VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been googling around and tried all the free/shareware but they all have a problem trying to recognize the file. It's a .WMA 5megs in size that was recorded on a Olympus DM-20 over the weekend. Not sure what happened to it but I need to recover it. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Any ideas?
    Yes --- upload the pesky .WMA to this forum, so that we can examine it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MediaInfo can't open it, I even tried changing the extension. Are you sure this is a WMA file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's my problem also. Yes 100% sure.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like a container-less WMA stream, which is pretty useless.

I've managed to add a modified .WAV header to it, but so far it plays back as "100%-silence".

More details (WMA1 or WMA2, mono or stereo, 441.kHz or 48kHz, etc) might be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. WMA1 or WMA2 not sure it was recorded with a Olympus DM-20 that we've had for 7 years or so. Stereo. The manual says the sampling frequency is 44.1 kHz. The other items that recorded successfully have a bit rate of 32kbps if that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've tried the 32kbps bitrate, both the WMA1 and WMA2 "2CCs", but gotten nothing beyond some chirps and clicks here and there. I'm afraid your WMA recording not only lost the ASF header, but also went heavily corrupted.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 12th Sep 2011 at 15:35. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thank you very much for trying. Have a great day.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I know this is a very old thread - but I'm a bit desperate! I have a .wma file that is over 4 minutes in length but crashes after 2m6s. Trying to convert (using every converter known to man) crashes at the same place OR converts only the first 2m6s.

The file size is correct for the full 4m28s. I have tried everything I can - and am hoping someone on this thread can take a looksy and either confirm its a dud or point me in the right direction. Christmas spirit and all that.

Hope to hear soon!
    Jude
    Quote Quote