VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not sure where to put this
    having trouble with utorrent/torrents in general
    need to download via torrent a copy of adobe reader as doing it via their website wont work
    i had orbit which controlled downloads but i uninstalled it..but now all downloads say they are going to orbit when one doesnt exist on my computer

anyway after going to a page and trying a download i think it was rapidshare it came up with a pop up of mediadownloader which i didnt allow but somehow it installed on my computer./ i uninstalled it but now when i click to download torrents nothing happens

there used to pop up a window showing the file i click which of the files inside it want and it goes straight to utorrent now nothing !
    i click download but it looks like its about to work but doesnt
    sooooo frustrating
    please help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your best bet it to find out why the Adobe download is not working:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/

It sounds as if, by messing with torrents and unofficial sources, you may already have been bitten by malware of some sort. The Adobe link above works perfectly for me.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, what i am saying it when orbit was on my computer any download would go through that and come up in a window. i removed orbit but when i click on that adobe download link a page comes up saying this has been sent to orbit but i dont have orbit anymore
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    ...but i dont have orbit anymore
    Well, obviously, you still have something of Orbit remaining on your system.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a restart fixed files being added to utorrent but the whole orbit thing is confusing trying to send dowloads to orbit when it is no longer on my computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Torrents are not downloads....and downloads are not torrents.
    üTorrent cannot "download" that file from Adobe. You cannot "download" a torrent without a program like üTorrent.
    That file you want from the Adobe site is one executable file. A torrent is many many pieces of a file scattered all over the world.
    That "Rapidshare, Mediadownloader popup, installing without your knowledge" scenario you discussed in your first post suggests you may have already fallen victim to some sort of malware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From what I saw on a quick web search, your problem with Orbit isn't uncommon. The best advice I saw was to look at your browser plugins/addons for Orbit and disable/delete that. It seems the Orbit uninstaller doesn't do that.

I quit using Adobe Reader quite some time ago. It's bloatware, IMO. I use the freeware Foxit PDF reader instead and it works fine. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Your browser is still associating .torrent files with Orbit. Use its options dialog to remove or change the association.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    üTorrent cannot "download" that file from Adobe. You cannot "download" a torrent without a program like üTorrent.
    That file you want from the Adobe site is one executable file. A torrent is many many pieces of a file scattered all over the world.
    That "Rapidshare, Mediadownloader popup, installing without your knowledge" scenario you discussed in your first post suggests you may have already fallen victim to some sort of malware.
    no you totally misunderstood me
    i said i wanted to download adobe reader as a torrent, which i did, from a torrent site. i did this because when i tried to do it directly from adobe on their website, it would be assosciated with orbit and not download. a page would come up saying this has been sent to orbit but nothing would happen so i wouldnt be able to download it
    i found the file on a torrent site and downloaded it throught utorrent
    my problem with utorrent was once i deleted/uninstalled a pop up program that came onto my computer the pop for utorrent when i click download torrent wouldnt come up anymore
    restarting the comp fixed that
    however the orbit problem still exists i cant seem to get rid of it all on my computer so downloads arent assosciated with it at all
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    no you totally misunderstood me
    And you are not listening.
    Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    however the orbit problem still exists i cant seem to get rid of it all on my computer so downloads arent assosciated with it at all
    What web browser you use? Internet explorer or Firefox?
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you cannot download it directly from Adobe here:
    http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/direct/

...then try downloading it from the FileHippo archive:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_adobe_reader/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reinstall Orbit, it's harmless.
    If you don't want to use it, look at its options and it should tell you how to uninstall its browser plugin so you can use your browser to download normally, then you can uninstall Orbit cleanly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I quit using Adobe Reader quite some time ago. It's bloatware, IMO. I use the freeware Foxit PDF reader instead and it works fine. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/
    I agree.

Adobe has turned into another Norton, Nero, even Apple (for PC), just bloatware that takes forever to install, load, etc. and is 80% useless.

Foxit actually defined itself as the reader to use if you don't want to use Adobeware, and it's working for them. And I too think theirs is so much nicer. And finally we have a Magifying glass for PDF that works as it's supposed to.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm not sure how Norton Antivirus which takes around a minute to install can be called bloatware.

I like it better than the free A/V products. It isn't what it used to be several years ago.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    I'm not sure how Norton Antivirus which takes around a minute to install can be called bloatware.

I like it better than the free A/V products. It isn't what it used to be several years ago.
    Maybe Norton has changed for better since 1999 , but I don`t feel like checking that right now

BTW: It`s not difficult to write a tiny installer that can fill an HDD with gigabytes of garbage and set up a service that eats both the CPU and the RAM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Norton may or may not be a quick installation, but the way it just takes over your computer, slows it down, gives useless warnings, does useless things (deleting shortcuts? c'mon...) and catches very little in the way of true malware comes close enough to what may be deemed "bloatware", regardless of the definition.

Norton was very good once, and a de facto standard for Anti-Virus protection. But in recent years it's very much like that fat cat, that sits around and does nothing, eats tons of expensive food all while the pesty mice, that should be getting caught, are running circles around it and having a party wrecking your home and its resources.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Norton may or may not be a quick installation, but the way it just takes over your computer, slows it down, gives useless warnings, does useless things (deleting shortcuts? c'mon...) and catches very little in the way of true malware comes close enough to what may be deemed "bloatware", regardless of the definition.

Norton was very good once, and a de facto standard for Anti-Virus protection. But in recent years it's very much like that fat cat, that sits around and does nothing, eats tons of expensive food all while the pesty mice, that should be getting caught, are running circles around it and having a party wrecking your home and its resources.
    When was the last time you used Norton?

I don't see it using up much resources or causing a slowdown. It works for me. I agree some years ago it had gotten to be a hog. I suspect that they did a complete rewrite because it isn't what it was or I wouldn't have gone back to it.

If you do a new windows you can download a trial version and see for yourself.

Note that I'm talking Norton Antivirus with Antispyware not Norton 360 which seems to install really quick too. My only objection is I see so many of the 360 with a red x because they never configure the backup.

I just took a look at a Sony laptop with Pentium m 1.5Ghz & 512Mb memory. It is sitting here at 1% CPU usage and 548Mb PF and it runs fine with the 2012 Norton A/V w A/S. That's with all the Sony junk running too.

I just don't see the resource hog from Norton that people always cite.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the big complaints about Norton in the past were concerning the Norton Internet Security package that did seem to cause problems, at least on my systems. Not uncommon when one program seems to want to do 'everything'. I haven't used Norton for years, so I've no idea how it performs now.

I stay away from downloader helpers as I don't have a use for them. If you install any type of add on internet program you should do a little research first to see if it may have any negative affects on your system operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When was the last time you used Norton?
    Been a while, I will admit. (Maybe a few years.)

I agree some years ago it had gotten to be a hog. I suspect that they did a complete rewrite because it isn't what it was or I wouldn't have gone back to it.
    Well, even though I haven't tried it in a few years, the hog-reports on it continued after the fact, but I don't disagree that it is very possible that in recent times Symantec did get that message too and did that re-write. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case lately, especially more-so now that I just checked and their website does say "faster".

If you do a new windows you can download a trial version and see for yourself.
    Maybe I will. But I'm currently at an equilibrium with my system and don't want to mess with the ecosystem. But I will take your word for it next time I find I'm looking for an anti-crapware (or whatever they call it these days) package.

Just as much as I'm quick to criticize, I'm open-minded enough to give credit when changes are made.

I just don't see the resource hog from Norton that people always cite.
    You're likely using a different version than what people remember in recent times. Norton did turn off alot of folk so it would take a while before more people start reporting how good it might be lately.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I tend to lump adware, spyware, viruses etc into a Malware category. None of them are good for your system. They at least slow down internet browsing.

FWIW I also like how Norton has made it easier to have the latest version. Just click help and choose to check for the latest version. That's why my systems that were running Norton A/V 2011 are now running the 2012 version. People that just renew and don't also make sure to get the latest version may not be fully protected.

I see many infected computers here at work from customers and they all have one of several problems.

1. No Antivirus cause it slows down the system according to the customer. Not as much as a bad virus I say.
    2. Expired Antivirus.
    3. Client software for Torrents.
    4. Pirated software. CrackZ sites are notorious for installing viruses IMO. with pirated software that was patched to bypass antipiracy measures, you don't know what else they added.

Summary: I would never go onto the internet without protection.
    Quote Quote