VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Hey all,

I'm using Cuttermaran to trim commercials out of some .wtv files captured from WMC. The 720p streams work okay, but the 1080i streams don't load up correctly.

I circled the video and audio stream lengths. The 1:01 listed for the audio stream is correct, the :57 for the video stream is incorrect, it should also be 1:01. For some reason, cuttermaran is losing 4 minutes of video. If I open the .m2v and .ac3 files separately with MediaInfo, it displays both lengths as 1:01. If I open the streams with Sony Vegas, they show up with the correct lengths and are properly synched from start to finish. Any ideas?
    Last edited by cjbrown80; 29th Aug 2011 at 11:13.
    Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try cut with mpg2cut2 or mpeg2schnitt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a long time Cuttermaran user. It works great with demultiplexed files from my DVD recorder. However, I have tried it and nearly every other free editor that can work with MPEG-2 for .mpg and .ts files that I converted from .wtv format, and at some point, they all had some problems working with recordings from an ATSC source, including A/V synch issues. TSSniper (requires .ts files) was the free tool that worked best, but the user interface made it difficult to position cut points precisely, and I sometimes still had problems with A/V synch. The only thing that I haven't tried that someone claimed might work better is AVIDemux 2.6 experimental.

If you already have Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio, and it works, use it. If you don't have them and don't want them for other reasons, but are willing to pay for software, get VideoReDo Plus instead (assuming you can afford $50). There is no free tool that I have tried that compares for working with ATSC transport streams.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Vegas just has very limited export options and it forces a re-encode which takes so damn long because Sony blows at coding multi-threaded apps. I tried it anyway, and after waiting three hours for a forty minute TV show to render, the audio sync came out all wonky. F F F Faaaaaail....
    Even VideoRedo has hiccups once in a while, and it seems to be more frequent with 1080i signals as well. I don't know if thats because the networks that use 1080i (CW, etc..) are using poor encoders or something, or if it's a software thing with the apps themselves. Maybe not, I'm just speculating...
    Help!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cjbrown80 View Post
    Vegas just has very limited export options and it forces a re-encode which takes so damn long because Sony blows at coding multi-threaded apps. I tried it anyway, and after waiting three hours for a forty minute TV show to render, the audio sync came out all wonky. F F F Faaaaaail....
    Even VideoRedo has hiccups once in a while, and it seems to be more frequent with 1080i signals as well. I don't know if thats because the networks that use 1080i (CW, etc..) are using poor encoders or something, or if it's a software thing with the apps themselves. Maybe not, I'm just speculating...
    The encoders that the networks use aren't likely to blame.

I think the editing problems we all experience are more likely caused by what occurs during transmission and reception. While there is redundancy built into the signal that allows the tuner to perform error correction and replace corrupted or missing data, it doesn't always succeed in perfectly reconstructing the audio and video streams. Editors can't deal with some of the resulting weirdness in the audio and video streams very well. VideoReDo does a better job than most.
    Quote Quote