VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My apologies if wrong forum... here is my set up...

Currently I have cable internet no cable. My modem is in my living room. in my back yard where my cable setup is there is a 2 way splitter. of course main line going into in and living room one out other out another room my 3rd room not even hooked up...so i tried hooking up an in door antenna to the splitter went in and checked my channels..works perfectly so i know the wiring and that antenna will work with eachother although i would get a good outdoor antenna...anyways. i did some research and didnt find the scenario i am in.

is there any way to use the antenna with all 3 rooms and still have the modem on one room with antenna in that room as well by using a splitter inside and what not. do they make splitters with 2 inputs and 3 outputs? or would i need to use multiple splitters out at the box. well aware the more splitters the worse things can become. of course my ultimate goal is to use a nice outdoor on the roof antenna and have it work for all the tvs (3) in the house. thanks!

sorry if i explained every stupid detail just wanted to paint the picture well and not leave anything out
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They don't make splitters with 2 inputs and 3 outputs that combines the two incoming signals you are asking about. I have only seen something like that for combining satellite service with the signal from an antenna, and there is only one output. Also, the cable modem should have a dedicated coax cable of its own, not one shared with your antenna.

Disconnect the coax cable connected to your cable modem from the splitter. Disconnect the the incoming cable Internet service line from the splitter. Use a coupler to connect the cable Internet service to the coax cable line connected to your modem. Connect the antenna to the splitter where the incoming cable Internet service line used to be.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2011 at 22:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    which cable provider is it? most won't allow internet without tv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im using cox communications for HSI. so usually_quiet from what your describing with hooking up the HSI to coupler then to the line that goes into the modem. that means that incoming line would not have the ability to use the antenna correct? and if so then is there anyway you know of to make that line use the HSI and antenna?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlos28355 View Post
    so usually_quiet from what your describing with hooking up the HSI to coupler then to the line that goes into the modem. that means that incoming line would not have the ability to use the antenna correct?
    You would replace the HSI line coming into your current splitter with a line from your antenna. The HSI line will be connected to the line going to the modem using a coupler, bypassing the splitter.

Originally Posted by carlos28355 View Post
    is there anyway you know of to make that line use the HSI and antenna?
    Not that I am aware of, and I already told you it is a bad idea to do that. If there is a TV in the room with the modem, you need to run another line to it from the splitter. Either that or run another line for the modem.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Sep 2011 at 23:21.
    Quote Quote