VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to compress a 2 hour movie into 2-3 seconds to make a kind of quick time shift effect. I use premiere but it doesn't allow me to go under certain % and I would like to produce a standalone lossless clip anyway.

What software can achieve these kind of effect?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    take 60 random pictures and make a video. it will look like any movie compressed to your request.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
    You'll also need ChangeFPS() because no player will play a video at 100,000 fps.

And at 24 or 30 fps, with every frame from unrelated shots of the video, you won't be able to tell what's going on. You need to display every frame for 1/10 second or more to really be able to perceive it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is this some sort of DOS command line or something? I can't get what it is. I was looking into a more simple solution in software, the most complex tool I have is vdub, although I'm a bit more used to it, I just don't know it by hart. The closest solution I've been is to go in video /FrameRate and rate fps to around 300 and convert to 300fps, it partially worked but the file is too heavy and unplayable in players (but I can edit it).

Thanks for the suggestions again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can do it in an editor if you really want. here's a 20 minute tv show compressed to 2 sec using vegas. a movie would run 5-6 times faster.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by aedipuss; 1st Oct 2011 at 14:03.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might try 'Decimate by' in VirtualDub. That will at least cut down the size of the file. You shouldn't need every frame displayed anyhow to achieve your desired effect.
    Try a large number like 60, then save the file in 'Direct stream copy'. Load that back into VD and change the frame rate back to the original fps and see how that looks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you can do it in an editor if you really want. here's a 20 minute tv show compressed to 2 sec using vegas. a movie would run 5-6 times faster.
    That's weird. I did the same thing with a random video yesterday to see exactly what it would look like. And used a Big Bang Theory episode too!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You might try 'Decimate by' in VirtualDub. That will at least cut down the size of the file. You shouldn't need every frame displayed anyhow to achieve your desired effect.
    Try a large number like 60, then save the file in 'Direct stream copy'. Load that back into VD and change the frame rate back to the original fps and see how that looks.
    It can be done in a single step in VirtualDub. For example, in a 2 hour 29.97 fps movie, in the Frame Rate controls:

In the "Source Rate Adjustment" box enable "Change Frame Rate To []" and set the rate to 100000 (or some other big number that will give the running time you want).

In the "Frame Rate Conversion" box select "Convert To FPS" and the original frame rate (or whatever you want).

That will make the 2 hour video run for about 2 seconds. How did I come up with 100000 fps? A two hour movie has a running time of 7200 seconds (60 seconds per minute * 60 minutes per hour * 2 hours) . At 30 fps that's 216000 frames. To play that number of frames in 2 seconds requires 108000 fps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    That's weird. I did the same thing with a random video yesterday to see exactly what it would look like. And used a Big Bang Theory episode too!

bizarre... s01e01 here i used vegas to squish it on the timeline.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    And used a Big Bang Theory episode too!
    bizarre... s01e01 here i used vegas to squish it on the timeline.
    I used a later episode because it was on my computer (an episode I watched recently). I could tell you used Vegas because of the frame blending. VirtualDub uses simple decimation. Attached is an example for the OP.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas can take PNG snapshots of single frames, then you can bring them back in as a still image sequence, but for Premiere I dunno.

A secret tip for doing this stuff is to render out multiple times, or "distilling".
    Quote Quote