VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Last edited by jagabo; 10th Oct 2011 at 18:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ouch! Wouldn't be the first time I was
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whatever happened surely has to do with trying to break free from Hollywood's iron grip on media distribution. I will stick with NetFlix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Screw Netflix and especially so called "Reed Hastings." If I caused my company to lose half its value, I'd be in the unemployment line (without millions in my bank account to soften the blow). "Reed Hastings" (if that really is his name) has benefited long enough from his one good idea. The board of Netflix should grow a set of balls and throw him out. I'll never go back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't take any talent to run a company into the ground. What's kinda funny is that it's a whole board with degrees up one arm and down the other. We could do just as well - perhaps even better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hahaha, it's about spinning off the problem areas and see which one the wolves go after. It's about positioning for an anti-trust action. It's about whether internet video distribution is going to have competition and equal access.

Roku was split off from NetFlix for that same reason too.

Too bad the customers don't help support this. NetFlix has always been a great deal and we've helped build them, and now when they want to restructure a little, it's too much hassle, and time to jump ship.

The end result is gonna be higher prices from mainstream media once they kick out NetFlix.

I think NetFlix ought to come right out and put this issue before the public. It's time for a Boston Tea Party on Hollywood.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Oct 2011 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry budwzr but I have no sympathy for Netflix or "Reed Hastings" on this one. Their demise would in no way cause the prices for media access to go up. What most of the media fail to mention about this deal is that right before Netholes jacked the prices they had expanded to Canada, Central America and other parts of the world. They are, and always have been profitable. This is all about the avarice of a bunch of millionaire/billionaire share holders. Raising prices is one thing, but mine went up 60%!! And during a recession (depression).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just got billed 7.99USD for a month of unlimited streaming of uncut, no commercials viewing of whatever I want, whenever I want. We just watched 4 episodes of "Medicine Men Gone Wild", it was extremely interesting, and I doubt it would ever be shown on mainstream media because it's too graphic.

They would rather "let" you watch truck drivers in Alaska for a minimum of $25 a month (That's Dish Network's Minimum Package).

And if you don't think fewer content providers = higher prices, then you've never been to BlockBuster or subscribed to cable when they were the only games in town. They treated us like crap, and service was lousy. I remember $5-6 rental fees for new releases, and that was 15 years ago when the dollar was worth more. And $100 for a lost movie.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Oct 2011 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not saying that the streaming is a bad deal, IF they have what you want to see, which in my case was only a couple of titles on a queue of more than 40. I predict that Netholes next move will not be announced in a simpering email masquerading as an apology, but will be a drastic reduction in titles available on DVD. They will reduce the catalog slowly by not replacing damaged inventory or by not acquiring less popular titles. Hell, they may even not offer DVDs for titles that are available via streaming.

You can be sure that this "Reed Hastings" has many more dumb ideas up his sleeve. Get out now before it's too late!!! Don't say I didn't warn you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hearing people have a great deal. They only caption barely 30% of their streaming. So the Deaf don't have much choice. But on Hulu which is free, there is a lot of captioned stuff. There are commercials, yes but only about 6 min per hour & only about 45-65 sec each. Odd thing is not one commercial has been captioned.Best thing to do, connect your TV to your computer & stream from there....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I'm not saying that the streaming is a bad deal, IF they have what you want to see, which in my case was only a couple of titles on a queue of more than 40.
    The trick is to get out of the "new release is better" mindset, like I used to have too, and go for quality. Take advantage of the NetFlix Top 100 list, reviewer's picks, awards winners, etc. Look for films from studios that consistently put out interesting stuff, like IFC, or brands like Discovery, Nova, American Experience, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Originally Posted by fooledagain View Post
    I'm not saying that the streaming is a bad deal, IF they have what you want to see, which in my case was only a couple of titles on a queue of more than 40.
    The trick is to get out of the "new release is better" mindset, like I used to have too, and go for quality. Take advantage of the NetFlix Top 100 list, reviewer's picks, awards winners, etc. Look for films from studios that consistently put out interesting stuff, like IFC, or brands like Discovery, Nova, American Experience, etc.
    Exactly.
    Quote Quote