VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the 0.9 version, (which works OK as far as I can see).
    www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.9.zip

Not sure if there is a later version or not.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You do realize you're trying to play PAL video, right? You'll need to verify with all your players and whether or not that's supported. You probably will need to re-encode. I don't have any experience with PAL->NTSC encodes but there are others here that hare the sordid details. (I say sordid because if I remember correctly there are a number of issues from 25fps to 24fps or 30fps.)
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    Another thing you can try if you have VirtualDub's DirectShow source filter installed: use the Files of Type pulldown to specify DirectShow Input Driver when you open the file. That way DirectShow will decompress the video, not VFW.
    It sounds like (if so I'll happily just take your word for it) this is advisable to do.
    Using the Directshow source filter should be your choice of last resort.

Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    But I tried to find the "VirtualDub DirectShow source filter" and I'm striking out
    In case you need it someday:
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=15093

In my experience nearly all Divx players will play 25 fps material.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Another thing you can try if you have VirtualDub's DirectShow source filter installed: use the Files of Type pulldown to specify DirectShow Input Driver when you open the file. That way DirectShow will decompress the video, not VFW.
    It sounds like (if so I'll happily just take your word for it) this is advisable to do.
    Using the Directshow source filter should be your choice of last resort.
    Thank you very much; so (do I understand correctly that) since ffshow has now opened the file (thank you very much to davexnet for his advice which made that possible!), there isn't currently value in me using....

But I tried to find the "VirtualDub DirectShow source filter" and I'm striking out
    In case you need it someday:
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=15093
    this DirectShow plugin with the file?

In my experience nearly all Divx players will play 25 fps material.
    That's my understanding too. I didn't realize that converting between PAL and NTSC was (as neomaine mentioned) "sordid", but I still never considered doing the conversion. I understood that the common advice on those conversions was "don't, instead get a universal player" and avoid a lossy recode.

My goal is simply for people with such players to play the file. (As my Philips 5992 would presumably have been able to do if not for the "something odd about the way it's [currently] encoded".)
    Quote Quote  
  5. That is correct. Since ffdshow is now decoding the video properly you should not use the DirectShow input filter. DirectShow may not return frames in the correct order.

Avoid PAL/NTSC conversions whenever possible. The conversion can be a difficult to do correctly. Many programs will do the conversion easily -- but poorly. You have to know what you're doing to get it right. It's especially difficult when you have a video that's already gone through the conversion and you are trying to restore the original frame rate. For example, an NTSC video that was converted to PAL DVD and then you have to convert back to NTSC DVD.

The USA Philips 5992 has no problem playing PAL frame rate Divx/Xvid AVI files. It can also play PAL DVDs well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The USA Philips 5992 has no problem playing PAL frame rate Divx/Xvid AVI files. It can also play PAL DVDs well.
    Good to know! The last time I played with a PAL video was way way back...
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've successfully both completed, and played on both of my standalone players (USA Philips 5992, and TViX M6500A), 2-pass conversions (of the original DIVX file) both to XVID, and to DIVX.

And enabling such players to play the film is my only goal (please recall that they couldn't play the original file [presumably] because of "something odd about the way it's encoded"). Which brings me to my new questions:

1. Did I achieve my goal in the recommended way? (Sorry I didn't already explicitly ask this.)

2. If so:

A. Which target codec should I choose (Is is weird, or would you recommend I, convert from DIVX to DIVX)? (I desire compatibility and quality.) and

B. What Bitrate should I use; I've been clicking on the Calculate button, but the Filesize options--considering that I have little interest in either conserving, or in simply wasting, space--leave me speechless. (Earlier during testing, davexnet recommended I "enter [the video bitrate of the original file, which was] 770 in the bitrate"; should I just do that and forget the Calc button?)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post
    1. Did I achieve my goal in the recommended way? (Sorry I didn't already explicitly ask this.)
    More or less.

A. Which target codec should I choose (Is is weird, or would you recommend I, convert from DIVX to DIVX)? (I desire compatibility and quality.)
    I would use Xvid. It's a little higher quality. But Divx is fine too.

B. What Bitrate should I use;
    Forget bitrates. Use Xvid in single pass target quantizer mode (constant quality) with the quantizer set to 3. If you want slightly higher quality set the quantizer to 2 (there is some chance that bitrate peaks may get too high for your player). Or for smaller file sizes set it to 4 or more. The higher you set the value the worse the quality will be. 3 is a good compromise setting.

Try this: press the Load Defaults button on Xvid's main dialog. Change the quantizer from 4 to 3 (or whatever value you decide is right for you). Encode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the PAL things was the kicker, but alas, no. It still bugs me that you have to convert DIVX to DIVX/XVID at all to get them working.

Wasn't there an Avidemux (or DivxFix ... I forget... ) trick to fix (some) attributes that were not supported on most standalone players without having to re-encode?
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  10. I would also try a simple remux with VirtualDub:

1) File -> Open Video File
    2) Video -> Direct Stream Copy
    3) File -> Save as AVI

Maybe that will be enough to get the 5992 playing it. Also try remuxing with Mpeg4Modifier. Maybe changing the fourcc from XVID to DX50.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much, jagabo, work on that file is now completed.

Which brings me to the other set of 3 files. I have three versions of each set: a set of .mp4's and a set of .m4v's from http://www.archive.org/details/AdamCurtis_TheLivingDead, and a set of .avi's I downloaded via bittorrent).

Even with loading with the FFDS option enabled, none of the files are viewable in VirtualDub.
    The .m4v's show scrambled video with or without the FFDS option on load. The .mp4's are black screens: without the FFDS option there's noise at the screen's bottom; with the FFDS option there's one blue pixel.

And with or without the FFDS option on loading, the .avi's give me this error:
    Name:  2ndFiles.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  33.9 KB
    In case it might be helpful for someone to look at it, I've placed one of the files at
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHPZ9950
    It is 466MB. I'll close with it's details (and a plea for more help, please):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gspot2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	9246
    Complete name : F:\Adam Curtis\The Living Dead (1995)\The Living Dead - 01 - On the Desperate Edge of Now.avi
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 471 MiB
    Duration : 58mn 6s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 132 Kbps
    Writing application : MEncoder SVN-r29756-4.3.3
    Writing library : MPlayer

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : DX50
    Codec ID/Hint : DivX 5
    Bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
    Width : 512 pixels
    Height : 384 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.203
    Stream size : 415 MiB (88%)

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Joint stereo
    Mode extension : MS Stereo
    Codec ID : 55
    Codec ID/Hint : MP3
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 120 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Stream size : 49.8 MiB (11%)
    Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.60 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 134 ms
    Writing library : LAME3.98
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also try a simple remux with VirtualDub:

3) File -> Save as AVI

Maybe that will be enough to get the 5992 playing it. Also try remuxing with Mpeg4Modifier. Maybe changing the fourcc from XVID to DX50.
    Oops, I see I spoke too soon about work on that being completed. And I appreciate it, thank you, I'd love to avoid a recode if possible; heck, the quality of the video is already poor enough.

Re: changing the fourcc; I tried that with WinX2D before I ever started trying to recode; but I'll try again, it's so easy.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The MP4 plugin for VirtualDub isn't very good. You can try using the "ask for extended options..." option on the file open dialog and try the different methods. But this is a case where you may have to resort to using the DirectShow input plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The MP4 plugin for VirtualDub isn't very good. You can try using the "ask for extended options..." option on the file open dialog and try the different methods. But this is a case where you may have to resort to using the DirectShow input plugin.
    What about the versions in other formats (the .m4v's, and the .avi's that gave me that error I posted)? Should I forget about them unless absolutely nothing works with the .mp4 version?
    Last edited by coyote2; 21st Oct 2011 at 18:52.
    Quote Quote  
  15. M4V is essentially the same as MP4. What error are you talking about? The black screens? Use the DirectShow plugin. I'd even get rid of the MP4 and MOV plugins.

VirtualDub just isn't a good editor for MP4 files. For reliability I'd use AviSynth and ffVideoSource() to open MP4 and M4V files in VirtualDub.

A = FFAudioSource("filename.m4v")
    V = FFVideoSource("filename.m4v")
    AudioDub(V, A)
    If you only want the video it's just:

FFVideoSource("filename.m4v")

Name:	avs.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	9250
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Oct 2011 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    M4V is essentially the same as MP4. What error are you talking about? The black screens? Use the DirectShow plugin.
    I'm referring to this
    Name:  2ndFiles.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  33.9 KB
    error I got when trying to load the .avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'd have to see the file. But in all likelihood you will have to resort to the DirectShow input driver or use AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd have to see the file.
    In case you're willing, I've placed one of the .avi files at
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SHPZ9950
    It is 466MB.

I also pasted it's Gspot printscreen and MediaInfo text in the post above.

But in all likelihood you will have to resort to the DirectShow input driver or use AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the file just to take a look. MPC-HC can play it using it's own decoder,
    but I was unable to get virtualdub/directshowsource to open the file.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I tried downloading from there three times and every time it timed out before completion.

Using VirtualDub's DirectShow input driver, or AviSynth's DirectShowSource() requires that you have a DS file reader, DS file splitter, and DS codecs that can handle the file.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried downloading from there three times and every time it timed out before completion.
    I feel bad that that happened, sorry. I've already take far more of your, and of everyone here's, time. So it's just as well that I can't think of an alternative way less likely to time out (since that's the first I've heard of timeouts with that service).

And perhaps it's for the best--if the source of the avi's was one of the archive.org files, it might be best not to use it. And the .avi files do have the same 512 x 384 dimensions as the .m4v files at archive.org (and similar bitrates for video [1000k/1006k] and audio [120k/124k]); so I'll do what I can with the .m4v files, since the .mp4 versions at archive.org only have 640k bitrates.

Using VirtualDub's DirectShow input driver, or AviSynth's DirectShowSource() requires that you have a DS file reader, DS file splitter, and DS codecs that can handle the file.
    Thank you very much, jagabo, you're given me plenty for me to dig into. So much that I can't thank you enough.
    Quote Quote  
  22. You can use Haali as the MP4 or M4V reader/splitter. You already have ffdshow for the decoders.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Haali as the MP4 or M4V reader/splitter. You already have ffdshow for the decoders.
    Thank you very much, jagabo, I look forward to seeing what I can do with the files with Haali! I feel lucky that this project is exposing me to a number of tools.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also try a simple remux with VirtualDub:

3) File -> Save as AVI

Oops, I see I spoke too soon about work on that being completed. And I appreciate it, thank you, I'd love to avoid a recode if possible; heck, the quality of the video is already poor enough.

Re: changing the fourcc; I tried that with WinX2D before I ever started trying to recode; but I'll try again, it's so easy.
    Thank you once again for these suggestions, jagabo!

I tried the (helpfully described) "simple remux" with VirtualDub. My USA Philips 5992 still wouldn't play the result, even if I then used WinX2D to change the fourcc (from DIVX) to XVID or DX50.

When I tried to load the file into Mpeg4Modifier, this error resulted:

Name:	simpleremux.gif
Views:	368
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	9284
    Quote Quote  
  25. If your file plays fine with MPC-HC, then perhaps it will play fine with other FFMpeg based decoders. I would try using FFMpeg to read your files, which can be done with the FFMpeg Input Filter. I think it has a problem with coping streams losslessly, but it's better than nothing, right?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TSJNachos View Post
    If your file plays fine with MPC-HC, then perhaps it will play fine with other FFMpeg based decoders. I would try using FFMpeg to read your files, which can be done with the FFMpeg Input Filter. I think it has a problem with coping streams losslessly, but it's better than nothing, right?
    Thank you very much for your reply, TSJNachos, but (particularly given your noted "problem with copying streams losslessly"), I'm not sure I understand how using the VirtualDub filter you mention could turn out better than the method (which davexnet recommended up thread here using ffdshow) with which in VirtualDub I am already able to recode the file (so that it will play on my standalone player), and alternatively to do a simple remux (which does not enable it to play on my standalone player).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Haali as the MP4 or M4V reader/splitter. You already have ffdshow for the decoders.
    I used Haali to recode the .m4v to .avi, with these selections:

Name:	haali.gif
Views:	611
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	9387

(Or I think I did--the window title was "DS Mux" instead of Haali)

However, the resulting .avi file does not play on my Philips 5992 (or my other standalone); it does play with VLC.

To create the .avi I typed "filename.avi" into the Output field; is that the way to tell it to create an .avi file?

(When adding the Input source via Right-click, I had to change the File Open window's "Files of type" from "Media files" to "All files", which is less than reassuring, but the program then displayed the video and audio lines pictured. ffdshow video and audio icons did display in the tray; output file was 20% smaller than input)

Here's details on the output file:

Name:	GSpot-haali.gif
Views:	553
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	9386

Here's the MediaInfo paste:
    Complete name : C:\work\curtis-NEW\VDub source recode to XviD\test\m4v-haali-recode-XviD-mp3.avi
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 388 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 932 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-28 23:01:47
    Writing application : gdsmux
    Writing library : Haali DirectShow Matroska Muxer 1.11.96.14

Video
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/ASP
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Simple Profile
    Bit rate : 786 Kbps
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.160
    Stream size : 327 MiB (84%)
    Writing library : XviD 64

Audio
    ID : 2
    Codec ID : A_MPEG/L3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Stream size : 53.2 MiB
    I also looked at a suggested alternative:

VirtualDub just isn't a good editor for MP4 files. For reliability I'd use AviSynth and ffVideoSource() to open MP4 and M4V files in VirtualDub.
    I wonder: would this be better than using Haali for the recode?

(Are VirtualDub's problems with m4v/mp4 files avoided using Avisynth with VirtualDub?)

If so...

Where would I get those three DS components, please?
    Last edited by coyote2; 30th Oct 2011 at 09:23.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Haali to recode the .m4v to .avi, with these selections:

[Attachment 9387 - Click to enlarge]

(Or I think I did--the window title was "DS Mux" instead of Haali)

However, the resulting .avi file does not play on my Philips 5992 (or my other standalone); it does play with VLC.

To create the .avi I typed "filename.avi" into the Output field; is that the way to tell it to create an .avi file?

(When adding the Input source via Right-click, I had to change the File Open window's "Files of type" from "Media files" to "All files", which is less than reassuring, but the program then displayed the video and audio lines pictured. ffdshow video and audio icons did display in the tray; output file was 20% smaller than input)

Here's details on the output file:

[Attachment 9386 - Click to enlarge]

Here's the MediaInfo paste:
    Complete name : C:\work\curtis-NEW\VDub source recode to XviD\test\m4v-haali-recode-XviD-mp3.avi
    Format : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 388 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 932 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-10-28 23:01:47
    Writing application : gdsmux
    Writing library : Haali DirectShow Matroska Muxer 1.11.96.14

Video
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Header stripping
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/ASP
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Simple Profile
    Bit rate : 786 Kbps
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.160
    Stream size : 327 MiB (84%)
    Writing library : XviD 64

Audio
    ID : 2
    Codec ID : A_MPEG/L3
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Stream size : 53.2 MiB
    I also looked at a suggested alternative:

I wonder: would this be better than using Haali for the recode?

(Are VirtualDub's problems with m4v/mp4 files avoided using Avisynth with VirtualDub?)

If so...

Where would I get those three DS components, please?
    Bump.

I apologize that message was so long. Basically, I'm wondering:
    • If I should do something differently with Haali to make the output playable on my Philips 5992.
    • Would it be better to not bother, and learn to use AviSynth instead?
    Thank you again to all, for all the help with the first (avi) file; please help me a bit more with this .m4v file!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Gds_mux created an MKV file -- you just named it with the AVI extension. The Philips 5992 won't play that. The audio and video in that file look to be compatible with the 5992. Have you tried just remuxing into an AVI with AviDemux?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gds_mux created an MKV file -- you just named it with the AVI extension.
    Oops! Thank you very much, yet again, jagabo!

The Philips 5992 won't play that. The audio and video in that file look to be compatible with the 5992. Have you tried just remuxing into an AVI with AviDemux?
    I did not (even suspect AviDemux might be an option). Now I've tried with AviDemux:

Simple remux (Video & Audio = Copy, Format = AVI, ".avi" extension manually typed for filename) resulted in a 5992 message that "audio codec not supported". So I changed Audio from Copy to mp3: the 5992 played the audio but without any video.

Next I also changed Video to "MPEG-4 ASP Xvid" and both video and audio play on my 5992!

(Assuming that I now want to recode [rather than remux], and that AviDemux is a choice to do so with, perhaps the final advice I'd love now is...)

Are the codecs I happened to just use in AviDemux ("MPEG-4 ASP Xvid" and "MP3 (lame)") good choices (in terms of compatibility and quality), and if so I'd love any tips on how to configure the:

mp3 Audio (lame): I believe I understand I want the mp3 to be stereo CBR. I know 320 kbps is the highest quality: is it inadvisable for compatibility? (It appears to me that Quality = 0 would be most desirable, and is just an internal algorithm so I guess not relevant to compatability.)

MPEG-4 ASP Xvid: I see the same 1 to 31 Quantizer scale on which jagabo explained to me the merits of "3" for the other file up thread. Are any other settings (or a filter) advisable, please?
    Last edited by coyote2; 30th Oct 2011 at 16:26.
    Quote Quote