VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friends,

Although Premiere Pro cs3 is an editing software, can it be used to batch convert many files

I'm asking this because ,the best conversion I get from mpeg2 to DV AVI is in premiere pro itself that is to drag Mpeg2 to the timeline and render it to DV AVI and it can be replaced in the same project automatically but is there a way to 'batch convert' all the files individually in premiere pro automatically....or any of its sub plugins or softwares using its inbuilt codecs.......?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't think you can in CS3, but in CS4/5 you can use Adobe Media Encoder to batch
    Quote Quote  
  3. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Hi poisondeathray,
    I tried Adobe Media Encoder but although my premiere pro accepts Mpeg 2 clips as I have installed the mainconcept mpeg2 plugin trial version but again the same problem Adobe Media Encoder is not importing mpeg 2.
    Quote Quote  
  4. might be a CS3 limitation, or a trial plugin problem. mpeg2 import works fine natively in AME CS4/5.5

you can try another program, maybe ffmpeg based like winff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas has a built in batch..... Uh-oh, oops, you have Premiere. Disregard
    Quote Quote  
  6. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Here comes budwzr,a living promotional banner of Sony Vegas.........
    although I have also started hating Premiere pro to the core...........the entire internet is filled with the queries about the crash,incompatibility,codec problems,memory errors and corrupt files of premiere pro.........very unreliable software.........

Although the problem I'm facing now is that even after converting to AVI now the audio doesn't get imported in premiere pro........god .....uffff.....I'm tired now...........

freinds after converting mpeg2 to avi with the help of virtual dub the audio of the resultant AVI doesn't show in premiere timeline now...........what should I do in virtual dub conversion that that audio shows in premire......plz help

AND the biggest problem is ......since premiere is giving me memory low errors I deleted half of the project and corresponding files to shorten the project ,but the error appeared ,then I made it 1/4th but it continued and now even if out of 100 files I keep just 5 and try to edit it still gives the same error so is it so that it is a bug of the codec mainconcept that I'm using with premiere or something else .........What the hell can it be.........????
    Quote Quote  
  7. upgrade to cs5.5, it's more reliable

maybe it's the 3rd party mainconcept plugin causing problems ? You don't need it for CS4 / CS5. MPEG2 is imported natively

what audio options did you use in vdub? use mediainfo (view=>text) if you don't know . You should use uncompressed audio

you can batch process everything with ffmbc, I just tested a batch script and it works ok in CS4 with audio

Are your listed computer specs up to date ? You should consider upgrading that as well
    Quote Quote  
  8. 1) download a compiled ffmbc binary for windows
    https://www.videohelp.com/download/FFmbc-0.5-win32.7z

2) open a text file in notepad in the same directory as your .mpg files to convert. Copy & paste the following, save it, then change the extension from .txt to .bat . Then double click the .bat

Code:

for %%a in ("*.mpg") do ffmbc -i %%a -vcodec dvvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -flags +ildct+ilme -top 0 -r 25 -aspect 4:3 -acodec pcm_s16le %%~na.avi
    pause
    This will batch convert all "*.mpg" videos in that directory to PAL DV-AVI 4:3, with uncompressed audio

If your files are "*.mpeg", change that part of the syntax above, or if you have 16:9, change to -aspect 16:9

Test it out on 2 or 3 videos first , and see if they import into CS3 ok (They work ok in CS4 and CS5.5)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mudh View Post
    Here comes budwzr,a living promotional banner of Sony Vegas.........
    The thing is, Adobe has been around so long that people think it's the de facto king of all things web. They don't need a shout out.
    Quote Quote  
  10. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friends,
    That is prompt....thank you ,I'm in the process of trying everything one by one.......
    just one question I'm converting mpeg 2 to AVI to be exported again in my premiere pro ONLY because it is giving memory error,Poisondeathray.......yes I tried uncompressed audio in virtual dub and now the resultant AVI file is importing in Premiere pro.....but another question now.....the file that I'm getting is atleast thrice the size of the original file.....

- but still is there a chance that by using AVIs I won't get memory error in premiere pro.....
    - is editing smooth with AVI files than mpeg 2 files and
    - is AVI easy to work with irrespective of it's size or this huge size might create problems again ????
    Quote Quote  
  11. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Hi poisondeathray,
    I have downloaded ffmbc but sorry I have no idea what to do with these files before doing the procedure you have suggested in your previous post.....what am I supposed to click or install or copy paste from these to achieve the said result........very sorry for my ignorance..........

[Attachment 9106 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can't see your attachment

unzip it, place ffmbc.exe in the same directory as the files to be converted, then follow the instructions above

test it out on a few files first (no use wasting time converting 100's of files only to see they don't work, but they work ok in CS4)

You can batch convert in Adobe Media Encoder CS4 (works fine on MPEG2 files), I just tested it. Maybe something is corrupt with your install or computer? Maybe something is wrong with your files ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. mudh
    Search Comp PM
    Yes may be.....nothing at all happened when I did that........no action on files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any reason you can't use AVIDemux? It transcodes and does batch too. I use it even though Vegas has that built in because it's just easier. I don't feel like learning the batching process, I just want the files.

Even if it works in PP or AME, it's gonna eat system resources and you can't work at that time anyway, because you're already low on SysRes.

AVIDemux can be set to "low priority" so it just uses a trickle of the CPU when it's available. Then you can start editing the first file. When you go to lunch, kick it up to "high priority".

As far as crashing goes, get rid of unneeded TSR's, and make sure the swap file isn't fragged.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th Oct 2011 at 11:34.
    Quote Quote