VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am transferring a bunch of Hi8 tapes to my computer using the above camcorder. I just take the iLink (IEEE1394) output from the camera into a firewire port on my PC and capture using Vegas 9 (Windows 7).

Most of the time the capture are fine. But I have segments of video and in some cases entire tapes where the audio is distorted with a pulsing noise overlaying on top of the video. The video looks fine on the camcorder screen and speaker.

I am doing this for a friend so I don't know if some tapes were recorded in SP and others LP (Hi8) but given the camera is playing them fine it shouldn't matter should it?

Does anybody have any ideas where I should be looking

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
    I am transferring a bunch of Hi8 tapes to my computer using the above camcorder. I just take the iLink (IEEE1394) output from the camera into a firewire port on my PC and capture using Vegas 9 (Windows 7).

Most of the time the capture are fine. But I have segments of video and in some cases entire tapes where the audio is distorted with a pulsing noise overlaying on top of the video. The video looks fine on the camcorder screen and speaker.

I am doing this for a friend so I don't know if some tapes were recorded in SP and others LP (Hi8) but given the camera is playing them fine it shouldn't matter should it?

Does anybody have any ideas where I should be looking

Thanks
    Try "locking" the camera to analog mode. Usually what the default setting for those types of camcorders are; is the auto select mode. It automatically senses whether you have a D8 tape or analog video8/Hi8. I used a TRV480 (NTSC) for the exact same procedure and didn't have any problems.
    However I converted everything to miniDV and DV files on an external hard drive.

Could the original tapes be damaged?
    What about the Firewire port and cable?

To me it sounds like an issue on the transfer or computer side since the tapes play fine int he actual camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post
    The video looks fine on the camcorder screen and speaker.
    The camcorder speaker is tiny. Try connecting camcorder audio out to a good stereo system and see if you hear similar audio distortion. The Hi8 AFM audio is subject to tracking issues but Hi8 AFM usually plays back OK. So possible causes are audio recording issues (in the tape) or tape tracking issues. If the latter, you would need to try a different camcorder or player because Hi8 and D8 camcorders auto adjust tracking.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote