VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

I have an Alienware M17xR3 laptop that has 1 HDMI 1.4 OUT port and 1 HDMI 1.3 IN port. That's right, an HDMI IN port.

I would like to know what kind of software I can use to grab video using that port. I'm no video expert, but it seems to me that SCREEN CAPTURE programs are NOT the way to go. I'm thinking that since HDMI is digital, I could launch a recording program that does not necessarily have a user interface showing the actual video signal coming in. All I want is let the video pour in, in real-time, and record that in the purest possible way, and then save an MP4 file when the show is over.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  2. But maybe this is repeater input (internal repeater IC without capture) - behavior similar to amplifiers with HDMI input?
    Quote Quote  
  3. HDMI in is pretty useless for capture because almost all HDMI sources you would want to record will be HDCP encrypted. The only unprotected HDMI will be things like camcorders where you're better off transferring the compressed digital data directly. The HDMI input port on that laptop is meant for using its display as a TV. It probably has no provisions for capture.

You might be able to use some screen capture software like Camtasia, Fraps, or Virtualdub. But you already know that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th Oct 2011 at 09:06.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For capture, you need one of these:

http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv7000d.html

I'd like one myself but it's $500+ I can't afford at the moment...
    Quote Quote