VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just rebuilt my computer and ran out of SATA sockets so I tried 2 different IDE internal DVD burners. One by Asus and one by Liteon. Both of them produce bad burns which break up on my TV.

So I've gone back to burning DVDs with my external LG Blu-ray burner. It's seems wasteful, and the burns just aren't as good (in Discspeed) as the burns I could get with my old Benq and Pioneer (212?) burners.

I'm using Verbatim +R printable media, and I'm selling discs so they've got to be good.

So can anyone recommend a good, solid, reliable DVD burner that gives consistent, quality results? I'm happy to look at SATA, external or IDE models.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 2 Optiarc burners...AD-7170A & AD-7220A. I use Sony-R & have burned a couple of thousand discs without a single coaster. I also burn Verbatim printables & still no coasters. I have had quite a few burners over the years & the Opiarcs have been the most trouble free. I also have a Samsung (Toshiba) that will only burn + discs. The Optiarcs are IDE & the Samsung is SATA. Go figure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have 3 old LG burners still going strong. 4040B, 4167B and an H58N.
    ImgBurn at 4x or 8x with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim discs...can't be beat.
    Oh and Discspeed.....waste of time.
    Last edited by hech54; 11th Oct 2011 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the feedback. I've been letting ImgBurn use AWS (automatic write speed) on my Verbatim 16x +R. Maybe that's my problem? In the distant past I used to limit burn speeds, for example when I was burning Ritek 8x DVD-R at 4x on my Benq burner with Nero, but I heard that it's not necessary, and maybe even harmful, to limit write speeds on modern DVD media. What do you think? dfisher052, what do you do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    burn@8x spd or 12x spd but that's about it.....never burn at automatic speeds....use IMGBURN and nothing else to burn dvd media.....get a ide LG dvd burner.....Pioneer dvd burners are crappy now.....(waits for LS to post and say Pioneer isn't crappy)....yes they are since they use mediatek chipset now....SONY dvd burners are ok but I don't think they make ide drives anymore.....LG, LITEON, MSI & PLEXTOR are the only one's who make IDE drives at the moment....I believe the PLEXTOR drives are rebadged LITEON drives & maybe the MSI as well......
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bubblevision...I use Burnaware Free, and have for over a year now, version 2.3.3. It sets its own speed and burn speeds average around 10x to 12x. Like I said before. I have NOT had a coaster in all that time. Also, I did say that I've been using Sony & Verbatim discs, but I have also burned Staples & even the lowly regarded Memorex discs and still no coasters. That's the reason I got the second Optiarc burner. I burn both + and - discs without any problems. BTW, both the Optiarcs are OEM versions that I paid less then $20.00 including shipping from Newegg. Of course that's been over a year now, but I think they are still around that price & still a bargin.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the feedback. So, after false starts with Asus and Liteon IDE DVD burners I got myself an LG GH22NP21 for £22.57 from ebuyer.com and am rocking along nicely burning Verbatim DVD+R printables at 8x with ImgBurn. About 30 DVDs so far and no coasters. Cheers
    Quote Quote