VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, About to recieve my Beagle xM next week. can I interface my VGA monitor through a HDMI-DVI-D cable via DVI-D to VGA adapter?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try author with dvd-lab pro instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vinny88-in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vinny88 View Post
    Hi, About to recieve my Beagle xM next week. can I interface my VGA monitor through a HDMI-DVI-D cable via DVI-D to VGA adapter?
    VGA is analog, DVI-D is digital.

DVI-I carries both DVI-D and VGA pins. If your mobo has a DVI-I connector, you can tap the VGA pins with an adapter.

If the mobo only has DVI-D out, you need to buy a new monitor.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vinny88 View Post
    The .pdf manual for the Beagle XM says thie "The analog portion of DVI, which provides RGB analog signals, is not supported by the BeagleBoard. Buying a DVI to VGA adapter connector will not work on a VGA display. You will need an active DVI-D to VGA adapter." So, you need the active adapter or a new monitor with DVI or HDMI input.

A typical passive DVI-I to VGA adapter won't work. HDMI is digital only. It is electrically compatible with single-linked DVI-D, but does not have the extra pins needed to support analog output that a DVI-I connection would have.
    Quote Quote