VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4767/pricing-revealed-for-first-amd-bulldozer-fx-chips

it looks like AMD is pricing these cpu's very aggressively, 6 cores with 14mb of cache for under $190 and 8 cores with 16mb cache for $220 compares favorably with sandy bridge pricing. the real question is how do these perform but i have trouble believing that they won't be at least competitive under well threaded workloads, especially with all that cache (the L2 and L3 caches have to be exclusive, i.e. the data isn't mirrored from one to the other) and aggressive turbo.

can't wait to finally see some benchmarks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's obvious how well they perform, just like with all their other processors: AMD has to price their CPUs a little lower than similarly performing Intel chips. Lower because they have to overcome Intel's name recognition and huge advertising budget. If they charged much less they'd be leaving money on the table. If the charged more they wouldn't sell any chips. They'd be insane to price them any differently. They're running a business, not a fanboy club.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Sep 2011 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It's obvious how well they perform, just like with all their other processors:
    I remember a time when AMD chips outperformed Intel chips and were cheaper than similar offerings from Intel. AMD is becoming innovative again it just a matter of time before they steal the crown once again. I believe we will soon see AMD chips out perform Intel chips, like in the next 5 years.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    I remember a time when AMD chips outperformed Intel chips and were cheaper than similar offerings from Intel. AMD is becoming innovative again it just a matter of time before they steal the crown once again. I believe we will soon see AMD chips out perform Intel chips, like in the next 5 years.
    Intel had some of the most evil business practices back in the P4 days (paying the big OEMs not to offer AMD based systems) and deserved much more than the little slap on the wrist they got from the DOJ. And it's impressive what AMD has done given that Intel is 10 times bigger and now a full fab process ahead. But it's not likely they will take the performance crown away from Intel. Any time Intel feels threatened they can just step on the gas a little to keep head. AMD will remain under Intel's thumb for the foreseeable future.
    Quote Quote