VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all!

I'm really looking for a good method for converting videos to flv files. I would like to achieve similar quality/size ratio like on megavideo or putlocker on linux, preferably with command line tool like ffmpeg or mencoder.

I'm currently using ffpresets with x264 in ffmpegï, my problem is that

1) my quality is better and size is the same as megavideo/putlocker video but the encoding needs too much time (hq presets with ffmpeg vcodec x264)

2) on faster x264 presets with same size like megavideo/putlocker the quality is worse: more blocky and darker (i noticed that x264 encodes are always darker even with hq presets, i don't know the reason)

I believe that megavideo /putlocker isn't using a very CPU intensive script, after all they have to encode a lot of videos in a reasonable time.

So please, if you have a good and fast command line encoding method for flv, or some advices, please post it. It doesn't have to be top quality, just similar to putlocker/megavideo: little bit blurry but smooth withouth too much blockyness, and as bright as on the two mentioned sites.

I hope you can help me!

Thank you!
    Last edited by mahjong007; 29th Sep 2011 at 08:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mahjong007 View Post
    I know that megavideo /putlocker isn�t using a very CPU intensive script, after all they have to encode a lot of videos in a reasonable time.
    How do you know that? They might use several hundred/thousand computers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    from the quality of the video. It do really seems that they are using fast scripts with good blur/deblock filtering. Also i was there when putlocker started, i highly doubt they had hundreds, or even tens of CPU-s when they started as a stream service.
    So put aside my intuition of those services, are there any fast (ffmpeg/mencoder) setting to produce similar quality/size flash videos?
    Quote Quote