VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got the KMPlayer installed and this is taken from a "live" programme, but when I play it in the KMPlayer, it adds a filmized look to every file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	itv-image-with-bob-ffdshow.jpg
Views:	1668
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	9124
    This image uses the "bob" from FFdshow... and the lines are obvious.

Name:	itv-image-with-gabest.jpg
Views:	1683
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	9125
    This one is using the Gabest filter and Bob, and is smoother, and looks less filmized, but I've heard it's not the best codec (Apologies for the aspect ratio coming out wrong, it's meant to be 4:3, but the bits in-between, i.e. adbreaks are 16:9)

Name:	image-bob-with-lines.jpg
Views:	1714
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	9126
    This clip shows the lines from the "bob" effect.

I've used the K-Lite Codec pack on my install, and I'm on Windows 7 Home Edition. KMPlayer is my main player.

It's not the playback that's the issue, it's the fact that things that area live action, like the clips above, end up becoming filmized.
    (These clips were from something I'd scheduled to tape off a DVBDream install I have, and was of live motor racing).

What would you recommend to fix the problem?

Also, to a lesser extent, what's the best free utility for resizing frames of an MPEG file (the entire file has come out at 16:9 but the actual programme aired in 4:3, I just want to edit some frames - i.e. the programme to 4:3, and leave the adbreaks intact at 16:9).

Apologies if this is a bit lengthy, hopefully you can understand what I'm going on about.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean by "filmized" ? Are you referring to the interlacing?
    Is this a file you captured off-air ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    What do you mean by "filmized" ? Are you referring to the interlacing?
    Is this a file you captured off-air ?
    Yes, and the picture looks like a movie sort of. It is captured off-air, taped off DVBDream.
    I'm trying to find the best codec for it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You want to bob the video to 50 fps. That will give you glassy smooth playback. I don't think KMPlayer has a bob deinterlacer in its output device. You have to enable it in the internal video decoder. That means you must be using the internal decoder, not a DirectShow decoder. In the preferences dialog select Filter Control -> Decoder Usage -> Internal Video Decoder. On the General tab make sure the decoder you need is enabled (MPEG 2? h.264?). Then on the Advanced tab try setting the Libmpeg2 Deinterlacing to Auto Select or Bob. Exit and restart the player.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Oct 2011 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You want to bob the video to 50 fps. That will give you glassy smooth playback.
    Is that possible within FFDShow?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your main consideration trying to get the best experience playing the file back on the PC?

Perhaps you should post a 10 second clip (If it's less that 30MB you can upload to this site, otherwise upload
    it to mediafire.com and put the URL in here), and we can take a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ANOther1676 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You want to bob the video to 50 fps. That will give you glassy smooth playback.
    Is that possible within FFDShow?
    Yes. The one that I find works best is Yadif with Double Frame Rate enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried Yadif; the file plays properly, but image still not quite smooth for a "live" picture.
    Anyway, here's the download:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YVN7V53E

The file is in ZIP format; it's a short MPEG file, MPEG-TS format.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ANOther1676 View Post
    I tried Yadif; the file plays properly, but image still not quite smooth for a "live" picture.
    Did you enable the double frame rate option? It's normal 25 fps interlaced video. To be displayed at 50 fields per second. That's what Yadif with the double frame rate option does. Are you sure ffdshow is being used by KMPlayer? Is the ffdshow icon appearing in the system tray?
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Oct 2011 at 08:16.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got the best results using mpc-hc, it's own mpeg-2 decoder, and de-interlacing set to "auto".
    The bitrate is quite low, probably should capture a little higher - especially with all that motion.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I got the best results using mpc-hc, it's own mpeg-2 decoder, and de-interlacing set to "auto".
    Yes, MPCHC is much easier to get working correctly. It's my main media player.
    Quote Quote