VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What browser are you using these days?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using the latest firefox because it has better options for addons.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly IE9 on this site. (It works with my spell checker.) Firefox on others.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Latest Firefox here as well.

Still don't like their 'rapid release schedule' with ever changing major version numbers...

I notice Internet Explorer isn't on the list. Has it been relegated to 'Other'
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have recently switched to Chrome. Seems so far a bit faster than Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've switched to Chrome as the base browser across all machines. Still use FireFox on the faster machines.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Opera.

When "absolutely necessary" (banks, government), I use Internet Exploder 8 Today many/most sites look wrong // load too slowly in K-Meleon I still prefer Seamonkey to Firefox, but the first is a resource pig, and like his "grandson", is not secure enough without the help from NoScript Chromium and Chrome still are just pretty toys, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I choose other

I'm using SRware Iron and it's based on the same source code as google chrome but without all the tracking.
    It's fast and that is the main reason. Firefox is slow since version 4 and higher.

Beside that i use Firefox only for 1 plugin : videodownloadhelper.
    Simply because there is no plugin that works like this for Iron (or chrome)

edit:
    I'm back using firefox 14 again because iron and chrome has a problem with my website (grey horizontal stripes when you scroll fast up and down) and i'm kind of back liking it again. iron and chrome are for sure faster but Firefox has more to offer.
    Last edited by jan5678; 27th Aug 2012 at 15:11. Reason: Added Firefox as my main browser again
    Quote Quote  
  8. I've been using Opera for nearly 10 years. I don't feel comfortable with IE, and the last 3 versions really annoy me for some reason. I do use IE only on a few bill pay sites that Opera doesn't seem to get a long with.
    I thought about switching to Firefox, but being a creature of habit Opera does all the things I like and am used to, so I don't see much point.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  9. Firefox. I tried Chrome and while it seemed a little lighter, I couldn't edit my website with it so I went back to FF.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Camino(for the Apple) , Opera(PC), and Konqueror(Linux)..... IE when forced by websites
    Last edited by 16mmJunkie; 17th Oct 2011 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Firefox / Chrome. FF for its plugins and Chrome for its uncanny speed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firefox. i tried switching to chrome but for some reason on my machines it won't install any extensions/add-ons.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mostly Chrome but sometimes IE8.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly use Chrome, although sometimes I do use Firefox just for a change. I use IE9 for websites that don't work properly with the other two browsers.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox despite the amount of memory it consumes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    john0,

You're title should read: 'What non-IE browser are you using these days?' I've been happily using IE for years, yes - sometimes out of necessity, but have always used it since it replaced Netscape in the corporate world. Nothing against the others listed here and I've tried them all for various periods of time and different releases. None of them have shown to be so much more superior than the other, just, different.

At least you provided an 'Other' option.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  17. IE8 & 9 along with Firefox for YouTube.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Long time Opera user here, doesn't mind other browser and have tried almost everything else, always coming back to Opera. Once you know your way around it, it's almost impossible to gave up.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 4.0.1
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    firefox latest
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    FF 3.6.23. I'm rather set in my ways -- it took me quite a while to warm up to 3.6x from much earlier v. 3 -- and I just don't like the very pared down, minimalist UI of FF v. 4 and later. I like pretty much all the elements of the 3.6 Toolbar, Menus, etc. They don't seem cluttered to me. Latest FF leaves me with a feeling sort of akin to I.E. 8: that of being really LOST, and annoyed that I can't find the regular functions I use all the time. Since the whole point of the gigantic library of FF extensions is to be able to customize things YOUR WAY, one might suppose that there would be some Add-Ons to "turn back the clock" on the FF UI, much as we've had "Classic" desktop themes for Windows, etc. But I haven't run across them yet. If you know of any that you can recommend for this purpose, please mention them here.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get the FF 4+ UI to look like 3.6's with a few extra steps (like making sure the menu's displayed, IIRC, turning on the Add-On Bar (the status bar replacement - unfortunately, the original status bar is now gone ) in the View > Toolbars menu, turning off "Tabs on Top" (also in that same submenu)).
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    FF 3.6.23. I'm rather set in my ways -- it took me quite a while to warm up to 3.6x from much earlier v. 3 -- and I just don't like the very pared down, minimalist UI of FF v. 4 and later. I like pretty much all the elements of the 3.6 Toolbar, Menus, etc. They don't seem cluttered to me. Latest FF leaves me with a feeling sort of akin to I.E. 8: that of being really LOST, and annoyed that I can't find the regular functions I use all the time.
    Can you post a couple of screen shots showing the differences between FF 3.6.23 and later versions? I'm using FF 7 and can't say I've noticed much of a change over the years, except the lack of a permanent status bar at the bottom.

There may be a way to configure recent versions of FF to appear as you want.
    Quote Quote  
  24. changed to chrome.
    Quote Quote  
  25. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Can you post a couple of screen shots showing the differences between FF 3.6.23 and later versions? I'm using FF 7 and can't say I've noticed much of a change over the years,

except the lack of a permanent status bar at the bottom.
    Man, that sucks Anyway, I do not see the point of emulating one of the greatest "features" of Notepad.exe

Yes, rewrite and recompile the pesky source-code
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Yes, rewrite and recompile the pesky source-code
    I was thinking more along the lines of add-ons, themes, about:config settings, and options in the preferences

Just found this add-on:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/

I'm not too bothered about the lack of the status bar, so I probably won't bother with it.

I should add that while the permanent bar has gone, hovering over links still brings up the URL at the bottom of the window, and during page loading the connections to servers are shown - for example going to YouTube shows a flurry of activity to s.ytimg.com, i2.ytimg.com, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Still using Firefox myself, pretty much exclusively since about 2005 now. Hard to believe it's been that long already!

I do sort of miss the days when it ran lean and mean though, although it's certainly one of the most usability rich browsers out there. That does come at the cost of memory and CPU cycles though. Doesn't matter on my desktop which is fast enough to load pages without lag, but on my old laptop it can be unpleasant. It's miles ahead of IE though, which still seems to be playing catch-up with everyone else. Chrome seems to be the latest and greatest browser, but I've found it slightly less usable than Firefox and almost just as memory intensive.

So these days, on a Windows box, what is the fastest, no frills browser? I remember it used to be Opera, but I haven't given Opera a whirl in years, is it still the one to beat in terms of speed or is it just as bloated as the rest?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some things I like about Chrome...

- speed particularly on slow machines
    - it self installs most common media codecs and self updates.
    - flash is decoded internally as a separate process. Is both more secure and less buggy than Adobe's codec.
    - you can run bookmarks from the cloud available to all machines.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When i don't use a PC for the (Firefox) internet, i use the Netfront 3DS browser.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I use Chrome most of the time. My work requires that I use IE8 for some internal tasks - timesheet entry, certain vendor portals. I use Safari on my iPod and the BlackBerry browser every now and then.
    Quote Quote