VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Wow this app is sweet, thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately, this only downloads the audio for that particular video. Any idea why and how I can obtain the entire video?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try Replay Media Catcher - I can capture the video you linked to (RTMP stream) with it.
    Personally, I could never get stream transport to work - ever.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mike,

Actually, I tried Replay Media Catcher and it crashes on that site. Can you try with your version?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AshleyQuick View Post
    Unfortunately, this only downloads the audio for that particular video. Any idea why and how I can obtain the entire video?
    It worked for me -- both audio and video. Are you sure you aren't just having problems playing the video at your end?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by AshleyQuick View Post
    Unfortunately, this only downloads the audio for that particular video. Any idea why and how I can obtain the entire video?
    It worked for me -- both audio and video. Are you sure you aren't just having problems playing the video at your end?
    Strange. I'm trying StreamTransport again and it "seems" to be working (because the Total Size is now much larger than last night ... as it should be). Once it's finished, I'll post the results. Thanks for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  7. StreamTransport worked. Thanks again everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to get this video http://sboa1yhw07x.legendmen.com/members/video-a.php?model=Kurt%20Aberdeen&title=Kurt-Aberdeen_1-700K&height=517&width=706 to download using Stream Transport, but no luck. How do get this to work ? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Try this software. I just tried it and am quite impressed. It's easy to use.

http://www.video-download-capture.com/
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    Try this software. I just tried it and am quite impressed. It's easy to use.

http://www.video-download-capture.com/
    Is it free? I can't tell by looking at the site.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by AshleyQuick View Post
    Is it free? I can't tell by looking at the site.
    Of course it's not free.
    Quote Quote  
  12. http://www.video-download-capture.com/video-download-compare

And it probably doesn't work with any more sites than a bunch of free plugins like Download Helper do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    http://www.video-download-capture.com/video-download-compare

And it probably doesn't work with any more sites than a bunch of free plugins like Download Helper do.
    I've never used Download Helper so I can't comment on that. Regardless, I used VDC this morning to download a Hulu video to my hard drive then play it successfully. By the way, there is a free demo download to try before buying.

Since I'm still shopping, is there any free, or low cost, software that will download Hulu videos? Everyone I've tried so far, other than VDC, don't.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  14. RTMP Explorer can download from free Hulu. I don't have an account so I don't know if it can download from paid Hulu.

RTMPDump can download just about all RTMP(E) videos but it's hard to find the exact URL for the video.

This thread has a lot of info about these programs:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/311893-How-to-download-flash-video-RTMP-RTMPE-strea...-free-software

I just used RTMP Explorer to download a 25 minute Adams Family episode. It took about a minute.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Sep 2011 at 21:55.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    RTMP Explorer can download from free Hulu. I don't have an account so I don't know if it can download from paid Hulu.

RTMPDump can download just about all RTMP(E) videos but it's hard to find the exact URL for the video.
    I found a download for RTMP Explorer & RTMP Dump OK but the installation instructions said it also needs rtmpsrv.exe.

"How to install RTMPExplorer:Copy rtmpsrv.exe to the same folder as rtmpexplorer.exe.Copy rtmpdump.exe to the same folder as rtmpexplorer.exe"

Where do I get the rtmpsrv.exe? By the way, I don't have paid Hulu either.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  16. Here's everything in one folder. I don't know if this is the most up to date versions but they work together to download from hulu.com.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Sep 2011 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the zip - that helps. I installed & can run it, but am not sure what's happening.

RTMP Explorer starts>I entered url>video runs OK. But: How do you know if it's actually recording or just playing? Additionally, where do I find the file/folder it's supposed to be recording to?
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  18. The CLI window will show activity when it's downloading. The files are saved in the same folder as rtmpExplorer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    The CLI window will show activity when it's downloading. The files are saved in the same folder as rtmpExplorer.
    I'm sorry but I don't really understand. I see activity on the rtmpExplorer GUI (is that the CLI?) alright, but can you be more specific regarding "The files are saved in the same folder as rtmpExplorer"? I have rtmpExplorer saved on my PC desktop. I see eight files in that folder but nothing even close to resembling a downloaded video.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    The CLI window will show activity when it's downloading. The files are saved in the same folder as rtmpExplorer.
    I'm sorry but I don't really understand. I see activity on the rtmpExplorer GUI (is that the CLI?)
    No, the CLI is the black window with only text.

Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    "The files are saved in the same folder as rtmpExplorer"? I have rtmpExplorer saved on my PC desktop. I see eight files in that folder but nothing even close to resembling a downloaded video.
    Then nothing has downloaded.

Here's the program in action downloading (just finished) an Alfred Hitchcock episode:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rtmpexp.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	8629

You can see "agave10...flv" in the Windows Explorer window, the CLI windows shows the video has completed downloading in 134 seconds, and you can see the video playing in the rtmpExplorer Window.

I tried it with a Dead Like Me episode that required logging in. It didn't seem to work with that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Sep 2011 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Miamifla View Post
    The first problem is that it requires you to Log In with a User Name & Password. { = have an account with them ? } That is irrespective of any technical issues.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Jagabo, You said:

"You can see "agave10...flv" in the Windows Explorer window, the CLI windows shows the video has completed downloading in 134 seconds, and you can see the video playing in the rtmpExplorer Window."

Seeing this screen grab makes me think that some thing was wrong with my zip file or I didn't open & extract it correctly. Mine doesn't reside in the C: Programs directory - it's in the desktop folder. Any ideas please?
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    Seeing this screen grab makes me think that some thing was wrong with my zip file or I didn't open & extract it correctly. Mine doesn't reside in the C: Programs directory - it's in the desktop folder. Any ideas please?
    It doesn't matter where the folder is. As long as the program has write access (eg, it won't work on a DVD, or a read-only network share) and all the bits and pieces are there.

And like I said, it doesn't work on all videos from hulu.com. Keep in mind that Adobe is in a cat and mouse game with the writers of download software. Adobe doesn't want you to be able to download the videos so they continuously change the protocol to make it difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Jagabo,

Based on the little I know, that now makes sense to me. The video I'm trying to download is. http://www.hulu.com/watch/255315/the-lost-films-of-laurel-and-hardy-leave-em-laughing. If you can spare the time could you please see if it will download for you? I'd much appreciate it.

In the meantime, since I learn faster by trying things "hands on", rather than reading text, I'm going to try downloading the same Hitchcock episode you did.
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by rckowal View Post
    The video I'm trying to download is. http://www.hulu.com/watch/255315/the-lost-films-of-laurel-and-hardy-leave-em-laughing. If you can spare the time could you please see if it will download for you?
    I was able to download it with rtmpExplorer. Got a 79 MB file.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have Hulu's ad servers blocked in my hosts file.

127.0.0.1 ads.hulu.com
    127.0.0.1 ll.a.hulu.com
    Where you would normally see ads I see an error message. Unfortunately, the error message stays on screen for as long as the ad would have. But at least I don't have to see the ads!
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Sep 2011 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Jagabo,

I just tried to record Leave em Laughing with rtmpExplorer. It wouldn't; suggesting that I have some thing wrong here.

In comparing the rtmp files in your grab to mine; 8 files are identical, however I see a Command.bat file on yours that doesn't appear on mine. Is that file needed to record?
    Best regards, Richard
    Quote Quote  
  27. Command.bat contains the rtmpdump command lines used to download the videos. It is created (or appended to) by rtmpExplorer when it downloads videos. Basically, it's just a log of what was downloaded.

I unblocked hulu.com's ad servers and tried downloading again. rtmpExplorer was unable to download the Leave 'em Laughing video. I tried three times. After blocking the ad severs again rtmpExplorer had no problems downloading the video. So something about blocking the ad servers is the trick. Add the two lines I quoted below to your C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\Hosts file. Use Notepad to edit the file.

The hosts file is usually pretty empty. Here's an example:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 ads.hulu.com
    127.0.0.1 ll.a.hulu.com
    If your hosts file has other lines, leave them there. Just add the two hulu lines.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Sep 2011 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote