VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'd like to replace my DVD player and am looking for an inexpensive model with a USB socket that can be used for DivX playback. Can someone please recommend a player as follows...

It's doesn't need to be Blueray just capable of playing all types of single layer writable DVD.

With the USB socket I'd like to be able to connect a 512GB hard drive, containing DivX/Xvid files, which I understand will probably need to be formatted as FAT32.

It would be nice to be able to play a DVD that have been backed up to the hard drive, by just selecting the VIDEO_TS folder, but I understand it's unlikely I'll find a player to support that.

Needless to say I'd like the player to be region free, or a hack available, and native PAL with NTSC support.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vonsworld View Post
    Needless to say I'd like the player to be region free, or a hack available, and native PAL with NTSC support.
    Quite a few Philips models fit this criteria. That will be about your only hope nowadays I think.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Philips DVP3560! Does all that and the upscaling to HD is excellent. I play many DVIX & XVID from a thumb drive in the USB input that look great on my 40" flatscreen. I play classic films to new films & they all look terrific. And the best part is I paid less then $40.00 for it. What a bargin.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I second the recommendation for the DVP3560. The hack listed here still works. Follow the Feb. 2011 instructions as they are a bit clearer.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/philips-dvp3560/10922

Note that if you install any firmware updates that they may break the hack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    It's a couple of years old now, but my Pioneer DV400V has a USB port, plays DivX and as an added bonus, plays discs from all regions!
    Quote Quote