VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The H2N is a wide pattern mic capsule that will only work well in a sound booth or extremely quiet location. If you can control noise in the location, then by all means use the H2N.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM

The Rode Shotgun looks real good.

But how will be work with my Zoom H2n, would it make my Zoom h2n redundant ?

EDIT : You just answered my question above. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, im confused now.

Should i cancel Zoom H2n and just order Rode's Shotgun. .........................
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AjnabiZ View Post

The Rode Shotgun looks real good.

But how will be work with my Zoom H2n, would it make my Zoom h2n redundant ?

The Zoom is a recorder with built in mics. It also can record from other mics, more suitable to a particular venue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The choice of wired vs. wireless should be made with these categories in mind (and kind of in that priority order):

1. Budget
    2. Mobility
    3. Quality
    4. Technical expertise

Budget needs surround every decision - you can figure that one out on your own.
    Mobility: Is your speaker going to move around further than your cable length? Is the movement going to compromise the cable? Is it necessary for there to be no visible cables? If you say "NO" to these, you're much better off with a wired lav (because of its better inherent quality for the price).
    Quality: The mike capsules in wired & wireless lavs are usually equivalent for the models, but the price differential rests on the additional transmitter/receiver electronics used in wireless. Also, currently there are NO ALL-DIGITAL CONSUMER Video or Audio transceivers, Pro ($$$) - yes, Analog Consumer - yes. And with Analog comes the usual noise & distortion vs. signal strength. Putting something through the analog air is never as clean/pure as putting something down the wire.
    Technical Expertise: Occasionally, you can have multipath or other interference problems with wireless that you need to know how to manage otherwise it won't work as you had planned.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    The choice of wired vs. wireless should be made with these categories in mind (and kind of in that priority order):

1. Budget
    2. Mobility
    3. Quality
    4. Technical expertise

Budget needs surround every decision - you can figure that one out on your own.
    Mobility: Is your speaker going to move around further than your cable length? Is the movement going to compromise the cable? Is it necessary for there to be no visible cables? If you say "NO" to these, you're much better off with a wired lav (because of its better inherent quality for the price).
    Quality: The mike capsules in wired & wireless lavs are usually equivalent for the models, but the price differential rests on the additional transmitter/receiver electronics used in wireless. Also, currently there are NO ALL-DIGITAL CONSUMER Video or Audio transceivers, Pro ($$$) - yes, Analog Consumer - yes. And with Analog comes the usual noise & distortion vs. signal strength. Putting something through the analog air is never as clean/pure as putting something down the wire.
    Technical Expertise: Occasionally, you can have multipath or other interference problems with wireless that you need to know how to manage otherwise it won't work as you had planned.

Scott
    Thanks for the explanation

I think ill stick with Zoom H2n.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's fine to stick with the Zoom, but understand that it has a multi capsule mic, and a very sensitive one. You're got to pay attention to gain, recording level, and limiter.

Like a camera has aperture, shutter speed, and exposure time, and they are inversely proportional to each other. Finding the optimum combination separates the pros from the amateur, which I am an admitted amateur still.

I'm not a sound expert, just trying to get decent enough recordings too. And it's not that easy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    That's fine to stick with the Zoom, but understand that it has a multi capsule mic, and a very sensitive one. You're got to pay attention to gain, recording level, and limiter.

Like a camera has aperture, shutter speed, and exposure time, and they are inversely proportional to each other. Finding the optimum combination separates the pros from the amateur, which I am an admitted amateur still.

I'm not a sound expert, just trying to get decent enough recordings too. And it's not that easy.
    Im only a beginner and i just want to record good quality audio of the speaker.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And here is the Cam which the speaker has and plan to use in the beginning

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/camcorders/200427/sony-dcr-hc62e/specifications

Sony miniDV DCR-HC62E
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would still STRONGLY recommend that you still:

1. Buy the Zoom, use it's recorder function
    2. Buy an external mike. IIWY, I'd get the BEST one I could afford. If your budget is ~$100, I'd get something like the AudioTechnica Pro70. It's condenser and cardioid, with LR rolloff and not very large, all good points in your situation. (I'm used to Sony ECM-77B's, but they're 5x more expensive - but worth it). Make sure it has correct connections (XLR) to the zoomH2.

I WOULD NOT get the Rode in this situation, because even with shotguns, unless your camera is close to the speaker, you're getting much too much ambient/classroom sound vs. the speaker.

Hope you can work out the export situation...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I WOULD NOT get the Rode in this situation, because even with shotguns, unless your camera is close to the speaker, you're getting much too much ambient/classroom sound vs. the speaker.
    Yes, but I was assuming the Rode would be connected to the H2N on a table as a separate unit. Also, that way there's a backup recording on the camera.

I totally agree that the mic should not be on camera. The camera needs its optimum distance, and so does the mic.

What do you think of this mic? http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-1100-Unidirectional-Instrument-Microphone/dp/...8444208&sr=8-4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Sony miniDV DCR-HC62E
    No external mic jack listed.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would still STRONGLY recommend that you still:

1. Buy the Zoom, use it's recorder function
    2. Buy an external mike. IIWY, I'd get the BEST one I could afford. If your budget is ~$100, I'd get something like the AudioTechnica Pro70. It's condenser and cardioid, with LR rolloff and not very large, all good points in your situation. (I'm used to Sony ECM-77B's, but they're 5x more expensive - but worth it). Make sure it has correct connections (XLR) to the zoomH2.

Hope you can work out the export situation...

Scott
    Thanks for follow up on my issue.

Yes, i am going with Zoom H2n, but i think it does not have XLR connections
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, can anyone suggest a good Camcorder for $1500 and below
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Sony miniDV DCR-HC62E
    No external mic jack listed.
    Thats the only cam we have right now.

Nevertheless, i will be recording with my Zoom H2n and then syncing it with the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Canon G10 or Panasonic TM900.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, ill read some reviews on those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See camcorderinfo.com for detailed reviews on the US model then if you are going for 50i/50p, check Euro model reviews.

Big picture:
    G10 wins on low light and most features but lacks 60p(50p) mode.
    TM900 has the 60p(50p) mode and is cheaper to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See camcorderinfo.com for detailed reviews on the US model then if you are going for 50i/50p, check Euro model reviews.

Big picture:
    Whats 60p ? Is it different than HD ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Big picture:
    Whats 60p ? Is it different than HD ?
    All HD. Frame rates = amount of jerkiness.

24p/25p = jerky (can be accommodated by shooting technique*
    = pro movies)
    50p/60p = relatively smooth as for hand held.

Most camcorders are interlace 60i.

* means tripods and narrow focus lens plus lighing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My mistake - I was thinking of the Zoom H4N, which has XLR inputs.

Well, then your choices of (quality) mics are going to be more limited, as you have to find ones that don't use phantom power and don't have XLR, but do have 1/8" stereo mini phone jacks.

Or, You might need an adapter (cable or box).

@budwzr,
    My impression of AT mikes in general is not the greatest anyway, but for !!!$8.99!!! with plastic casing, dynamic coil, unbalanced line, 1/8" jack, etc, I can be pretty sure it's NOT GOOD (can't say it's total crap without having tested it). About the only thing going for it is its Unidirectionality (prob. Cardioid). No idea about its freq. response, self-noise or capsule distortion...

In fact, I'd say that ANY microphone you find that is less than $75US (new retail) is pretty much a joke in the audio community. Because Microphones and Speakers are Electical <--> Acoustical transducers and must deal with everyday physics and manufacturing compromises, there aren't the economies of technological advancement you see with all digital, all solid-state devices. IOW, you really do get what you pay for. They will ALWAYS be the weakest (and therefore most important to get right) link in the quality chain.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like Canon VIXIA HF G10

How about Canon VIXIA HF S21 ? Which one would be better in the long run quality wise , HF G10 or HF S21 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is different camcorders satisfy different needs. Some rise to be great bargains for the price but there are always "better" camcorders if you spend more. These are the consumer models.
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

If your computer profile is correct, XP SP3 (no mention of hardware) HD is probably not usable to you unless you first get a modern computer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is different camcorders satisfy different needs. Some rise to be great bargains for the price but there are always "better" camcorders if you spend more. These are the consumer models.

If your computer profile is correct, XP SP3 (no mention of hardware) HD is probably not usable to you unless you first get a modern computer.
    Here is my computer spec:

Windows XP Pro SP 3
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Motherboard : Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
    RAM : 4 GB DDR2
    Graphics : nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

One more questions, whats the difference between 3CCD camcorders and the HD Camcorders such as Vixia G10 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

One more questions, whats the difference between 3CCD camcorders and the HD Camcorders such as Vixia G10 ?
    3xCCD camcorders use a prizm to split light to three CCD sensors (Red Green and Blue). This is the standard used for pro camcorders which can be had in 1/2", 1/3", 2/3" and above sizes. The larger the CCD, the better the low light performance but also the larger the camera and lens.

Consumer cameras and camcorders mostly use a single CMOS sensor. Sizes vary from 1/6" up to over 1" (approx 35mm film size) used on some DSLRs. The larger the sensor, the better the low light performance but also the larger the lens system needed. Cameras with 35mm size sensors can use 35mm film lenses. CMOS sensors use an array of filtered RGB subpixel elements arranged into a Bayer Pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter
    Name:  Bayer_imager.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  9.4 KB

The smaller the pixels, the more resolution is possible but at the expense of low light performance. With the HF-G10, Canon decided to use larger sub-pixels on a 1/3" sensor to enhance low light performance. Resolution is still adequate to make a 1920x1080 RGB frame. Larger pixels means more photons are collected per pixel from a given lens. This translates to better low light performance.

In general 3xCCD sensors outperform a single CMOS sensor especially in pan/zoom situations and/or during fast object motion. CMOS sensors suffer from rolling shutter issues that aren't a problem with CCD sensors. Despite these limitations, consumers favor the small camera size that single CMOS sensors allow.

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
    Last edited by edDV; 13th Oct 2011 at 06:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Here is my computer spec:

Windows XP Pro SP 3
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Motherboard : Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
    RAM : 4 GB DDR2
    Graphics : nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    That spec would work for editing AVCHD format but expect sluggish performance. An i5/i7 CPU would be better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so Corn, I get what you're saying. The business part of the mic cannot possibly be any good if it's under $75, that's good to know.

I'm surprised my audio technica wired lav got such bad reviews, I like it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you're a pro, just about any newer camcorder these days give a great picture.

Probably the king of the cheapees is the Kodak Playsport. A camera like this is so small and easy to use, it's a joy.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM

3xCCD camcorders use a prizm to split light to three CCD sensors (Red Green and Blue). This is the standard used for pro camcorders which can be had in 1/2", 1/3", 2/3" and above sizes. The larger the CCD, the better the low light performance but also the larger the camera and lens.

Consumer cameras and camcorders mostly use a single CMOS sensor. Sizes vary from 1/6" up to over 1" (approx 35mm film size) used on some DSLRs. The larger the sensor, the better the low light performance but also the larger the lens system needed. Cameras with 35mm size sensors can use 35mm film lenses. CMOS sensors use an array of filtered RGB subpixel elements arranged into a Bayer Pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter
    [Attachment 9114 - Click to enlarge]

The smaller the pixels, the more resolution is possible but at the expense of low light performance. With the HF-G10, Canon decided to use larger sub-pixels on a 1/3" sensor to enhance low light performance. Resolution is still adequate to make a 1920x1080 RGB frame. Larger pixels means more photons are collected per pixel from a given lens. This translates to better low light performance.

In general 3xCCD sensors outperform a single CMOS sensor especially in pan/zoom situations and/or during fast object motion. CMOS sensors suffer from rolling shutter issues that aren't a problem with CCD sensors. Despite these limitations, consumers favor the small camera size that single CMOS sensors allow.

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/CMOS-CCD/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
    First of all , let me thank you personally for taking the time out to write a brief intro of the difference between CMOS and CCD

Its really appreciated, i will go through the 2 links you have posted.

In my situation, the camera will be stationary and the speaker will be sitting on a Chair in a quite room or a hall. We just decided to make the recordings in a small quite room, as to cut off any ambient noises. We will begin testing by tomorrow : )

In general 3xCCD sensors outperform a single CMOS sensor especially in pan/zoom situations and/or during fast object motion.
    So according to that Vixia HF G10 will be fine for my needs, am i correct ?

P.S. Also, can someone direct me to some Full 1080p HD videos or clips, so that i can test /play with them in my system to see if it will be able to handle it.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the spec of my laptop:

Dell
    CPU : Intel Core i5 - 2410M @2.30Ghz (SandyBridge)
    Ram: 4 GB DDR3
    Graphics : nVidia GeForce GT 525M

Will it be able to handle HD ?
    Quote Quote