VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, first time poster, so first up, hello!

I have a question regarding the current model of Canopus ADVC 300.

Would it let me 'rip' (such a dirty word!) from PAL DVD's via Final Cut's 'Capture Now' using just the composite output of a regular DVD player into the Canopus, out of the Canopus using a firewire 400-800 into a new PowerMac using FCP.

I feel I should explain the situation and ensure you that I'm not a pirate! In education and as an AV unit I introduce my students to the world of Foley. Part of this involves letting them choose 2 mins of a film of their choice before ripping the scene (video only) and re-recording all of the audio; Foley, SFX, ADR & Soundtrack.

We had a old Canapus unit before, but that has unfortunately given up the ghost. With the older capture card if you tried to just log it into FCP using a regular DVD player I presume what would have been copyright protection made the captured video appear green. However if you help the button on the Canopus unit down as you powered it up and opened the Log and Capture window then it would allow you to capture the footage in glorious colour.

After all of that, my question is a simple one, would my students be able to rip short sections from a DVDs the same way using the current Canopus ADVC 300?

Many thanks!

Detta
    Quote Quote  
  2. As an additional question, would an ADVC 100 do this job just the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Ripping" the DVD to your hard drive, then doing a quick edit of one of the VOB files to get your clips would be a whole lot easier. DVDFabDecrypter is the preferred weapon of choice around here. You may be able to take just once chapter of the with DVDFabDecrypter too(not too sure if this free version can do that).
    Keep the program VOB2MPEG in mind too. That will take what you "Rip" from the DVD and transform it to a simple MPEG file recognizable by many editing programs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detta View Post
    After all of that, my question is a simple one, would my students be able to rip short sections from a DVDs the same way using the current Canopus ADVC 300?
    No, it would have to be an early serial number ADVC-100 (~pre 2005). Later models lacked that feature.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for your reply, how about an ADVC-110?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You could have been done by now had you read my earlier post.
    Quote Quote  
  7. hech54, my apologies!

I'm at work now, and only got one post reply request. Expecting only one answer I read the bottom reply only.

Thank you too for the information, I will be sure to check it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Detta View Post
    Thanks for your reply, how about an ADVC-110?
    Only pre 2005 ADVC-100.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote