VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all, using an iMac with Final Cut Studio 3 on it, and trying to export a project to Quicktime and I keep getting a General Error when doing it. The timeline has an Aspect Radio of HDTV (1080i) (16:9), a pixel aspect ratio of Square, and the compressor is Motion JPEG A. When I try to export it to Quicktime DV Anamorphic NTSC 48 khz I always get a General Error. I tried making up a new timeline, checking my scratch discs have enough space (they do) and even trying other settings, always get the same error. There's no transition or speed up or anything else where is always craps out...any ideas?

T
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you pull up your activity monitor to see how much Memory was in use?

Have you gone back through and checked the available scratch disc space?
    FCP uses that space to temporarily buffer what it writes, if the scratch disc
    is the same that the media files and project are on, it could be the problem.

Also, have you tried selecting the timeline again, and making sure
    to render all video? Sometimes a render file becomes corrupt ( bad spot on disc,
    general file disc corruption) and sometimes re-rendering will fix everything,
    or at least, point to where the problem lies.

Last, have you tried copying everything out, putting it in a new project file, saving that, and trying
    the render out, after saving the new project file, and then restarting the iMac?
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  3. Terry, scratch discs are fine, not a problem. I cannot render the video as that causes video jitters when playing back (it was shot on H264 and have found that by exporting it to Quicktime I get around that problem). And yes I copied everything and put it into a new timeline... What can I try next?

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hate to write this but do make sure you have the project backed up and then check for bad blocks on the HD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Tried exporting to both my internal hard drive and an external, same thing happens at the same spot on the project. So I know it's not bad blocks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the problem is one of the blocks where the source files are located.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Good guess but no, have tried that as well
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you export to anything? is every export setting giving you that error, or just that one...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Every export setting is doing it...I had a lot of success last night buy rendering the piece, then exporting...but there were still about 6 pieces still gave me the same problem even after rendering...would not export.
    Quote Quote