VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've god a real tough one.

I have a pretty sophisticated surround receiver that I'm using to manage the various sources connected to my TV.
    It was quite expensive at the time, so I'd rather not replace it (and the cabling) but it doesn't have HDMI which is where the problem arises.

I'm using the component video output from my Radeon HD4890, and I've set the output resolution to 1080p using Ati Tray Tools. That part is all fine. I can play 1080p sources from the computer through the receiver and on to the TV. But when I try to play a legitimately, legally purchased DVD in the computer on to the TV it only plays when windowed. Upon scaling it up to 1080p (or fullscreen, whatever comes first) the video stops. This is because of a resolution limit programmed into the DVD by our friends in the movie production business.

I know there are less-than-"legal" ways to pull the video off the disc and play it without the restriction. But what I would like to do is be able to pop in a DVD (or blu-ray) after I've bought it and just play it.

I understand this might be taboo, but I'm not asking how to do something illegal. I'm just trying to get past a system, the purpose of which was not to stop me from watching the movie, but to keep people from copying it.

Curious to know if there is a solution.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just use a player that doesn't support the macrovision flag and CGMS-A. VLC, for example.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM

That was easy.

Thanks jagabo
    Quote Quote