VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What browser are you using these days?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    So these days, on a Windows box, what is the fastest, no frills browser? I remember it used to be Opera, but I haven't given Opera a whirl in years, is it still the one to beat in terms of speed or is it just as bloated as the rest?
    Links/Lynx, maybe?

I've seen QTWeb in recent months, but haven't really tried it all that much... it's supposed to be a simple Webkit-based browser. I don't know how it compares to Chrome (and its variants) or Safari, though. For that matter, I haven't checked on the K-Meleon project in quite some time...
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Mostly Chrome but sometimes IE8.
    Same here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    google chrome, firefox, safari,
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox exclusively for the past couple of years. Well, mostly exclusively. I, on occasion use Chrome just to make sure I still remember how it works. I was surprised to find that ad block is now avail for Chrome.

Which brings me to what I have to say. I switched from satellite internet 2 weeks ago to a 4G Wifi hotspot modem.
    My surprise was that with the 500 kbs satellite both Chrome and Firefox operated at the same speed.

With the 4G modem, Firefox speed increased 5 fold and Chrome speed was more than 10 times as fast. That definitely surprised me. So I disables a number of the Frefox addons and with each the speed increased. The biggest change was when I disables Scripting.

I still like Firefox better but when I called AT&T tech support to see what the problem was the tech y said my speed differences between the 2 browsers was not unusual.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I stopped using Firefox because it was constantly crashing my computer from all the memory leaks it has. I tried everything suggested on forums but nothing helped. Tested my memory, it was fine. Upgraded my video drivers, Took my PC apart and cleaned and reinstalled everything. Reseated CPU and cards. Reinstalled Windows and still had the same issues. Switched to Chrome and all of my problems disappeared. Figured out how to customize it the way I had IE and Firefox and installed all the addons that I had in Firefox. The only complaint that I have and I can't find the answer for is that when I try to watch videos on some websites (youtube works fine) I get a download window instead of the videos playing in MPC-HC like they do in other browsers.

If someone has an answer to this problem, I would be greatful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    So these days, on a Windows box, what is the fastest, no frills browser? I remember it used to be Opera, but I haven't given Opera a whirl in years, is it still the one to beat in terms of speed or is it just as bloated as the rest?
    I'd say it depends on the sites you visit; probably a toss between Firefox and Chrome, although IE9 is said to beat all of them, but I believe MS got caught cheating on numbers on that one. Actually, Pale Moon is one of the fastest Firefox derivative, but if you ask me there's a limit to what the browser can do if you have a poor internet connection.

I prefer Opera, I'm leery of Firefox add-on (they're changing the way they work in the 13 or 15, lost track), I feel there are privacy concerns with Chrome and I hate the security quirks in IE.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Primarily Firefox (latest version) but have found it to be painfully slower on my oldest (dual core) machine, and Opera occasionally. After reading through this thread I'm going to give Iron a try.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been putting Firefox on costumers older computers because ie8+ runs too slow,Firefox runs with no issues on those older computers.Never saw any memory leaks on any computer with firefox that i worked on.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've stayed with Firefox, the main reason is the noscript add-on. Once you get used to it, it's hard to live without it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 12. It's a lot faster than it used to be ... just as fast as chrome on my i3 laptop ... and it's just robust. And the plugin support is very good.

Opera is also still installed. It's fast too, and the interface is nice. Except for the mouse gestures, which stink with a trackpad, and I don't like how you can't click a button or right click to scroll through active page history. It has the best diagnostic tools though. It also has the best popup window blocking I've ever used. Sometimes it's too effective.

I used chrome for a while but I uninstalled it. It's not as robust as firefox, and the popup window blocking doesn't work well. I'm not sure that's by accident either. Google has been known to show preference for its own ads.

Actually I don't even use Google search much anymore. I use Startpage or Duck Duck Go. Google is turning into Facebook.

Plus, I find Google's idea of whimsical geek humor gets very tiresome after a while.

I haven't actually encountered any websites that require IE. Actually the only time I've ever used IE on my last 2 computers was the first time I went online and the first thing I did was download Firefox.

There's a fundamental problem with Internet Explorer. It's part of Windows Explorer, and as such it's too easy for hackers to get privileged access to the system. Other browsers are just regular apps and can't get administrator access that easily.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Firefox 12, ad blocker, download helper, xmarks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hoser Rob, I have and it is one I have to use. I talked to tech support about a problem and said let me try it in Firefox. They said don't use it use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox with the NoScript add on when I'm searching unknown websites for information. Otherwise I like IE9, the way it works and I do also use WOT on both.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by unclebud View Post
    Firefox 12, ad blocker, download helper, xmarks.
    same here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chrome. Firefox is SO slow
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    FF 12, portable edition, from portableapps.com. (After I get this set up just the way I want, my hope is that this will make it easier to move around -- to laptops, thumb drives, even other desktops.) I really despise the UI changes they made after 3.6x, so I've followed various guides I was able to find online to revert the browser's look & feel as much as possible. (Still working on assorted extensions that I came to rely upon.) Though I'm still not entirely satisfied with this effort, I have gotten it to where I find it usable again. The speed of it does seem better than with prior versions, per my observations. Stability may also be better, though that could be too soon to call.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found a file called Firemin that fixes most of the memory leaks in Firefox and makes Firefox work most of the time without crashing my computer but it still does occasionally. I don't see as many of the captchas on youtube while using Firefox as I do using Google Chrome since Google owns youtube but I do still see a few of them daily while using youtube with Firefox. Wish both browsers would come up with an add-on that would kill the captchas. Chrome has one but it isn't free. Looks like a way for Google to make you pay to use their browser.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I found out about "Torch" browser recently and I stucked to it! totally worth it
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    This was pretty much my point from post #47 above:

http://dottech.org/browsers/74083/firefox-developer-admits-that-everybody-hates-firefo...rapid-updates/

That said, by now I've managed to get FF back to a "close enough" facsimile of the UI I liked from v. 3.6x. And you just can't beat the huge customization advantage that FF has. (e.g., The page isn't looking right, anywhere but in MS Internet Exploder ? The IE Tab Extension will usually take care of that for you, also for printing.) There are thousands of these things, some of which are bound to quickly become indispensable to you, for something you like to do, or some way you much prefer to work. FF may no longer be as fast as a couple of the others, but it does not feel slow to me -- not even with my Fave 20 or so Extensions loaded up. The rapid release cycle is still annoying, but I've gained enough familiarity with it that I can now update the Portable version (which does not really have a simple, single pushbutton update -- not if you want to preserve everything as it was before and still working) rapidly and with minimal fuss.

The Chrome UI is painfully Spartan, some of the company's policies just unacceptable. Opera ? Been there, tried that. It would be a huge shock if IE 9 had made the kind of changes that could get me not to hate that browser. Quite unlikely. So, I think I'll stick with what I'm using. It would be great if the developers would take heed of what the author of the Dottech piece had to say. He's exactly right. Moreover, this concept applies to plenty of other software, and even major tangible products like cars.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox with the latest add-ons (particularly add block plus)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Chrome for about 1 year now. One of my favorite features is that I can log into my Google account while visiting this one buddy of mine (who I visit often) and all my bookmarks are there. Love that.

Also I seem to recall that when I first made the switch it was because FireFox was totally being sucky for me. It was all laggy and acting odd and they were pushing out a ton of updates BUT it just seemed broken. Like they were going through a hard buggy time (at that time). I had enough. So I tried Chrome which seemed lighter weight and faster and just ... nicer. So I've stuck with it and I don't miss FireFox.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chrome, but it still lacks some helpful features found in other browsers, like right-clicking a link and adding to bookmarks. I have to drag the link the bookmarks bar. There are one or two other features that need to be added.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chrome, but primarily because it allows you to print to a pdf file, something that I wish Firefox would add. This allows me to print all of my receipts without using and storing anything on paper.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by hddvdrebel View Post
    Chrome, but primarily because it allows you to print to a pdf file, something that I wish Firefox would add. This allows me to print all of my receipts without using and storing anything on paper.
    What about just installing cutepdf printer on your computer and you can print everything as a pdf file from any program at any time?

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the cutepdf option. It works great with Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Glad it worked out, it's a really good option for so many things.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    firefox from 2004 or 05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chicken264 View Post
    firefox from 2004 or 05.
    as silly as using i.e.6