VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I recently acquired media player HD, so I'm in the process of ripping my DVD collection to MVK files. I'm using handbrake.. but the audio volume is terribly low..

I've searched and can only really find a suggestion of setting FFDshow to mixdown audio to 2.0.
    Could somebody clarify how this is done in the FFD configuaration settings as I can't seem to find anything..

Are there either, other free conversion programs thatoffer volume boosting or an option to encode the audio to 2.0?

OR is there a free program that can re-encode the audio track to a higher volume or to 2.0 (whichever cures the issue)

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you reconverting the audio or just copying the ac3 dolby track in handbrake?

ffdshow is for computer playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can take advantage of FFDshow that way, assuming the converting program is using directshow
    to access the source files. I've done it may times in Virtualdub; open the source using the directshow input filter,
    and allow FFDshow's mixer to do it's magic, passing 2-channel PCM to Virtualdub where I can easily convert it mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey,

No im re encoding the audio to either aac or mp3.. neither make any difference to the volume.
    I'd read that the ffd encoder had something to do with the speaker configuration for the desired output audio?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the audio tab in handbrake, there is a slider labelled DRC - try moving it to the right (try between 2 and 3)
    and retry the encode.

If you want to do the audio separately so you can mux it in yourself, download and install avidemux
    32 bit - http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/binaries/2.5/SVN/7428/avidemux_2.5_r7428_win32.exe
    64 bit - http://avidemux.razorbyte.com.au/binaries/2.5/SVN/7428/avidemux_2.5_r7428_win64.exe

Open the source file in avidemux. At "audio" (on the left) set it to ac3(aften) or mp3(lame) depending on what you want.
    In "configure", set the bitrate.
    In "filters" set mixer to stereo and select "dynamic range compression" (OK out)

At the top, audio/save/save your file (eg myfile.mp3)

The processing in AVIdemux is quite slow, but the result is good.
    Quote Quote