VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, searching this forum has been a huge help in my forays into editing, but I've hit a wall with something.

I've been trying to use Vegas Pro 10 to do some re-editing on DVD project (all rights held by me, but regardless, it's not copy-protected so that's not a problem). At first, I actually converted the whole thing, making it way easier to work with but losing some quality. However, I didn't wanna settle for that quality loss, so I set myself to figuring out how to work with the VOB files themselves, with no re-encoding. The problem is, every time I open the VOB files (renamed to MPEG, or even converted to MPEG and joined with VOB2MPG), this is what happens: I press play, and the preview flickers, plays too fast, and then gets out of sync with the audio (which plays at normal speed, implying that it would get more out of sync if I let it continue). The sync also isn't consistent; it resets this at any particular point where I place the cursor and begin playback, or for instance, if the video is not playing and I select a frame, then press play, they begin in sync, and the sync problem begins again from that point. Thus, changing the video playback speed does not fix this problem. Here's everything I've tried, in order:

- Opened the VOB files directly. Obviously, no good.

- Imported the DVD using Vegas' "DVD Camcorder Disc" Import function. No good, because Vegas breaks up the chapters when it does this, and there is data lost at the end and beginning of each. It also picks up the wrong audio track. Now, I'm happy to use a converted audio track with the imported video... But the problems with the chapter breaks would cause an alternate audio track to be nearly impossible to sync. If I could get Vegas to convert these as a whole file with no chapter breaks, this method would be acceptable.

- Renamed VOB files to MPEG. They open up and drop in just fine, but that's when I discovered the fast playback/sync issue.

- Joined the VOB files into one MPEG using VOB2MPG. No dice... Same playback/sync problem.

- Went ahead and rendered, even with the above problems, thinking maybe it was just a preview issue. But no, rendered file has the same sync problems (but set in the file, if that makes sense; not resetting when jumping around in the video). Note that the original VOB files, both either renamed to MPEG or joined with VOB2MPG, play perfectly in VLC.

- Broke down and tried to convert to AVI using a lossless codec (HuffyUV) in virtualdubmod. VirtualDubMod ruins the aspect ratio... So, whole new problem. And, I'd rather not go this route. There HAS to be a way...

Please tell me someone else has had this problem... It's driving me nuts. Could I try using a VOB converter that "demuxes" the files? I don't really know what that would do, but I would much prefer not re-encoding these files. If I have to, can someone at least recommend a better lossless conversion method than virtualdub? Your help is MUCH appreciated, thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. VirtualDubMod ruins the aspect ratio...
    You can right click and interpret the aspect ratio within vegas. Often intermediate files are "seen" by vegas and other NLE's as square pixel

Could I try using a VOB converter that "demuxes" the files? I don't really know what that would do, but I would much prefer not re-encoding these files.
    You can use DGIndex file=>save project & demux video . This will give you elementary streams

Other options: maybe re-wrap in a transport stream (.m2ts, .ts) with tsmuxer

Do you have the original project & files saved? You could start with that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not sure what your problem is, i've never run into it. a vob is just a container holding the mpg, other files, and nav data. the mpeg is the same in or out of the vob.

post the info on your vob - mediainfo text mode copy/paste.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this is only happening to one disc I would suspect something is wrong with the footage - perhaps a corrupt index. Demuxing/Remuxing would usually resolve this. Worst case, demux and use restream to rewrite the index.

It is certainly not a problem I have seen with VOBs or MPG files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Demuxing/Remuxing would usually resolve this. Worst case, demux and use restream to rewrite the index.
    You guys are the best. Restream did the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh, but one weird thing I'll mention, just for the benefit of anyone else coming across this post...

The demuxed AC3 audio was causing the problem to occur again in the remuxed file (even after using restream on the video portion). I had to use audio from my prior converted file (which is totally fine, it syncs up normally).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try running your demuxed AC3 through AC3fix and see if it helps.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK guys...

So, AC3 fix didn't fix the problem, but I'm realizing what happened. Just for future reference, for anyone else having this problem (I know I hate when someone posts asking a question, but doesn't explain how it turned out)...

The file had a 3:2 pulldown, and DGIndex said there was an error in the field transition. It said it would fix it, but it didn't... Only restream did. As for why the audio messed it up again later, I have no clue, but I figure Vegas was only seeing some of the frames due to the pulldown format. Thus, it played the video faster than the audio.
    Quote Quote