VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    These two players are available at my local Wally.

I am interested in either BD set top player, as I want to play back 1080 AVI and MP4 files off of DVD-DL disk.

I am desiring confirmation that the player can in fact, play back AVI *and* MP4 files at 1080 resolution,
    that is... the dimensions of the video file are 1920 X 1080.

Thank you kindly for your assistance,
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my lg bd 570 and 670 will play files off a dvdr as long as they are in a supported format. avi and mp4 are general terms covering too many possibilities.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RogerTango View Post
    These two players are available at my local Wally.

I am interested in either BD set top player, as I want to play back 1080 AVI and MP4 files off of DVD-DL disk.

I am desiring confirmation that the player can in fact, play back AVI *and* MP4 files at 1080 resolution,
    that is... the dimensions of the video file are 1920 X 1080.

Thank you kindly for your assistance,
    Andrew
    Both will reliably play an "AVCHD Disc" which requires Blu-Ray standard video with m2ts wrapper.

AVI with what codec? My Sony BX37 (S370) plays WMD-HD in an AVI wrapper. Also SD divx/xvid but that was dropped on the 380. No dixv HD on either.

It does OK with 1920x1080p h.264 in mp4 wrapper but MKV is more problematic.

You should consider a media player (e.g. WDTV) with attached HD drive instead.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony BD players are all about what they DON'T do, which is a lot, instead of what they do play. In my opinion only a fool would buy any Sony BD player if they are looking for file playback compatibility or region free DVD playback. edDV's advice is sound. If you do a lot of file playback you'd be best off to get some kind of media player. No BD or DVD player or HDTV really "plays everything" as most consumers want those devices to do. Media players are significantly more likely to play your files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I JUST FOUND IT!

I *KNOW* I had my WDTV (Gen1) here somewhere... Ive been looking for a week now, and failed to locate it... that is what prompted me to post this question.

I also located the remote, AND the huge 100gb USB drive I bought with it too... so for now Im set! (Yeah, I know... will be getting a TB drive as soon as $ allows...)

Sorry for the wasted time, but thank you for your input all the same!
    Andrew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I love this thing... I wonder why I ever took it down. Im extracting individual VOBs from the DVDs I have of Hogan's Heros. I bought the disk at Wally some time back... Anyway, I already know it plays VOBs just fine, so I dont even need to convert! I used DVDshrink with reauthor to select the title I want and just drop it on the HD, rename it S1E01-XXX.vob and Im set!

Sorry, I was excited...
    Quote Quote