VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought one of these from Maplin late 2006. It worked fine with my old dustcart computer that ran in Windows XP but it didn't get used that much.

In fact it spent more time in the original packaging than it did connected up! Circumstances I suppose!

I bought a new super-duper laptop last year which runs in Windows 7. It already has a rewriter but I thought maybe I would connect the external up and see if it worked with the new computer. My line of thinking was maybe I can do some direct disk to disk copying, just like I did on my old computer.

Answer is it doesn't and I can't figure why!

The OEM bundled software, (PowerDVD 6 and Nero 6), is obviously no good for my machine. PowerDVD DX comes as standard on my laptop and the Nero 6 is not upwardly compatible and only works in XP.

Also the Live Update program doesn't work. This is probably because the computer cannot see the DVD rewriter when it is connected up. Strangely, when you push in and pull out the USB plug, you hear the familiar "du-du" sound but when you go into Devices or Windows Explorer, the rewriter cannot be found. If it can't be found then Live Update cannot check the firmware and therefore cannot upgrade it.

So unless someone can suggest something, I will be packing it back in the box and consigning it to the attic!

So much for Plug 'n' Play!

Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't think you need a "live update"....sounds like you need drivers for the burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVD-Writeoff View Post
    familiar "du-du" sound?
    Say what now?

Burners don't have drivers, hech54. Those mount at the hardware level.

What's missing here is probably current burning software. ImgBurn, for example, not Nero.

On my laptop, burners and external hard drives can't be mounted on the right USB ports. Only the left ones work reliably. The ones on the right side are for other connectivity, like scanners. I think they're underpowered.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Guys,

The rewriter in question has external power.

I am plugging into the right hand side - by the way the laptop is a Dell 1564.

My operating system is Windows 7 - shouldn't this look after everything?

There is various burning software installed such as PowerDirector 7 (OEM) and Roxio which is preinstalled, so is that not enough along with all the other stuff that W7 provides?

There is already a rewriter integrally fitted so shouldn't the software for this help the external drive when fitted.

I am what you would call base level knowledge, so go easy on me!
    Quote Quote