I follow it's already using ffdshow as preffered codec.

In another computer (with Vista running) it works fine like on XP, I tried to list all the codecs using G-Spot and compare with computers that don't run.... and not a single difference.

I tried to see the codecs of MP4 files on G-SPot and there's no pattern, some are mp4v, somo H264 and the status appears as "Codec Status Undetermined".

Then as a last hope I had installed GraphEdit, and GraphEdit can't render the same files (I think it means something), I got the following error:
    Could not construct a graph from this file

- Have you installed all necessary filters?
    - Note that the 'Render File' menu option cannot render *.GRF files.

(Return Code: 0x80040265)

If I do run the graphedit on the computer that works, it builds the graph using FFDSHOW Video.

I think the problem is that my application (and maybe graphedit?) are using Media Foundation codecs to render, but how do I change that?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have Haali media splitter installed? Do you have 64 bit/32 bit issues?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Dave,
    I just did it work installing Shark007 Windows 7 Codecs and set H264 to FFDShow DXVA Codec just now.

At first I changed MP4 to Haali splitter(but I still don't know exactly the splitter function) and it play the video but in a wrong way (strange colors), then I changed the h264 codec to FFDShow DVXA and now it seems ok (At least at Windows 7), I need to test it on Vista yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. The splitter is the first filter (the source filter and splitter). You can see it in GraphStudio (available from the tools section)
    Has more info than Graph Edit.

The regulars around here usually recommend Haali + FFDShow and nothing else. It was certainly true for XP and Vista,
    not sure about Windows 7. Perhaps someone else will fill in some more details.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks davexnet =)
    Quote Quote