VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am running Windows 7 64 Bit Acer Slim Tower with a built in card reader. I can't get the card reader to recognize anything. USB ports are fine. The reader has worked in the past, but now it says I need to format disk. Okay, I tried that and it says Windows cannot format disk. Any advice on what the problem is? I checked foe an updated driver and the one I have is the latest. I have tried different cards and no change.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they are cheaply made and sometimes just die. if you are handy you can take the tower apart and check all the wiring in the reader and the connections to the motherboard.

easiest fix is most likely to buy a cheap plug-in usb card reader.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. What aedipuss said plus open the computer and pull the little plug that supplies power and signal to the card reader and re-insert. That worked for me once.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will do, thanks
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you have to buy another one reader, I recommend this one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MRW620-U1-181-Internal/dp/B001AI6CNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...7894579&sr=8-1
    Get the model number from here. You could always buy it from another source if you wish.

I can personally verify that this reader works under Win 7 64 bit with no additional software needing to be installed. I read quite a few reports about various readers that don't work at all under Win 7 64 bit and it seems a bit random as to why some models work and some don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks on that. I do have an external reader, but it would be nice for the internal to work as the computer isn't very old at all.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  7. I get about a year from mine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I should mention that the device I recommended only has a USB connector. If you have an internal USB connector on your motherboard then this is no problem. It's been a while since I've bought a PC made by a manufacturer so I have no idea if Acer puts motherboards in theirs with internal USB connectors or not. Internal USB connectors seem pretty standard on motherboards today if you're building your own system.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Vbot, did you try my suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Vbot, did you try my suggestion?
    Sorry, I haven't, yet. Working swing shift and gone all day today. Tomorrow, I plan to open up the tower and see what's up. I'll try it and if it doesn't work, I might get a replacement. My tower is a slim Acer, so the drive has to be about 3.5".
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote