length : 3hrs and 10 min.
    size : 700mb
    resolution : 960*543
    brip (h264)

to avi with this specs:
    resolution : 720*480
    other : original
    size after conversion : 2.14 gig

this conversion takes 58 minutes for me , and I want to know if it's normal or not. also video size has increased a lot and it looks strange to me .

My PC specs :

intel core i7 920
    ram : 3x1gb 1333 kingmax
    nvidia gtx 260
    windows7 32-bit sp1

program used for conversion : avs video converter

Sorry if my English is not good.

THANKS.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 4th Sep 2011 at 02:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why convert it. at 190 minutes and only 700mb in size it can't look like anything but trash to start with. either get the original source and make your own avi or just watch the mkv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, and (960x543)? Non-Mod16, Non-Even Vertical?
    That's just asking for trouble.
    Somebody was either very lazy, or completely stupid in the ways of Digital Video, or BOTH.

Probably was attempting to make a 16:9 and went overboard.

Good luck!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    can someone explain to me what kind of crack one has to be smoking to do any of the following:

1) take a 25+ mb/s 1080p 3+ hour blu-ray and transcode it to 960x543(?!?) at 700mb total size

2) see that a file with these specs is available and say to yourself "wow, that sounds like it must be a great quality encode" and then it.

3) decide that you will take the steamy pile of crap you just download and transcode it one more time to dvd spec mpeg-2 to try and get a dvd of said movie?

why not just rent the dvd for $1 from netflix for $1.50 rent the actual blu-ray.

seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    too much of the "if it's free, it's for me" sh1t, or too much dope smoking is all i can figure. or both with an added measure of absolutely no brain power. but there seems to be f'king a lot of it showing up around these parts recently.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. since it seems like it's 'funny time',..

960*543 + h.264 -> Nice! setting a non mod2 resolution requires H.264 4:4:4 profile.
    3hrs and 10 min. + size : 700mb + good/decent look -> can be archived for simple anime/cartoon material with the right filtering and vfr encoding

Somebody was either very lazy, or completely stupid in the ways of Digital Video, or BOTH.
    -> or just knew that mod16 doesn't help much with H.264 (not everyone still uses MPEG-2 and DV) unless you aim to be compatible to an old hardware decoder that only support mod16

size after conversion : 2.14 gig -> output size depends on your settings regarding target bitrate,..
    other : original -> h.264 in avi is not really supported that well and thus not recommend, on the other hand if you reencode and use anything else you will probably have major problems maintaining a decent quality level

this conversion takes 58 minutes for me , and I want to know if it's normal or not. -> depending on you settings around 100fps for sd material can be about right, a bit slow or fast as hell

also video size has increased a lot and it looks strange to me . -> 'looks strange' can mean anything

=> input material might be low quality, but does not have to be,..

why not just rent the dvd for $1 from netflix for $1.50 rent the actual blu-ray.
    because, netflix isn't really available in each country and most at least in europe the alternatives only offer bad quality and are far more expensive than netflix. So depending on where you live I can understand that people take there time to reencode stuff.

seriously, what the hell is wrong with these people?
    sometimes it's cheaper and gives better quality when you reencode stuff you already own; but I seriously doubt that avs video converter would be able to produce a decent quality output if you would lower the bitrate according to the picture size change. (going for around 460mb with 3+hrs material normally can't be done without some adjusting of filters etc. and a good knowledge of what is happening)

=> @Vitto: unless you plan to learn a lot about the video editing, compression, filtering, etc. you are probably better of with staying with the result you have

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank selur.

this is what kmplayer told me about the video :

General
    Complete name : *********\The Green Mile (1999) BRrip.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 755 MiB
    Duration : 3h 8mn
    Overall bit rate : 560 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-06-15 12:45:16
    Writing application : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') built on Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Video #1
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@3.1
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 3h 8mn
    Nominal bit rate : 549 Kbps
    Width : 960 pixels
    Height : 544 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.044
    Writing library : x264 core 68 r1183M f21daff
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=549 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

I'm sorry the height is 544 not 543.

the quality of the video is fine even after conversion

-------------------------------------------------
    I CAN'T use netflix , I can't use amazon , ebay and alot of other stores. they're not available here. I can't even have a paybal or visa account.
    So I HAVE TO use torre... . Do you have any better suggestion? !!!

actually I don't want to convert this video , I just want to resize it because mkv videos larger than 720p are laggy on my ipod.

Please don't jump to conclusions again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just want to resize it because mkv videos larger than 720p are laggy on my ipod
    720p = 1280x720 progressive you probably ment 480p = 720x480 progressive

the quality of the video is fine even after conversion
    Okay, since quality is in the eye of the beholder it's not worth arguing about it.

btw. MeGui might be worth checking out, since it should have ipod profiles and should handle the video without a problem.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  9. 720p = 1280x720 progressive you probably ment 480p = 720x480 progressive
    yes , I meant 480p , sorry .

Okay, since quality is in the eye of the beholder it's not worth arguing about it.
    (!!!!!)

the quality of the video is really good I'm sure if you saw it you would find it good too .I don't doubt it. Eye is eye I don't use magical glasses!

btw. MeGui might be worth checking out, since it should have ipod profiles and should handle the video without a problem.
    I will have a look at megui.

Thank you very much selur for your helps
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but at those specs, it doesn't look good. Unless it was encoded with a completely new process and codecs as yet unseen (and it doesn't) that vastly improve on everything that has gone before it, this does not look good.

Of course, if you are watching this on a iPod nano screen then it may well look fantastic . . . . . . .
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Sorry, but at those specs, it doesn't look good. Unless it was encoded with a completely new process and codecs as yet unseen (and it doesn't) that vastly improve on everything that has gone before it, this does not look good.

Of course, if you are watching this on a iPod nano screen then it may well look fantastic . . . . . . .
    ipod nano!!!!!!!!!!?!
    I have ipod touch! I have seen it on my pc too and the quality is very good !
    Quote Quote