VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    If it's not the case, it is highly recommended to enable the "Logical remapping of enabled streams" option of DVDShrink.
    But I would lose the possibility of using the buttons, wouldn't I?
    I mean, I'll be able to select the streams only via remote control.
    No, if the PgcEdit plugin says that it is safe to remap the streams, it's safe! But you must always verify with the plugin, as if there are indirect SetSTN commands, then yes, the language menu may not work well any more.

To summarize:

- When there are only direct SetSTN commands in the DVD, you should enable the remapping, because your DVD will play nicely on all players, and the audio/subpic menus will continue to work as expected. (If you select a button that is supposed to select a stream that you have removed, it will simply do nothing.) Changing the streams directly with the remote works fine with all players too. So, it's the best situation: everything works fine.
    In the other hand, if you disable the remapping, changing the streams directly with the remote may not work.

- When there are indirect SetSTN commands in the DVD, you should not enable the remapping. The audio and subpic menus will continue to work as expected. Unfortunately, changing directly a stream with the remote may not work with some players. (Of course, it is possible to enable the remapping and fix the menu problems manually with PgcEdit, but it's often a difficult and time consuming task.)
    In the other hand, if you enable the remapping, the remote will work fine, but (perhaps) not the menus.

In both cases, the DVDShrink plugin can tell you what setting you should use to be on the safest side.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 28th Nov 2011 at 12:56.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @r0IZ

Thanks. I just learned few new things about DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. @r0lZ
    Thank you very much for your precious advice.
    So, the first case should be a piece of cake, the second is a choice: go for a working menu (remapping disabled) or for the switching via remote (remapping enabled).

All this is valid in theory but not for this specific DVD (series of DVDs actually) since I added a pre-command which overrides all the previous settings and set ALL subs off by default.
    Unfortunately this causes a non-working subtitles menu and some problem in switching via remote (but the latter could be related to not-remapped streams, if I understood well).
    One last thing:
    when I strip out some audio/sub stream I also edit the menu (if still) and delete the buttons linked to those streams.
    Could this be a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    @r0lZ
    Thank you very much for your precious advice.
    So, the first case should be a piece of cake, the second is a choice: go for a working menu (remapping disabled) or for the switching via remote (remapping enabled).
    Right. But note that the problem with the remapped indirect SetSTN commands can affect the language menus, as explained above, but also other stream related things. For example, if the DVD pre-selects the audio and/or subpic based on your preferences, it may pre-select the wrong streams. Also, even if it selects the correct streams, it may be wrong when it plays a bonus in another VTS, if you have removed different streams in that VTS. It may also show some warning screens in the wrong language.
    And, as only a few standalone players have problems with the remote and gaps in the streams lists, I think it is better to keep the menu working, and not remap the streams in DVDShrink.

Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    All this is valid in theory but not for this specific DVD (series of DVDs actually) since I added a pre-command which overrides all the previous settings and set ALL subs off by default.
    Unfortunately this causes a non-working subtitles menu and some problem in switching via remote (but the latter could be related to not-remapped streams, if I understood well).
    Correct. But it is always possible (and usually not very difficult) to change the default stream and keep the language menus working. Usually, I prefer to modify the stream selection when it is made in the original DVD, rather than inserting a new command in the pre-commands of the main movie, as explained in this thread. However, doing that manually requires some knowledge, and you must analyse the DVD.

A good semi-automatic method that works always is to use PgcEdit's "PGC -> Jump to PGC Upon DVD Insert", and visit the language menus before going to the main menu or movie, as explained in point 9 of this guide. Unfortunately, that method has a drawback too: everything that is before the target PGC is totally skipped. That means that all FBI warnings or studio logos are skipped, but also the menu intro (if any). But at least, the method is easy to apply, does not require specific knowledge, and allows you to select the default audio and/or subpic languages easily, while keeping the language menu functional.

One last thing:
    when I strip out some audio/sub stream I also edit the menu (if still) and delete the buttons linked to those streams.
    Could this be a problem?
    It is safe to hide the menu button, but you should never delete a button completely, as this can lead to problems with the default button in some cases. For example, in some menus, a default button is selected automatically based on your previous choice. If you have deleted it, a wrong button (or, even worse, a non-existing button) may be pre-selected. Also, in many menu, it's the button number that determines what commands will be executed later (in the post-commands or in other PGCs). So, if the user activates a button that is after a deleted button, it will not have the correct button number, and the wrong commands will be executed.

So, unless you know exactly what you are doing, I recommend to use only Hide Button -> Jump to Non-Deleted Button. If, per change, an hidden button is pre-selected when the menu is played, you can just press OK or any arrow and another button (not hidden) will be selected automatically. You can also apply "Menu -> Select a Non-Hidden Button/BOV by Default" after having hid all useless buttons, to ensure that they will never be pre-selected. Or you can force the menu to pre-select always the same button (with the advanced option "force the selection of button N" in the menu editor.)

BTW, it is also safe to hide buttons in animated menus, although there is no good/easy method to erase the background image of the button. The button will still be visible, but it will be impossible to select it, and the user will know that the corresponding stream has been removed.
    Last edited by r0lZ; 29th Nov 2011 at 03:54.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    ...note that the problem with the remapped indirect SetSTN commands can affect the language menus, as explained above, but also other stream related things. For example, if the DVD pre-selects the audio and/or subpic based on your preferences, it may pre-select the wrong streams. Also, even if it selects the correct streams, it may be wrong when it plays a bonus in another VTS, if you have removed different streams in that VTS. It may also show some warning screens in the wrong language.
    Ahm... I'm beginning to lose my way.
    From what you write I would say the best thing to do is... do nothing.
    Leave all things in place and you'll live better.
    Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    And, as only a few standalone players have problems with the remote and gaps in the streams lists, I think it is better to keep the menu working, and not remap the streams in DVDShrink.
    Which is what I usually do. Unfortunately it seems that my player is one of those having problems with gaps.

Let me explain better what is my goal.
    I do backup all the DVDs I own (for various reasons, the most common being I simply just don't want to handle the originals discs too often) and, while I'm at it, I try to fix things I don't like.
    This specific thread is about a tv-series. The average disc has 3 episodes.
    Each episode has an intro that, probably never been dubbed in Italian, is played in English with Italian subs ON by default.
    I find this annoying, that's why I asked for some advice on how to turn all subs OFF by default.
    In addition to this I remove (as I usually do) all the audio/sub tracks I don't need via DVD Shrink and when possible (i.e. when the audio/sub menu is a still and this is the case) I edit the menu itself and get rid of the buttons I don't need (you are right, I used the wrong term, I don't delete them, I hide them and jump to a non-deleted button).
    tinker gave me a way to turn the subs OFF and it worked, only the subpicture menu doesn't work anymore and I seem to have some trouble in switching subs via remote (probably because of the non-remapped streams).
    So what I wanted was to have subs OFF by default, a working (edited) menu and the possibility of switching via remote.
    Am I asking for the impossible?

A good semi-automatic method that works always is to use PgcEdit's "PGC -> Jump to PGC Upon DVD Insert", and visit the language menus before going to the main menu or movie, as explained in point 9 of this guide. Unfortunately, that method has a drawback too: everything that is before the target PGC is totally skipped. That means that all FBI warnings or studio logos are skipped, but also the menu intro (if any).
    I know that guide. Unfortunately that's not what I want to achieve.
    You can also apply "Menu -> Select a Non-Hidden Button/BOV by Default" after having hid all useless buttons, to ensure that they will never be pre-selected. Or you can force the menu to pre-select always the same button (with the advanced option "force the selection of button N" in the menu editor.)
    I didn't know this. Very useful.
    BTW, it is also safe to hide buttons in animated menus, although there is no good/easy method to erase the background image of the button. The button will still be visible, but it will be impossible to select it, and the user will know that the corresponding stream has been removed.
    I knew this
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    Ahm... I'm beginning to lose my way.
    From what you write I would say the best thing to do is... do nothing.
    Leave all things in place and you'll live better.
    No, again, if there is only direct SetSTN commands, it is better to remap the streams, as the DVD will work perfectly on all players.

New summary:

1. DVD with direct SetSTN commands only:
    a. Remapping on: no problem.
    b. Remapping off: problem with the remote, no problem with the menus.

2. DVD containing indirect SetSTN commands:
    a. Remapping on: problem with the menus, no problem with the remote.

In my remark, I just wanted to let you know that, when there are problem with the menus (indirect SetSTN and remapping on), there is a risk of problems with other stream related things, such as the choice of the default stream.

Am I asking for the impossible?
    Everything is possible. The problem is that this guide assumes that you want always the same streams by default, and that you will use the remote to change the streams on the fly. It is much better to change the default stream when it is initialized, instead of forcing it in the pre-commands of the main movie. But it is difficult (or even impossible) to explain how to do that, as the method depends of the authoring of the DVD. As an alternative, you can use the Jump2PGC method, with its drawbacks.

There is perhaps a possibility to use the method explained in this thread, but keep the menus working. I have not tested it, but it should work:

1. Find a free GPRM. (Use info -> GPRM and note the GPRM number of the first free GPRM.) If there are no free GPRM, you're unlucky, and you cannot easily apply this method.
    In this mini guide, I will assume that GPRM 15 is free.

2. Insert this new command at the beginning of the pre-commands section of your subpicture selection menu:
    Code:
    [71 00 00 0F 00 01 00 00]   1  Set gprm(15) =(mov) 1
    3. Insert this new command at the beginning of the pre-commands section of your Title Menu PGC (usually the first PGC of the VMGM):
    Code:
     [71 00 00 0F 00 00 00 00]   1  Set gprm(15) =(mov) 0
    4. In the main movie pre-commands, insert a command before the SetSTN command you have inserted using this guide to turn the subpic off, and one new command after it. Change the first new command to jump to the second new command when the value of the free GPRM value is 1. Assuming that you have inserted the SetSTN command at the beginning of the pre-commands area, you should obtain something like this:
    Code:
    [00 A1 00 0F 00 01 00 03]   1  if ( gprm(15) == 1 ) then { Goto line 3 } 
    [51 00 00 00 80 00 00 00]   2  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off 
    [00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]   3  NOP
    How it works: The value of the free GPRM is by default 0, so when the main movie is played, if the GPRM value has not been changed, the SetSTN command will be executed, and the subpic will be disabled. But if you visit the subpic menu (even without selecting any language), the value of the free GPRM will be changed to 1, so when you will play the movie again, the SetSTN command will be skipped, and the subpic you have selected will be visible. If you have not selected any particular subpic language, the original behaviour will be restored.

Note that after having visited the subpic menu, the GPRM value is changed to 1, and is not reset to 0 automatically. That means that there is no way to use the subpic menu to hide the subpic again. It's why I have added the command in the Title Menu. To "clear" the subpic again, just call the Title menu with the remote. Usually, the Title Menu button jumps to the main menu, just like the Root Menu button, but with that command, it will also restore the original behaviour, and the subpic will be hidden again.

If you want a better solution, use File -> Backups -> Create Zip Backup, accept the offer to include the small VOBs, and send me the ZIP file. (It contains the IFOs and the definition of the menu buttons, so I should have everything I need to analyse the DVD and find the best solution.) You can find my email address on the PgcEdit homepage.
    Quote Quote  
  7. New summary:

1. DVD with direct SetSTN commands only:
    a. Remapping on: no problem.

2. DVD containing indirect SetSTN commands:
    a. Remapping on: problem with the menus, no problem with the remote.
    I undertood that, in the 2nd case I'll probably end up with a problem (with the menu or with the remote).
    But I was thinking more about this:
    But note that the problem with the remapped indirect SetSTN commands can affect the language menus, as explained above, but also other stream related things. For example, if the DVD pre-selects the audio and/or subpic based on your preferences, it may pre-select the wrong streams. Also, even if it selects the correct streams, it may be wrong when it plays a bonus in another VTS, if you have removed different streams in that VTS. It may also show some warning screens in the wrong language.
    when I said I was losing my way.
    There is perhaps a possibility to use the method explained in this thread, but keep the menus working. I have not tested it, but it should work
    I will give it a try asap and report the results.
    If you want a better solution, use File -> Backups -> Create Zip Backup, accept the offer to include the small VOBs, and send me the ZIP file.
    Let me fool around with it to see if I can figure something out by myself (thanks to your help and tinker's too).
    If I am in trouble I'll send it to you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK, I've received your IFOs, and found this:

When the DVD is inserted, the first thing it plays is title 2 (a short 12 secs title with a single cell, probably a studio logo). In that title, the first pre-command checks the value of GPRM 6, and if it is equal to 1, the streams are not changed. The value of GPRM 5 is also checked (pre-command 2), and if it is not 1, the subpic stream is selected according to your preferred subpic language (pre-commands 3 to 10). At line 23, GPRM 6 is set to 1, so that the next time the title will be played, the subpic and audio will not be changed again.

The same logic is applied when an episode of the 'play all' PGC is played. But since at that time the value of GPRM 6 is 1, that part of the pre-commands is skipped, and the subpic and audio streams are not changed.

So, theoretically, it should be possible to change the pre-commands of title 2 to force the subpic stream to off. But that doesn't work!

The original pre-commands of title 2 are:
    Code:
    [00 A1 00 06 00 01 00 0C]   1  if ( gprm(6) == 1 ) then { Goto line 12 } 
    [00 A1 00 05 00 01 00 0D]   2  if ( gprm(5) == 1 ) then { Goto line 13 } 
    [61 00 00 03 00 92 00 00]   3  Set gprm(3) =(mov) sprm(18:Preferred sub-picture language) 
    [71 00 00 05 00 00 00 00]   4  Set gprm(5) =(mov) 0 
    [71 A0 03 05 00 01 64 65]   5  if ( gprm(3) == 25701 ("de") ) then { Set gprm(5) =(mov) 1 } 
    [71 A0 03 05 00 02 66 72]   6  if ( gprm(3) == 26226 ("fr") ) then { Set gprm(5) =(mov) 2 } 
    [71 A0 03 05 00 03 69 74]   7  if ( gprm(3) == 26996 ("it") ) then { Set gprm(5) =(mov) 3 } 
    [71 A0 03 05 00 04 6E 6C]   8  if ( gprm(3) == 28268 ("nl") ) then { Set gprm(5) =(mov) 4 } 
    [71 A0 03 05 00 05 73 76]   9  if ( gprm(3) == 29558 ("sv") ) then { Set gprm(5) =(mov) 5 } 
    [41 00 00 00 85 00 00 00]  10  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = gprm(5) 
    [00 01 00 00 00 00 00 0D]  11  Goto line 13 
    [00 B1 00 0B 00 01 00 14]  12  if ( gprm(11) != 1 ) then { Goto line 20 } 
    [00 A1 00 04 00 01 00 14]  13  if ( gprm(4) == 1 ) then { Goto line 20 } 
    [61 00 00 03 00 90 00 00]  14  Set gprm(3) =(mov) sprm(16:Preferred audio language) 
    [71 00 00 04 00 00 00 00]  15  Set gprm(4) =(mov) 0 
    [71 A0 03 04 00 01 64 65]  16  if ( gprm(3) == 25701 ("de") ) then { Set gprm(4) =(mov) 1 } 
    [71 A0 03 04 00 02 66 72]  17  if ( gprm(3) == 26226 ("fr") ) then { Set gprm(4) =(mov) 2 } 
    [71 A0 03 04 00 03 69 74]  18  if ( gprm(3) == 26996 ("it") ) then { Set gprm(4) =(mov) 3 } 
    [41 00 00 84 00 00 00 00]  19  (SetSTN) Set Audio track = gprm(4) 
    [71 00 00 03 00 00 00 00]  20  Set gprm(3) =(mov) 0 
    [71 00 00 04 00 00 00 00]  21  Set gprm(4) =(mov) 0 
    [71 00 00 05 00 00 00 00]  22  Set gprm(5) =(mov) 0 
    [71 00 00 06 00 01 00 00]  23  Set gprm(6) =(mov) 1 
    [71 00 00 08 00 00 00 00]  24  Set gprm(8) =(mov) 0 
    [71 00 00 0B 00 00 00 00]  25  Set gprm(11) =(mov) 0 
    [71 00 00 07 00 00 00 00]  26  Set gprm(7) =(mov) 0
    Look at the red commands: they place the value 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, depending of your preferred subpic language, in GPRM 5, and then GPRM 5 is used in the SetSTN command to select the right stream. But to select and enable a specific stream, the value should be 65, 66, 67, 68 or 69. This is because bit 6 (value 64 or 0x40) of the subpic value is the ON/OFF flag. When that flag is 0, the subpic is selected but not turned ON. Since it is not set in the pre-commands, the subpic is not turned on when the main movie is played. (You can verify that easily with the trace: the subpic should be your preferred language, but it should be OFF.)

So, how is it possible to see the subtitles when the subpic stream is turned off? It's because there are "forced subpics" in the subpic streams. Forced subpics are always displayed, even if the stream is off.

I have also noticed that subpic stream 0 (English) is not set in the pre-commands of the titles. It's probably because the original language of the movie is English, and therefore forced English subpics are not necessary. I guess that there are no forced subpics in stream 0. So, one way to fix the problem would be to change the pre-command 10 of title 2 to:
    Code:
    [51 00 00 00 80 00 00 00]  10  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off
    That way, the English subpic will be selected, but off, and no forced subpics should be visible.

However, note that if you select another subpic with the menu, then you change your mind and select the "Sans sous-titres" button to turn it off, the previous stream remains selected. It is just turned off (in the VTSM PGC 5). That means that the forced subpics will be visible again. If it's not what you want, I suggest to change the command of that button to:
    Code:
    [51 01 00 00 80 00 00 0D]  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off ; LinkTailPGC
    (That commands sets the English subpic off, so the forced subpics will not be visible.)

I have also noticed that the language menu has two "pages". The "Sans sous-titres" button is present on the two pages, so you may want to change the command in the two pages, or keep the original command in the second page. In the second case, you will be able to restore the original behaviour (forced subpics on) by selecting the subpic language you want, then the second "Sans sous-titres" button.

Another solution:
    The "forced subpics" are defined in the subpic streams in the VOB file. (They are not related to the "forced" subtitle type of Domain Stream Attributes.) You can also disable the forced subpics in the VOBs with DVDSubEdit: load the VOBs, tick the "Only show forced subpics" option, change the "Start command" from "Forced start" to "Normal start", then do "Edit -> Apply last modifications to all" and save. This way, without forced subpics, the commands that select a specific stream but leave it off will have the effect of hiding all subpics, and you don't need to modify the IFOs. Of course, it will be impossible to restore the original behaviour of showing the forced subpics without showing the non-forced ones, so IMO the previous solution is better.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for your extensive reply.
    Now, as soon as I have the time, I got to read it carefully and see if I understand it well (hopefully).
    I'll report the result asap.
    Thanks for now for your help and time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. @r0lZ
    I tried your method. This is what I did:
    - (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off as pre-command 10 of Title 2
    - (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off ; LinkTailPGC as the command for the 1st "Sub-Off" button (didn't change the 2nd).
    That's it, none of the other things discussed in the thread.
    The result is that, once enabled the subs are displayed anyway.
    Both the 1st and 2nd "Sub-Off" buttons don't disable them.
    The only way to get rid of them is via PowerDVD menu.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    You have replaced the original SetSTN command with that command, right?

The result is that, once enabled the subs are displayed anyway.
    In what language? English?
    If it's the case, that means that even the English subpic stream has forced subs, and you need to use the DVDSubEdit method to get rid of them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    You have replaced the original SetSTN command with that command, right?
    Yep!
    Any language, English too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Instant Martian View Post
    Any language, English too.
    When the DVD starts? That's impossible. One and only one subpic language should play.
    If the default subpic stream is correctly set to, off, no subpics should be forced, unless there are also forced subpics in the English stream, but it's probably not the case.

Anyway, try the DVDSubEdit method. It will certainly work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @r0lZ
    tried the DVDSubEdit way.
    When I select the "Only show forced subpics" option it shows me 0 subpicture (for all streams and all VCID).
    So apparently there aren't forced subpictures.
    This means that even the other method you suggested ((SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off as pre-command 10 of Title 2; (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off ; LinkTailPGC as the command for the "Sub-Off" button/buttons) does not apply since, as far I understand, you were assuming there were forced subpictures.
    Any other suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I can add my two cents to this.
    What is interesting, if you delete track#0, than track #6 (en, normal) is checked on in PowerDVD subs menu.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Good point, tinker. That confirms that many players have trouble with removed subpic streams.

There is a way to avoid the problem of the gaps: just remove the useless tracks with DVDShrink with the remapping option off, and create a dummy stream to fill the gaps. It's easy to do. For example, if you have removed, say, subpic stream 2, in the PGC editor, it is labelled as "none". Click the button and set the active streams to 31. Then go to Domain Stream Attributes, and type a language code that you will easily recognize as dummy (for example, "zu" for Zulu). That's it: the player should now accept the stream, even if it doesn't exist in the VOB. Of course, if you select that stream with the remote, nothing will be displayed. (If you prefer, you can clone an existing stream definition, and have, say, French defined twice.)

Instant Martian, try the trick above. If it doesn't work, I give up. Either you are doing something wrong, or your player has a severe bug.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'll try but let me make myself clear.
    I have only tested the first five discs on the stand-alone player (subs disabled following tinker's first method, sub menu not working, remote switching working but wrong stream ID).
    All the other tests I have made so far were on PowerDVD (i.e. no burned discs, no stand-alone player).

Anyway, this "Dummy Streams" trick is for the gap problem but still I don't know how to turn the subs off.
    Which one of the several methods described?
    Last edited by Instant Martian; 12th Dec 2011 at 11:07.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, PowerDVD is probably the worst software player to check your DVDs. It is the less standard compliant player I know. Check your DVDs with a decent player such as the KMPlayer, Media Player Classic Home Cinema or VLC. (They are free.)

For the visible subs problem, I'm convinced that if you are sure that there are no forced subpics in the VOBs and if PgcEdit's trace mode shows you that the subs are off when the title is playing, then they should not be displayed. If they are visible with PowerDVD, it's simply a bug of that player.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well, PowerDVD is probably the worst software player to check your DVDs.
    Uhm... this is great!
    I have been told the exact contrary.
    I got problems with VLC and I uninstalled it, would you please pick one of the two others for me?

As for the subs, after all this trial and error process I am a little confused.
    Would you be so kind to point me again in the right direction?
    Even a link to one previous post of yours is ok.
    I am positive (better, DVDSubEdit is) there are no forced subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I agree that VLC is not perfect. I don't like its GUI much, and the portable version I use insists to rebuild its font cache every time it starts. It's a pain!
    My preferred player was The KMPlayer, but I'm not sure I like the new version. It is recent and I don't know it sufficiently to be sure, but it seems less good and more bloated with useless stuff than the older version.
    I continue to like MPC HC, although it is somewhat outdated now.
    Another player that has a good reputation is Gom player, but I haven't tried it.

Post #38 in this thread explains what you should do. Normally, if you replace line 10 with SetSTN subpic stream 0, off, the subs should not be visible when you play the eps, unless you select another subpic language with the menu or the remote. As explained, you can also edit the menu.

Feel free to post a simplified version of your DVD somewhere, and I'll have a look. I just need the IFOs, the menus, and the beginning of an episode, with the first subtitles. You can blank the rest with VobBlanker, and convert the menus to stills with VobBlanker or MenuShrink.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok thanks, I was oriented towards MPC HC too.
    Two questions:
    - I have already an old version of MPC (1.1.796.0). Is it better to remove it and update to the latest stable release?
    - there's one thing I always wanted to ask but kept forgetting: all the command-editing on the "Main Movie" (i.e. the PGC containing all the episodes) has to be replicated in the commands of the single episodes too? I did so but I'd like to know for sure.

I will try again with the procedure in post#38 then, which is basically:
    - (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, off ; LinkTailPGC as the command for the 1st "Sub-Off" button (I think I won't edit the "Off" button on the second menu).

If I still can't get it I'll pass the DVD through VobBlanker and send it to you.
    Thank you very much for now.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I use MPC HC 1.5.2.3456 (X64). Your version may have some missing codecs, and I remember that there were problems with the button highlights. They are fixed now. So, yes, I recommend to upgrade.

You should not need to modify the original commands, especially if you add new SetSTN commands in the process. That will make things more complex.

Anyway, with the trace mode, be sure to verify the subpic stream that is selected when the title is playing, and especially its on/off status. It should be off (unless you enable a subtitle language with the menu). If it is off and since there are no forced subpic, the subtitles should not be displayed when you play the same DVD in the same manner with any player.

However, tinker has noted that a wrong stream is selected or enabled in PowerDVD, so it might be necessary to apply also the trick explained in post #46, to get rid of the gaps, and be sure that your player will not be confused.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that the highlight problem in MPC HC still exist. I just downloaded newest version to see how it works and highlights did not show till I placed mouse over it.
    I just like PowerDVD as it has a remount, which acts same as DVD player. I know it is not perfect, but not that bad.
    I tried both VLC and KMPlayer, which I use from time to time, but prefer PowerDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I am almost there!
    I used the trick to fill gaps but with a slight modification:
    after DVDShrink I just reloaded the DVD into PgcEdit and restored the pre-DVDShrink status of streams.
    I didn't touch the ISO639 codes and reset the streams in the Domain Stream Attributes as if I didn't remove anything.
    Now everything works (even menu), when I switch streams via remote the player plays no audio (and display no sub) when a removed stream is selected.
    There is only one thing that does not work:
    after the menu editing (i.e. the "hide button and jump to non-selected button" routine) there are some buttons (depending on their physical position on the menu I suppose) that are not selectable via remote in any way.
    Is there a way to fix it?

About the various players, I think each one has its pluses and minuses.
    The highlight problem in MPC HC is still there, I can confirm that.
    From GUI point of view my favourite is PowerDVD and as a pure player it's probably good but, after this experience I'd say it's not the best choice to test edited DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You can fix the buttons with the menu editor. Use the Adjacent Buttons sliders to select which button must be selected when you press the up, down, left or right arrow. Check if all (non-hidden) buttons can be reached with the arrow keys of your keyboard.

Note that normally, when you hide a button, PgcEdit tries to relink the remaining buttons so that they are still accessible. Not sure why that has not worked as expected.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Playing a little bit I had found my way:
    - edit the bitmap background (of course)
    - switch the button number between the one I want to keep and one that is going to be hidden
    - switch the commands as well
    This method seems to work and has the advantage of graphically more consistent menus.

@r0lZ
    thanks for your tip.
    If there is nothing wrong in what I wrote above I think I will go for one way or the other according to the case.

Well, if there will be no other problems on the other discs (and I hope so) I think we are done.
    r0lZ, tinker, I want to thank you both very much for your precious time and help (and patience too).
    I wouldn't have done it without you.
    (r0lZ, I hope you'll give me a little help with this other project of mine when time will come)
    Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well, changing the button numbers can have bad consequences. For example, in a bonus menu, the DVD may be authored so that the button leading to the next bonus is automatically selected when you return to the menu from a bonus. Of course, if you change the button numbers, a wrong button will be selected. In the case of a language menu, the problem is probably less important. Anyway, be sure to check carefully if the right button is always selected when the menu is called from various places.
    Quote Quote  
  28. In this particular case switching numbers works but I see what you mean.
    The best way would be to rearrange the position of the buttons according to the edited backgroung.
    I think PgcEdit can do that but it may be a little tricky (taking notes of position, dimensions, etc...)
    Maybe the way you suggested in post #55 is the simplest solution.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's good that you found a solution and it worked for you
    Quote Quote