VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I still don't know who the dogs are though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What I mean is, Do the "FCP editors" feel resentful that FCPX allows anyone with a couple hundred bucks to claim they used FCP? Like it waters down the product?

BigDogs = Professionals
    LittleDogs = Consumers

My Big/Little Dogs metaphor applies to anything that has an upper/lower pro/amateur level.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess I was just a bit confused since you previously said "Out here in the real world, you're with the big dogs." I assumed you weren't including FCP with the "big dogs".

It's not a resentment that FCPX is so cheap anyone can buy it, therefore "devaluing" a professional tool and the knowledge associated with it. It's the fact that a lot of functionality was removed, and my thousands of dollars of hardware is useless with it.

Just curious - what NLE do you use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Those are documentaries. 90% of TV series and most movies are off-line editied on AVID products...
    It's easy to spot the documentaries coming from FCP. They start out neutral and after about 20 minutes they plot a course to blame McDoogle's as the source of all evils.

....just a little levity, stay cool. We all know Applers are lefties.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bhilgenkamp View Post
    Just curious - what NLE do you use?
    Vegas Pro
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's easy to spot the documentaries coming from FCP. They start out neutral and after about 20 minutes they plot a course to blame McDoogle's as the source of all evils.
    I wasn't aware FCP edited the footage itself. Wish I knew where that function is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't compare Vegas to FCP because I didn't know FCP was really a pro product, like for those in the industry.

I'm not a pro, but I do focus most of my efforts on compositing. I do not like anything pre-canned, I like to roll my own. In this aspect, Vegas provides a very good set of basic tools that are the foundation compositors use to build FX.

Vegas is kind of unique among NLE's in that it IS whatever the user is capable of. It only exposes its complexities to those that seek for them. So you will get many different opinions about Vegas.

Vegas, Baby!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FCP X is a complete rewrite of the app. It is now 100% 64 bit. After watching several hours of demo videos, perusing the manuals, etc., it looks to have about 85% - 90% of the capabilities of FCP 7. Most of the features of the Color and Soundtrack apps. have been integrated into the editor. At $300, It is probably the most feature rich editor in its price range. Add $50 each for Motion and Compressor. Its new workflow is almost a paradyme shift in the editing process. There will probably be a learning curve even for some experienced editors. I wouldn't say it has been dumbed down, but many things now can be automated if desired.

There were a lot of questions as to why Apple would shift the market focus of this fairly successful program. An author of one FCP site may have hit the nail on the head. His logic was: Apple is in business to sell systems. With FCP aimed at the pro market, it gave them the opportunity to sell thousands of systems to thousands of users. By refocusing FCP X. to the pro-sumer market, it will give them the opportunity to sell hundreds of thousands of systems to hundreds of thousands of users.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I can't compare Vegas to FCP because I didn't know FCP was really a pro product, like for those in the industry.
    I'll give you a tip - FCP is a pro tool in the industry. The only people I personally know who use Vegas are hobbyists and wedding videographers.

If it works for you, then great. To each his own.
    Quote Quote  
  10. By refocusing FCP X. to the pro-sumer market, it will give them the opportunity to sell hundreds of thousands of systems to hundreds of thousands of users.
    Exactly. Apple is not a software company - they develop software to sell the hardware. They'll go wherever the money is (unfortunately).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes sir. Capitalism at its finest.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only people I personally know who use Vegas are hobbyists and wedding videographers. If it works for you, then great. To each his own.
    That's probably because editors working in your environment don't do much, and don't need anything like Vegas. You probably don't know anyone that uses Blender or Maya either.

Hahaha, I'll bet you've never done, or needed to do, anything but fast cuts, color correction, and render. And somehow that equals "pro". Hahaha.

These "oldtimers" sitting around getting a fat paycheck for work that a teenager can do now, their days are numbered.

It's a whole new world of sRGB, the old 60i broadcast NTSC crap is going, going, gone.
    Last edited by budwzr; 5th Dec 2011 at 20:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't compare Vegas to FCP because I didn't know FCP was really a pro product, like for those in the industry.
    I'll give you a tip - FCP is a pro tool in the industry. The only people I personally know who use Vegas are hobbyists and wedding videographers.

If it works for you, then great. To each his own.
    All depends. I mostly know the "industry".

Edit software must fit the workflow.
    Last edited by edDV; 5th Dec 2011 at 20:35.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This Apple guy really irritates me, so I'm going to take it out on the next ten Appleheads I run across. Mwahahaha!!! Hell, the NEXT 20!!!

It's gonna be a "Whack-a-Mole" fiesta around here. Gotta get them back in their own forum.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You guys are hilarious getting all worked up over software LOL

Name:  round1.gif
Views: 444
Size:  235.6 KB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    This Apple guy really irritates me, so I'm going to take it out on the next ten Appleheads I run across. Mwahahaha!!! Hell, the NEXT 20!!!

It's gonna be a "Whack-a-Mole" fiesta around here. Gotta get them back in their own forum.

Sounds like you just can' t handle someone who actually knows what their talking about, and is doing it professionally.
    And, I don't mean me. I just regard myself as an student of the craft, trying to learn whatever I can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    who actually knows what their talking about, and is doing it professionally.
    Umm...did you mean "they're"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You guys are hilarious getting all worked up over software LOL
    [Attachment 9961 - Click to enlarge]

Hahaha, did you make that? Gimme a damn sword!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want no damn sword. Hand me that uzi.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post

Name:  round2.gif
Views: 413
Size:  256.5 KB

Hahaha you can feel the escalating tension here
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 6th Dec 2011 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple's pricing of FCP X puts them head to head with Sony Vegas Pro at the prosumer/independent pro level. But Apple's lack of support for Blu-Ray makes the intended positioning less clear. Vegas Pro has a full set of tools for DVD, Blu-Ray and web publishing. The intended end product of FCP X is not well defined. It is a partial solution.

AVID Media Composer remains embedded in unionized Hollywood workflow. Adobe remains tied to the publishing/corporate media model. Vegas Pro has been targeted at the one man band with a full set of tools to get the audio/video/distribution job done at a reasonable price. Just add Photoshop or After Effects as needed.

The value of FCP in the past was a standardized product and operator. You could buy a system at an Apple store, hire a freelance certified FCP editor and get to work. As a manager/producer you knew what to expect. I'm not sure this concept works with FCP X.
    Last edited by edDV; 6th Dec 2011 at 06:57.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  22. This Apple guy really irritates me
    Am I the Apple guy?

That's probably because editors working in your environment don't do much, and don't need anything like Vegas. You probably don't know anyone that uses Blender or Maya either.
    We haven't ever needed Vegas. Between Motion and After Effects there just hasn't been a need here.
    One of our editors is very experienced in Blender.

Hahaha, I'll bet you've never done, or needed to do, anything but fast cuts, color correction, and render. And somehow that equals "pro". Hahaha.
    Lol I wish that were true. It sure would make the projects go out the door faster!

These "oldtimers" sitting around getting a fat paycheck for work that a teenager can do now, their days are numbered.
    Actually, I'm not old. I don't get a fat paycheck. If you want a skateboarding video or some video slideshow then yeah, call a teenager. If you want a properly produced video, then you call the pros. Try this: Let's say I have an Indy car. Does that make me a race car driver? No, that just means I have the tools to become one. Just because someone has access to some nice software doesn't mean they're gonna know what to do with it.

It's a whole new world of sRGB, the old 60i broadcast NTSC crap is going, going, gone.
    Thank God.

But Apple's lack of support for Blu-Ray makes the intended positioning less clear.
    This is one of the main reasons we're incorporating more Adobe products in our workflow. Some clients demand Blu-ray, and Apple just won't deliver on a product to make that happen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The final victory is achieved by my mini-clone.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Wow... I'm assuming that was made in Vegas? lol.... Yeah I'll just stick with FCP.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Also, I think Motion's optical flow feature is something you could use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lENvzXa6k4
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Apple's pricing of FCP X puts them head to head with Sony Vegas Pro at the prosumer/independent pro level. But Apple's lack of support for Blu-Ray makes the intended positioning less clear. Vegas Pro has a full set of tools for DVD, Blu-Ray and web publishing. The intended end product of FCP X is not well defined. It is a partial solution.

AVID Media Composer remains embedded in unionized Hollywood workflow. Adobe remains tied to the publishing/corporate media model. Vegas Pro has been targeted at the one man band with a full set of tools to get the audio/video/distribution job done at a reasonable price. Just add Photoshop or After Effects as needed.

The value of FCP in the past was a standardized product and operator. You could buy a system at an Apple store, hire a freelance certified FCP editor and get to work. As a manager/producer you knew what to expect. I'm not sure this concept works with FCP X.

And those are some reasons why many pros are switching to Adobe. Many of the ex-FCP 7 people I know have already made that switch

Unlike Apple, who signalled they've abandoned the "pro" market with FCP X, Adobe is a software company. Adobe is committed to software and the suite runs on both PC and Mac so there is no additional OS switching costs

Adobe lowered their bundle pricing by 50% right around the time of the FCP X release. If someone was already planning to purchase Photoshop and AE separately for ~$700 and $1000 anyways (plus the price of a NLE), why not get the Production Suite ~$800 which includes Premiere, Photoshop, AE, Illustrator, Flash, Audition, Bridge, Adobe Media Encoder and a few other titles. It's a "no brainer" decision whether you are a production studio manager or a 1 man show. Photoshop is the gold standard for image processing and AE is the gold standard for non 3D motion graphics

Soccer moms are just fine with imovie or Windows Movie Maker. FCP X is the black sheep.

No , I don't work for Adobe, It just makes sense
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow... I'm assuming that was made in Vegas? lol.... Yeah I'll just stick with FCP.
    Hahaha, I don't know how to make those fakkakta animated GIFs anymore. That PDR did that on purpose to keep me from reusing it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, I think Motion's optical flow feature is something you could use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lENvzXa6k4
    Yeah, I realize there are programs that interpolate frames, rather than blend, and Vegas does only blends.

But Vegas DOES do:

Convolves
    Bump Map
    Height Map
    Interpolated motion (32 bit precision) on generated vector graphics
    Color channel swapping to get a tighter chroma key

And a whole lot more than FCP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why not get the Production Suite ~$800 which includes Premiere, Photoshop, AE, Illustrator, Flash, Audition, Bridge, Adobe Media Encoder and a few other titles.
    Where do you get that deal?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post

[Attachment 9962 - Click to enlarge]

Hahaha you can feel the escalating tension here
    Poison.. That is fantastic. (where'd the little guys go?)
    Last edited by JimmyS; 6th Dec 2011 at 10:16. Reason: question
    Quote Quote