VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hate to ask such a dumb noob question, but...... all my computers are 32 bit, ME, XP, Vista and Windows 7. All these new machines for sale mostly have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. If, in the future I decide to buy a new 64 bit Windows machine, will there be compatibility problems with 32 bit software ? Simple programs like WinRAR, WinZip, ConvertX 2 DVD,
    Any Video Converter, DVD Shrink, Nero, Roxio, etc. etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most 32 bit software will run on 64 bit Windows 7. The few things that don't work are usually because you can't get a driver for a piece of hardware, and some low level system software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Things like Winrar you get the 64 bit version, done. Nero & Roxio? I use imgburn. DVD Shrink works. SO far I switched everything that had 64 bit versions available to the 64 bit version. The rest works. So far in the last year or so nothing hasn't worked.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have both 32 and 64 bit machines. Most of my software works on both. Found only one program that will not work on the 64 machine. It is a 16 bit program. Seems to work on the 32 bit machine fine. It will not install even when you try to use the compatibility mode. It requires no drivers at all. Forced me to upgrade to a different program. O well. Upward and Onward with new technology.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Various 32-bit applications that don't go well with 64-bit Windows:

--- old versions of Acrobat Reader (don't even install, IIRC)

--- Java ( installs OK, but then it cannot run )

--- 7-Zip (the Explorer shell integration does not work — like Java, must use 64-bit version)

--- Paint Shop Pro 9 has some minor glitches
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Backpain View Post
    Found only one program that will not work on the 64 machine. It is a 16 bit program. Seems to work on the 32 bit machine fine. It will not install even when you try to use the compatibility mode. It requires no drivers at all. Forced me to upgrade to a different program. O well. Upward and Onward with new technology.
    Ah yes, I forgot about that. Old 16 bit Windows and DOS programs don't work. For a lot of those you can use DOSBox, VirtualBox, VMWare, or other virtual machines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doom.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	8371
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help, much appreciated. Had big issues with Vista 32 not running XP programs I've been using for years. Only got one 16bit program to work with Vista, Windows 7 Ultra or Pro 32, I just leave things as they are and use the old machines to run legacy software. Compatibility modes seem to be useless on Vista & Win 7 32 bit.
    Quote Quote