VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there people.

For a while now my daughter has been connecting to our wireless via her laptop which she is using to download continuesly.
    She has password protected her windows which has prevented me from being able to stop her and even if i did try to stop her she would find a way round it as she knows windows quite well. I don't want to go taking her laptop away from her because then i'll feel mean!

I am using a netgear router here at home and looking in the router config settings on 192.168.1.1 i cannot see anything about limitting bandwidth download / upload rates on remote computers connected to the router.... I was just wondering if such a function does actually exist and if so what would it be called? If not does a piece of software exist which will enable me to have control over the bandwidth used by computers connected to the netgear wireless network?

Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our computer section.

Most routers does not have such a function. I think it's usually called bandwidth management / control.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Change the password so she can't get on the network at all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    usually there's a QoS (quality of service) section in routers, look there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    usually there's a QoS (quality of service) section in routers, look there.
    You can't usually adjust bandwidth. Only the priority, like http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66/~/how-to-enable-quality-of-service-(qos)%3F . But it might be enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok guys will look into all that thanks so much for your helpful replies
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately my router doesnt have that function!
    Its typical.. has every other function but now qos..

Ideally it would be better to limit the bandwidth yes... instead of locking her out completely.

Thanks for your help on htis matter guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man View Post
    Hi there people.

For a while now my daughter has been connecting to our wireless via her laptop which she is using to download continuesly.
    She has password protected her windows which has prevented me from being able to stop her and even if i did try to stop her she would find a way round it as she knows windows quite well. I don't want to go taking her laptop away from her because then i'll feel mean!

I am using a netgear router here at home and looking in the router config settings on 192.168.1.1 i cannot see anything about limitting bandwidth download / upload rates on remote computers connected to the router.... I was just wondering if such a function does actually exist and if so what would it be called? If not does a piece of software exist which will enable me to have control over the bandwidth used by computers connected to the netgear wireless network?

Thanks very much.
    Easy solution: NET LIMITER , Select bandwith per user.

Make a new user (administrartor mode), install NET LIMITEr, make all necessary config for your daughter, select: only user: "your user" make changes. Save, exit.

Go to Administrator user and DELETE the create user for config NET LIMITER. Only this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much.
    Would this software need to be on my daughters laptop aswell as my own pc?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SE14man View Post
    Thanks very much.
    Would this software need to be on my daughters laptop aswell as my own pc?

Thanks.
    You are welcome.

No. Only your NB daughters.

But if they use your PC, you can do the same.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Newer TP-LINK routers have that function. I have a TL-WR1043ND. The 941 model has too.
    And if your router is supported by some open source firmware, like Gargoyle, you can do that too.
    Check if it's supported at www.gargoyle-router.com
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you look under access limitations or similar there should be a feature to limit connectivity by time of day. Cut her off after midnight, or whatever.

If the kid is fairly good, installing software is not the answer. However, you should have the administrator password, not her. Make an admin equivalent user and give her that password, but not THE administrator password.

If you make any access restrictions on the router you will have to change the login password for that, too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is possible to limit the bandwidth usage per port/user with the proper router and firmware update. Use this link to check and see if your router is supported. If it is not i would most definitely considering purchasing one that is supported. There are many features turned on that you can use to further secure your network and protect your family.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

You can restrict access to sites and services like emule, and edonkey. You can also limit the band usage.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	access.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	9203Click image for larger version

Name:	priority.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	9204

Also openDNS may be able to provide other options.
    http://www.opendns.com/home/parentalcontrols
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 18th Oct 2011 at 10:02.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Fair warning: I try not to do so in these forums, but this hit a nerve, so it's Soapbox Time!

Respectfully, from one parent to another, I think you have a bigger problem, assuming (admittedly dangerous to do so) you're describing a non-adult child who lives under your roof:

Which one of you is supposed to be the parent (with the responsibility of enforcing household/parental rules) and which one of you is supposed to be the child (being taught to *obey* household/parental rules)?

Parenting sometimes results in someone thinking the parent is "mean," and it shouldn't be the parent thinking that in all but the rarer cases (nobody's perfect, especially when it comes to parenting).

Unless a child in Australia somehow has a inalienable right to a laptop and unrestricted broadband access, in spite of her parents' wishes, this is not a question of a technology fix to a rather basic "battle of wills" problem, but a function of privileges within the household, it seems to me.

A question like this would NEVER have resulted in such a tug-of-war of wills between my parents and me when I was growing up and it sure didn't happen when I raised my two children. Parents' words were law, with privileges dependent on behavior. As a bare minimum, had the technology existed then, laptops would have been confiscated until the child "got it" as far as who was who in the family.

If you're the father: Grow a pair.

If you're the mother: Put on your Big Girl panties.

Act like (a) parent(s).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I would be more worried about the RIAA making life miserable and bankrupting me than if my daughter got tiffed because I prevented her from downloading. She'll get over it, and will go to one of her friend's houses and download. Let her friend's parents take the risk!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another solution:

Windows Parental control (windows 7) + Norton Online Family (Freeware).

In my house I use it.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have kind of a similar situation as I have 5 kids, none with laptops, but all with wireless type devices. The question is, what do you really want to do....

Restrict acces via time of day: Done at the router level. Keep in mind, I've not seen your router's main gateway page. I'm going off a semi-old Linksys, so hopefully you have this option. It would be in access restrictions. In order to do this, you would most likely want to obtain her network MAC address as that never changes, and restrict by that.

Turn wireless off yourself: easily done at the router level, but blocks out other users as well. A pain if you have a housefull.

Reduce her bandwith: As others have mentioned, QoS (quality of service) applies here, also at the router level. I would use this for my Vonage. I would make sure Vonage got priority when in use so calls would always be clear no matter what anyone else was doing. You can control bandwith here. You can control this via the MAC address as well.

Oh and BTW, if you need to obtain the MAC without accessing her laptop, you can do that via your router as well. The next time she connects wirelessly, you should be able to view in the router's "computers connected" section and get it from there.

One router to rule them all Hope this helps a little.
    Quote Quote