VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. I have ripped a few DVDs to ISO images and would like to ask if there's any standalone player out there that can play these ISO files via a USB 2.0 External hard drive? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think the best one is a Western Digital TV Plus, or WDTV Plus can. Along with playing Iso's with menu's, it can also play pretty much anything. Even VOB Files and M2TS files from Blu-Ray discs in full 1080p (though it doesn't play the DTS Mater Audio, it does play the core DTS 5.1 audio though inside the DTS-MA... at least the non Plus version of WDTV, which is what I have). But yeah, that was one of the benefits of the Plus is that it's able to play the DVD menu's. I think the non-plus just plays the chapters.

You can get the WDTV Plus currently for $85 on Amazon.com here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MVZ60I/ref=as_li_ss_til&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkC ode=as4&creativeASIN=B003MVZ60I&adid=1QHPQQ0TQ0970 6SKMG5H&
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nice. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    agreed, and if you use our friend google you'll find it takes homebrew which lets it do other cool things (i.e display average bitrate, cdrom drive hookup, usb hub support, etc)
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would think that any player[media,Br, or DVD] that will read NTFS will play iso.

However, I'm not a big fan of the WD player.

I have an early version. Pre live. I know that the newer versions have made improvements in the playing ability of the device. But, my complaint has never been with the device itself. Even the older version plays okay. But compared to my other players, I find that as simple as it sounds, the WD just doesn't have enough buttons on the remote.

The buttons on the remote enable the device to do stuff and with the WD you usually have to go thru 2 or 3 drop down menus to do just about anything because it doesn't have enough buttons.

With all the improvements made and all the popularity of the WD, I think it's time for them to come up with a respectful remote. One that actually does stuff.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    I would think that any player[media,Br, or DVD] that will read NTFS will play iso.

However, I'm not a big fan of the WD player.

I have an early version. Pre live. I know that the newer versions have made improvements in the playing ability of the device. But, my complaint has never been with the device itself. Even the older version plays okay. But compared to my other players, I find that as simple as it sounds, the WD just doesn't have enough buttons on the remote.

The buttons on the remote enable the device to do stuff and with the WD you usually have to go thru 2 or 3 drop down menus to do just about anything because it doesn't have enough buttons.

With all the improvements made and all the popularity of the WD, I think it's time for them to come up with a respectful remote. One that actually does stuff.

Tony
    A little more work on the Search function would help also. It's totally not intuitive. Every time I go to use it I remember I've forgotten how it works.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 28th Sep 2011 at 18:07.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Many do, many don't.

Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    However, I'm not a big fan of the WD player... (it) doesn't have enough buttons on the remote... The buttons on the remote enable the device to do stuff and with the WD you usually have to go thru 2 or 3 drop down menus to do just about anything because it doesn't have enough buttons.
    LOL. Yes, that is an issue. The WDTV Live Hub (with internal hard drive) has a bigger remote with more buttons and a very different interface. I don't know if it's "enough" though.

Maybe the Boxee Box or Popcorn Hour or Realtek 1185? Here's a good reference site for media players:
    http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wish I could try some of the other ones. I hate buttons that do different things when you are in a different "mode." I've had WD 1st gen. for 2 years and I didn't realize the Prev and Next chapter buttons doubled as Page Up and Page Down when in menu mode. I've been hitting the stupid Up and Down Arrows a zillion times!! Guess I should have read the documentation. But I figured they worked the same as DVD Prev and Next. Wrong!! Better late than never I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Seagate freeagent theater plus or not plus.

Just connect your computer to your tv & use VLC
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Seagate freeagent theater plus or not plus.

Connecting your computer to your tv would work but is kind of clunky, you wouldn't get any remote either (unless you buy one).

Have you tried the Freeagent, how does it compare to the WDTV?
    Last edited by bobthegoat2001; 29th Sep 2011 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by bobthegoat2001 View Post
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Seagate freeagent theater plus or not plus.

Connecting your computer to your tv would work but is kind of clunky, you wouldn't get any remote either (unless you buy one).
    That reminds me. I don't have WD Live but I do have MakeMKV. From being on the forums I take it that it can act as a server for video content. I don't remember the particulars but details can be had on the forum if anyone is researching such options.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The Oppo BDP-93 supports direct playback of ISO images of decrypted DVDs and Blu-Ray discs on devices connected to it via USB (ie flash drive or external HDD) and eSATA (ie external HDD). Support for ISO images on an optical disc is not supported. The BDP-93 has support for NTFS, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The Oppo sounds nice, other than it costs $500. Let me check my pockets and see if I can find enough change.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My first upconverting DVD player was an OPPO. The feature I really miss that I haven't seen on anything else is 1.2 zoom. If I had a good quality 4:3 video I could set it to upconvert as anamorphic 16x9 with the pillars. With the 1.2 zoom it looked pretty close to a 16x9 upconverted video. I don't understand why other players don't have it. 2x zoom is pretty close to useless.

The down side was it didn't play any divx or avi with resolution higher than 720x576. It's really annoying to downsize video only to then upconvert it on the player. But that's why I have the WD box.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by bobthegoat2001 View Post
    The Oppo sounds nice, other than it costs $500. Let me check my pockets and see if I can find enough change.
    Yeah, unfortunately, it's not exactly cheap but it's a wonderful standalone player and they've been adding features since it was released. Good selection of portable media playback, great BD playback, very good upconversion of DVDs although IMO the BDP-83 still edges out the BDP-93 on DVD upconversion but Oppo has been tweaking things and gotten better, streaming services, etc. Throw in a region-free hardware mod and you have a very solid playback device. In the end, you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Asus O!Play plays DVD ISO's, also with full dvd menu support.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, I have three FreeAgent Theaters. I don't think they make them anymore. They have a way of turning themselves on again but you can just turn them off. It was a great solution at the time, they were only like $35 on sale at Newegg.
    Quote Quote