VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a strange problem that has recently started occurring with AVCHD disks I'm creating - playback on my Sony Blu Ray player is extremely choppy, yet the m2ts files on the disk and on the hard drive of the PC that was used to create the files, and burn the disks, play faultlessly on that PC.

Meanwhile, disks that I previously created using the same set-up still play fine on the Blu Ray player. I can also burn disks from the editing utility that came with my camcorder - Sony 'PMB' - that play correctly on the Blu Ray player (though I guess there is no reauthoring going on in that case).

Frame rate is 29.970, if that means anything, and the resolution is 1920X1080 - although the problem also occurred at a lower resolution. I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 to create the problem files.

Does anyone know what could be going on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andy90 View Post
    I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 8 to create the problem files.

Does anyone know what could be going on?
    Describe your export format settings. If the other discs work, something is wrong with your Cyberlink encodes.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What brand and type of discs are you using? I specifically want to know about the problem discs. Also, what speed do you burn at?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Describe your export format settings. If the other discs work, something is wrong with your Cyberlink encodes.
    Would files created with incorrect encodes play correctly on the PC?

The disk files are produced using AVCHD export settings from PowerDirector 8. For burning, I used UDF2.5, and have tried various burn speeds, 3X, 6X, and 8X. I've tried a couple of burning programs, and even transferred the disk files to another computer and burned them to disk there. All disks exhibited the same problem in the Blu Ray player.

It's all so goddam weird.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    What brand and type of discs are you using? I specifically want to know about the problem discs. Also, what speed do you burn at?
    Not sure what type of disks I'm using - I believe they're Sony, but I can't check right now. However, I've been using the same disks from the same pack for a while, and previously burned disks are still playing in the Blu Ray player fine. As I was saying above, I've tried a number of burn speed settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andy90 View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Would files created with incorrect encodes play correctly on the PC?
    In a nutshell - yes. You could indeed successfully play files on a PC that your player will vomit on.

Lower speed burning is ALWAYS better for this kind of issue, so if you do any more tests stick to 4x or lower. The problem could be bad media. Sony discs are a crapshoot with some coming from the best manufacturers and some coming from the worst. I've not heard of them mixing discs from different manufacturers in the same container, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out offhand either. The problem could be that your player is having problems. Or it could be that your burner has issues but since you tried burns on another PC, that's unlikely.

If you want to spend more money and rule out bad media, go online (sorry but going to physical stores won't help you here as all they sell are crap discs) to http://www.supermediastore.com or http://www.rima.com and buy some Verbatim DataLifePlus DVDs or anything by Taiyo Yuden. Burn at 4x or lower and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the tips, guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most players won't play AVCHD camcorder format but will play an AVCHD disc format. I don't think Cyber producer v8 knows the difference. Current version is 11.

Try free multiAVCHD as alternate.
    http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/tutorial.php

What model Sony BD player? They seem to vary on format support.
    Last edited by edDV; 30th Sep 2011 at 23:44.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote