VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't look too exciting though.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspec

New Titling again? Meh, I already prefer to do my own, those presets look canned anyway.

New hardware support? Meh.

New support for Canon .mov? WTF, v10 supports it.

More 3D stuff? Nobody's interested. 3D was a non-starter, again, as usual.

I was looking for things like splines and motion tracking. Very disappointed. I guess Vegas is destined to be like Premiere. If you want more, buy plugins.

No wonder the upgrade is only $149, it's basically a maintenance release. Instead of upgrading, I'm seriously considering buying the Boris Continuum plugin now.
    Last edited by budwzr; 18th Oct 2011 at 13:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to try out the Vegas Pro 11, is it any different , in terms of the version change, from Vegas Movie Studio 11 ? both are 11 versions now

Tried installing Vegas Pro 11 on my Win XP computer, and it did not install giving me a message that vegas 11 only support Vista and 7, that really sucks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AjnabiZ View Post
    Just wanted to try out the Vegas Pro 11, is it any different , in terms of the version change, from Vegas Movie Studio 11 ? both are 11 versions now

Tried installing Vegas Pro 11 on my Win XP computer, and it did not install giving me a message that vegas 11 only support Vista and 7, that really sucks.
    The Vegas Movie Studio versions are usually built by deleting features from a late version of the previous Pro version. So, Movie Studio Platinum 11 is a feature reduced Pro version 10d or 10e. Some new format support for low end consumer cameras or digital cameras may appear in Movie Studio first. The Pro release has the major new features.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

The Vegas Movie Studio versions are usually built by deleting features from a late version of the previous Pro version. So, Movie Studio Platinum 11 is a feature reduced Pro version 10d or 10e. Some new format support for low end consumer cameras or digital cameras may appear in Movie Studio first. The Pro release has the major new features.
    I guess its best for the beginners to start off with Movei Studio Pl 11 first, before proceeding to Vegas pro ?

Is there any site which posts Tutorials for Vegas Pro or Movie studio ?

Is it possible for VideoHelp community members to join and start a series of tutorials for beginners ?

Just as there videocopilot.net for Adobe after effects
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Doesn't look too exciting though.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/techspec

New Titling again? Meh, I already prefer to do my own, those presets look canned anyway.

New hardware support? Meh.

New support for Canon .mov? WTF, v10 supports it.

More 3D stuff? Nobody's interested. 3D was a non-starter, again, as usual.

I was looking for things like splines and motion tracking. Very disappointed. I guess Vegas is destined to be like Premiere. If you want more, buy plugins.

No wonder the upgrade is only $149, it's basically a maintenance release. Instead of upgrading, I'm seriously considering buying the Boris Continuum plugin now.
    One interesting new feature is rolling shutter skew removal. I'm waiting for reviews.

The GPU 2.5x encoding speedup is nice but needs a recent card (e.g. GTX 4xx up).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I guess its best for the beginners to start off with Movei Studio Pl 11 first, before proceeding to Vegas pro ?

Is there any site which posts Tutorials for Vegas Pro or Movie studio ?

Is it possible for VideoHelp community members to join and start a series of tutorials for beginners ?

Just as there videocopilot.net for Adobe after effects
    Yes

Google gets you many Vegas tutorials. Sony has a good tutorial disc.
    See http://www.blue7media.com/vegas/ also VASST and also many on Youtube.

We have many Vegas threads here. Use Search. Creative Cow also has many.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Oct 2011 at 18:18. Reason: Corrected VASST spelling.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Yes

Google gets you many Vegas tutorials. Sony has a good tutorial disc.
    See http://www.blue7media.com/vegas/ also VAAST and also many on Youtube.

We have many Vegas threads here. Use Search. Creative Cow also has many.
    Thanks ill look into those
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The GPU 2.5x encoding speedup is nice but needs a recent card (e.g. GTX 4xx up).
    i actually downloaded the demo just to see this speedup for myself and i have to say i'm more than a bit perplexed. previous version of vegas had 2 gpu powered encoders, main concept's cuda encoder and a sony developed avc encoder; the sony encoder was slow as shit and the quality sucked.

with this new version, sony claims that it uses an OCL encoder that is vendor agnostic but all i could find was the main concept cuda encoder and the sony avc encoder, which i'm assuming is coded using OCL.

despite the claims of faster gpu encoding i found both versions to be significantly slower but they both produced cleaner, crisper encodes and in the tests i conducted with various sources, including some XD CAM sony samples, the sony OCL encoder seems to be the better of the two. an interesting find is that the main concept cuda encoder actually supports 2 pass encoding, something i have not seen up to now in any gpu powered encoder, the downside is that the encodes i did with 2 pass were actually of lower quality than the one pass encodes.

to confirm that the gpu's in all cases were being used i monitored gpu usage with gpu-z and found that, on average, there was only a 10% load on the gpu during the encoding process, though it would spike up with deinterlacing to about 15%, the video card ram used maxed out at about 200mb, the memory controller load stayed under 5% and the video engine load would fluctuate between 0% and just under 10%.

my specs are a e7400, 4gigs ddr2 and a gts250; i'm wondering if the sony OCL encoder can be used with the gpu built into the SB (not via QS) and if so how much, if any, speed boost does it give versus rendering using only the cpu with that same encoder and how much load is placed on that gpu.

if i had to guess i would say that due to lower latency between data transfer and communication on the SB using it's built in gpu versus a processor using a discrete solution, a SB like the 2500k or 2600k should really shine with the sony OCL encoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd wait for someone with a video card that is in vegas's spec to chime in, a gts250 isn't on the working list so that probably explains the low usage of your video card during rendering. 10% usage was probably the preview window. it has to be a GeForce GTX 4xx Series or newer GPU to be utilized.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'd wait for someone with a video card that is in vegas's spec to chime in, a gts250 isn't on the working list so that probably explains the low usage of your video card during rendering. 10% usage was probably the preview window. it has to be a GeForce GTX 4xx Series or newer GPU to be utilized.
    Right. We have until Nov to get the $149 upgrade. I'll probably still get it. The main issue is if I upgrade my old 9800GT which otherwise performs fine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    actually even nvidia's reference cuda encoder doesn't load my gpu, it maxes out at about 25% usage, that's one of the criticisms of gpu powered encoders, they don't come anywhere near to maxing out your gpu, thus they don't come anywhere near to being as fast as they can be.

if you consider that a gts250 has 128 cuda "cores", 10% of that is about 13 cores, each core is capable of handling one thread, if you look in the preferences you can manually set the number of threads but the max number you can choose is 16, i was assuming that it referred to software rendering but considering the data between gpu and cpu has to be coalesced i'm guessing that 16 threads is probably the most that the programmers could efficiently work with without worrying about stalls.

basically what i'm saying is that i don't think it's reasonable to expect to see higher gpu usage with a newer card; you would see improved performance due to architectural improvements, a superior thread scheduler, perhaps card specific tweaks in the driver, higher clock speeds and faster ram.

you should note that the benchmarks sony is touting sony chose a very specific workflow that could load the gpu with lots of effects:

Vegas Pro 11 was benchmarked on a very affordable Dell Studio XPS 9100 PC, featuring an Intel Core i7 960 3.2 Ghz CPU and discrete GPU cards from both AMD and NVIDIA. The motion graphic test project uses AVCHD, XDCAM EX, and XDCAM HD422 video formats, along with PNG still images, generated text and a noise texture. The project takes advantage of GPU-accelerated compositing, track motion, fades, crossfades and time remapping, as well as a number of accelerated effects including gaussian blur, black and white, cookie cutter, bump map, mask generator, sepia, lens flare and chroma keyer. It also includes accelerated transitions such as cross effect, iris, and clock wipe.
    they basically through the kitchen sink into the benchmark so that the difference between rendering times of vegas 10 and 11 could be maximized (many of the above effects run in software mode under vegas 10); i did pure encoding tests, sans any video processing except for deinterlacing, just to see the state of current gpu encoders, both quality wise and speed wise.

if i remember correctly you picked up a 2600k, didn't you? if so, would you mind downloading the trial and the sony test samples and seeing if the SB gpu can be used with the sony OCL avc encoder and if so how fast it is on that processor?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what's the bottom line? For us non-geeks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wait for the reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas is a professional grade software meant for professional grade workloads, be that as it may its main selling point is not its gpu powered encoding capabilities, but rather it's ability to handle professional formats like XD CAM, its ability to do transitions, effects and effects that many others can't and the fact that said effects can be accelerated with a gpu.

i would expect all reviews of this software to be favorable but it's the F350 Super Duty of video editing; unless you need to pull a 30ft boat loaded with 4 horses up a 10 mile long 20% steep mountain grade in the middle of a snow storm, you don't buy an F350 turbo diesel v8 dually Ford with 400hp/800lb-ft, you buy a Ford Ranger with the 4L v6.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    Vegas is a professional grade software meant for professional grade workloads, be that as it may its main selling point is not its gpu powered encoding capabilities, but rather it's ability to handle professional formats like XD CAM, its ability to do transitions, effects and effects that many others can't and the fact that said effects can be accelerated with a gpu.

i would expect all reviews of this software to be favorable but it's the F350 Super Duty of video editing; unless you need to pull a 30ft boat loaded with 4 horses up a 10 mile long 20% steep mountain grade in the middle of a snow storm, you don't buy an F350 turbo diesel v8 dually Ford with 400hp/800lb-ft, you buy a Ford Ranger with the 4L v6.
    OK, so they gave it bigger balls? To pull a trailer. But if you just have one jetski, not worth it? OK, thanks VegasBudd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if i remember correctly you picked up a 2600k, didn't you? if so, would you mind downloading the trial and the sony test samples and seeing if the SB gpu can be used with the sony OCL avc encoder and if so how fast it is on that processor?
    good memory and i would gladly, but the p67 chipset motherboard it's in cuts off all contact with the 2600k gpu. i'm on the fence about dropping $150/seat on the pro11 updates so soon after pro10. i don't see much other than what should have been pro10.1

i get 10% gtx570 usage listed in gpu-z when only using the cpu during encodes with pro10, but the 480 cores are running about 50mhz rather than 1500mhz. using gpu encoding the usage stays about the same but the cores clock up to max.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some grumbling going on in the Vegas forums about buggy Sony AVC templates disappearing, then coming back, then disappearing again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some grumbling going on in the Vegas forums about buggy Sony AVC templates disappearing, then coming back, then disappearing again.
    Dangerous to depend on the first release of a major version upgrade. I usually keep the previous version installed until the major bugs are fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well I've tried the Vegas Pro 11, My specs are inline with the requirements

i7@3.8Ghz, 8GB Gaming RAM +-21GB/s, 4 SEAGATE ES drives in RAID and AMD 5870.

Here's my results lets just say it's a mixed bag...

Source footage is 1080p@60p (not 60i) - 3m36s, Output is SonyAVC for all 4 my tests
    1. Vegas 10 using 11.2 Cat drivers (Vegas disables OCL with later versions)
    - CPU +-90% on all cores, GPU 10%
    - 8min10s

2. Vegas 10 using latest 11.9 Drivers
    - CPU +-100%, GPU 2%
    - 10mins18s

3. Vegas 11 using 11.2
    - CPU 100%, CPU 2%
    - 11mins32s

4. Vegas 11 using 11.9
    - CPU 38%, GPU 60%
    - 10mins01s

My edit consists mainly of standard fades and images, very little titling etc

When I bench the 2gb+ TEST SUITE

Vegas 11 takes 1m03s
    Vegas 10 takes 2m20s
    Output to EDCAM 35mbs.

Vegas 11 actually SHOWS you whether GPU accel is enabled. Only was for 11.9 for me.

I must also mention Vegas 10 allows 8 threads, Vegas 11 limits the threads to 4. My Vegas 10 is 64bit and the 11 is 32bit. Will try with 64...but it's install bombed repeatedly.

I must say though that in general Vegas' editing speed is second to none that includes Fcutpro or Premiere with all their GPU doodads. Vegas edits REAL quick, it's just the flipping renders! Prem runs like a dog on my pc compared to vegas and yet daily users of prem reckon my pc flies...

It seems 10 with my older 11.2 was faster ONLY if I don't have fancy lens flare and other 3d effects. I normally use AE for that. So so far I won't be upgrading...maybe at 11.0b
    Last edited by dieselfan; 20th Oct 2011 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, there's been no mad rush to update Vegas, so SCS sent out this new feature breakdown: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/whats_new_in_vegas_pro_11

I read through it, and there are some notable improvements.

Looks like the existing plugins have been rewritten in the OFX style to streamline the FX filters. That's a good thing because new plugins will be built this way.

There's a new star wipe and pixelate FX.

And Pan/Crop can be moved around in the chain to fire later.

They put in an "Upload To YT" like in the MS versions, which surprises me. It seems anyone using a Pro editing software would be able to figure out how to do that on their own. Why bog down Vegas with that simple chore.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where are you guys seeing $150 for the upgrade? I see $189.95. Is there a discount code? Please help.

- Smells_Like_Feet
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i can't give you the exact url. it was an email offer from sony that seems to be coded to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-22_120954.png
Views:	220
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	9257
    --
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a way to use the offer. If anyone else is interested but having the same trouble as me, check out this forum post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/501702-pro-11-promo-pricing.html

Thanks.

- Smells_Like_Feet
    Quote Quote