VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Macbook, iGrabber USB capturing device, Sony EVO-250, and Geniatech iGrabber software.

My video capture software doesn't seem to give me many options, so I'm considering H.264 compression. Figure I'd do this at 640x480 and 29.97 frame rate and then deinterlace later on. Not too sure about key frame or data rate.

My main priority is to transfer them to my external hd with good quality. Disk space isn't an issue.

What are your thoughts, criticisms, etc?

Your advice is appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why deinterlace?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I thought it would give the video a cleaner appearance? Though, I think it reduces the quality, does it not?

Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bwt View Post
    I thought it would give the video a cleaner appearance? Though, I think it reduces the quality, does it not?
    Indeed, it does. I quote from lordsmurf's excellent video guide:

"De-interlacing loses data. It's that simple. A de-interlace basically throws away parts of the video signal or blends it together with other parts of the video signal. It destroys interlaced footage. The only use gained by de-interlacing is to remove combs on a progressive display that has no access to on-the-fly de-interlacing software or hardware."
    Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/capture-understand-sources.htm#ixzz1WiAF0dfj . Scroll halfway down the page to read the article "Interlace vs. Progressive vs. De-Interlace" for an explanation and sample pics.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 17:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Macbook, iGrabber USB capturing device, Sony EVO-250, and Geniatech iGrabber software.

My video capture software doesn't seem to give me many options, so I'm considering H.264 compression. Figure I'd do this at 640x480 and 29.97 frame rate and then deinterlace later on. Not too sure about key frame or data rate.

My main priority is to transfer them to my external hd with good quality. Disk space isn't an issue.

What are your thoughts, criticisms, etc?

Your advice is appreciated!
    I usually cap analog to 720x480 60i DV, then after editing encode to 60i DVD MPeg2.

If your device hardware encodes to 60i DVD MPeg2, I'd use that over h.264. Most likely your device will deinterlace when h.264 is used.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sanlyn and edDV, thanks for your input!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is it crazy to capture without compression? Space isn;t an issue, so why not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is it crazy to capture without compression? Space isn;t an issue, so why not?
    To capture even VHS or Video8 without any compression you would need a two disk RAID.

Can't do that on a MacBook.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote