VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I remember when Apple's strategy was to give away "free" computers to schools, like a farmer plants seeds, to grow their own user base.
    Oh yeah, i remember that. Are they still doing that? Come to think of it, this could explain Macs price point, Apple passed their genorsity to schools on to the paying customers.
    Oh God, don't restart the "Macs are expensive./No they're not" flamewar .

I saw enough of that in the 90s.

Let's just discuss the merits of vi vs. emacs instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Wherever you happen to live, your statements about the "Asian market" are ill-informed and incorrect generalisations about a whole continent.

And I'm still wondering what your Samsung remark refers to.
    Yes, my statements are inclusive of all Asians, not just the lucky elitists that live in HK, Bejing, and Taipei.

Samsung is a cheap phone. The type of phone to be junked out every year. Unlike an iPhone.

Your using the phrase "domestic servants" gives me a much better idea of where you're coming from. That's a very demeaning term. Obviously you look down on them. You've made a "Freudian Slip", and I won't respond to you anymore.

As the Chinese saying goes, "The fox has shown his tail"

Good Day Sir

P.S. Your avatar of a "King Kong" together with "Hong Kong" is distasteful as well. What does a monkey have to do with HK or Asians?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Wherever you happen to live, your statements about the "Asian market" are ill-informed and incorrect generalisations about a whole continent.

And I'm still wondering what your Samsung remark refers to.
    Yes, my statements are inclusive of all Asians, not just the lucky elitists that live in HK, Bejing, and Taipei.
    Or in other words, excluding all those who don't fit into your preconceptions.

Samsung is a cheap phone. The type of phone to be junked out every year. Unlike an iPhone.
    Really? Still don't know why you imagine I was talking about them.
    (And they also make quite expensive ones as well.)

Your using the phrase "domestic servants" gives me a much better idea of where you're coming from. That's a very demeaning term. Obviously you look down on them. You've made a "Freudian Slip", and I won't respond to you anymore.
    As the Chinese saying goes, "The fox has shown his tail"
    Actually, its a purely descriptive term.
    People (almost all female) who live in with a family, do the cooking, cleaning and childminding.

Sorry I don't know what the current politically correct term is you think I should use.

P.S. Your avatar of a "King Kong" together with "Hong Kong" is distasteful as well. What does a monkey have to do with HK or Asians?
    It's Moonwatcher, from 2001: A Space Odyssey, not King Kong, you twat.

It has nothing to do with Hong Kong. That just happens to be where I live. Are we required to have an avatar that is approved by the local chamber of commerce?
    What does your avatar have to do with wherever you live?

It's pretty hilarious (when it's not tragic) when Americans insist on seeing the world through their stereotypes.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 9th Oct 2011 at 22:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Market shares for the Android are steadily creeping up and many of the droids available out perform the iPhone at a lower cost.
    Android has surpassed Iphones already....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post

Wow didn't know that, i didn't think it would have happen till Christmas but that was based off projections from April.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if Steve would have recognized it as a milestone, but I suppose the iStuff pushed Google to put more features in Android than we otherwise might have got.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In a reply to a previous post by budwzr regarding apples current viability, I made a comment about not being sure if the hardware only changes to the new 4S would dampen the initial enthusiasm that new iphone models typically generate. Looks like my concerns were completely misguided.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9220689/1M_iPhone_4S_pre_orders_prove_naysayers...g_say_analysts
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budz View Post
    Market shares for the Android are steadily creeping up and many of the droids available out perform the iPhone at a lower cost.
    Yet Cnet won't report that because they have a love affair with Apple.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post

???

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20116599-17/android-widens-smartphone-market-lead-over-ios/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At least half that figure is probably new buyers that waited to purchase, and bootleggers reselling them overseas ahead of Apple. The rest are going to be the wealthier "upgrade base" that just want the latest model.

Whoever is pre-ordering is doing so on "spec", since no one knows what is being released.

Let's wait for the POST-purchase response. Should be interesting!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post

???

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20116599-17/android-widens-smartphone-market-lead-over-ios/
    cnet really sucks. Their "reviews" are all over the place, they make stupid statements like "Cons: We wish this netbook had a bigger keyboard".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

cnet really sucks. Their "reviews" are all over the place, they make stupid statements like "Cons: We wish this netbook had a bigger keyboard".

Totally agree. Also their reviews anymore just seem to be rehashed information from product brochures. Back in the day, I used to visit them on a regular basis. Now, I'll have a look every few weeks just to see what they're blathering about.

I only posted my previous reply because I feel that someone should not be called out for the wrong reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post

???

Is it just me or is that article only half as long as the article that spoke of iPhones dominance over the smart phone market. You know the same article that also pretty much insinuated the iPhone to be the Holy Grail of smart phones.
    Quote Quote  
  14. adding Sprint to the mix helped their numbers this time( $20 billion worth of Iphones in 4 years they have to buy?.rather than spending the money on new towers or LTE)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't get it. This just add credence to the saying " Apple is not way of life its a religion". I know of 5 people (current iPhone owners) who have pre-ordered for no other reason than it has more memory and a faster chip. When i looked at their phones only one of them was using more than 8Gb of space "8.3 to be exact", the others were using well below 5GB. Of all the iPhone owners I know it seems the most intensive thing they do is check their bank accounts or play Angry Birds for which they certainly don't need a faster dual core processor.

They seem to be utterly oblivious to the fact there are apps available that can turn there phone in an life line to the office, or apps that can turn the phone into productive tool. I know all iPhone owners are not like this but it seems to be the norm in my area.
    And the sad part about this is these are some of my techie\geeky friends.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    adding Sprint to the mix helped their numbers this time( $20 billion worth of Iphones in 4 years they have to buy?.rather than spending the money on new towers or LTE)
    Agreed. They initially lost a lot of potential customers by locking in to a singular company. In a market with 3 major cell phone carriers, each with millions of customers locked into two year contracts. This gave Android the potential to overcome iPhone market shares, which Google capitalized on fully.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's how these cults are. Once you commit, you have to go into denial to justify it to yourself.

PC users are not like that. The minute Linux can do all I need, I'm off Windows. I'm looking at performance, not style. Windows is way bloated and we all know it, we're just stuck for now.

I think the shocking part of this is how many people are willing to pay much more for a device that does so little. It has to be because they DON'T KNOW what they're missing, so they're satisfied with a cartoon version of a computer.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Oct 2011 at 17:48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PC users are not like that. The minute Linux can do all I need, I'm off Windows.
    Amen to that. Every couple of years or so I install the latest greastest version (a moving target if you ask me) of linux and install Wine on top of it. It's getting pretty close,I figure in 4 or 5 years i will be Microsoft free.
    Last edited by dragonkeeper; 10th Oct 2011 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's how these cults are. Once you commit, you have to go into denial to justify it to yourself.

PC users are not like that. The minute Linux can do all I need, I'm off Windows. I'm looking at performance, not style. Windows is way bloated and we all know it, we're just stuck for now.

I think the shocking part of this is how many people are willing to pay much more for a device that does so little. It has to be because they DON'T KNOW what they're missing, so they're satisfied with a cartoon version of a computer.
    You just don't understand the Apple user psychology. It isn't about justifying features. It is about status in the clan and feelings of self worth. Those devoted to the Apple "ecosystem" need to buy into whatever Apple introduces, or they need to justify to others in the clan why they don't need it.

This goes back to the original 1984 Mac. In 1982-83, I moved from an Apple 2 with Visicalc to an IBM PC with Lotus 123 because it was more useful in the business. Some others demanded to use the new Mac even though it had no useful apps beyond Write and Paint. Somehow these people got sucked into a lifestyle image that takes priority. Linux people also stray into a similar "tool over job" illusion.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember the TI994A as my first computer. It didn't know anything, YOU were the creator. The user had to decide what to do with it. Now THAT'S a creativity tool. A toolbox and a blank canvas. The only limit was your imagination.

Apple has turned that around and put the machine in charge, and the user doesn't know anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......
    Android may have unit share (licensed to several manufacturers) but Apple has by far the $ revenue share and perception of leadership. RIM sold more smart phones than either worldwide until this past year. So did Nokia if you consider Symbian a smart phone.

Remember that Google licenses Android for free, hence gets no direct revenue.
    Last edited by edDV; 11th Oct 2011 at 03:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    people also stray into a similar "tool over job" illusion.

This can apply to Windows/PC users as well...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......
    Android may have unit share (licensed to several manufacturers) but Apple has by far the $ revenue share and perception of leadership. RIM sold more smart phones than either worldwide until this past year. So did Nokia if you consider Symbian a smart phone.

None the less Android has surpassed Iphones when it comes to smartphones! Android phones are great to root.....lot better customizations compared to a Iphone....Just my 2 freaking cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......

None the less Android has surpassed Iphones when it comes to smartphones! Android phones are great to root.....lot better customizations compared to a Iphone....Just my 2 freaking cents!
    iPhone is all about not allowing user customization.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What kept RIM afloat for so long is the way Blackberry handles your contacts.

Consumer phones are generally "One number per entry". So in order to have Bob's cell, work, e-mail, etc. you needed 4 separate Bob's.

iPhone contacts can have multiple fields and sync from Outlook. So Blackberry users love them, and are jumping ship.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......

Hahaha! Then why do people Jail Break their IPhones & Ipads!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, Yup......

Because Apple updates are nothing more than new ways to block the outside world, disguised as a "security update".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    better question is wht do people jailbreak their iPhones, and risk voiding the warranty, when they could have purchased a Droid. The could have also avoided the headache of finding new ways to jailbreak the phone once the install a quote unquote "Security patch form Apple".
    Quote Quote