VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I just read something about disabling smart sampling for motion video. They say it makes it much sharper. What do you say about that? Is it worth it. Is is also worth it to move the pixel format to 32bit full instead of 8bit?
    Sampling choice in vegas doesn't do anything unless you have speed changes like slo mo. When rendering 60i to 60i there are no speed changes (unless you used velocity envelopes or other adjustments on the time line)

Smart resample on = blend (blurry and choppy)
    Smart resample off = duplicates (choppy)

32bit processing is usually only useful for certain rendered effects , or if you are making large adjustments in color correction. The cost is much slower render times.
    Quote Quote  
  2. i didn't see your edited post with additional questions

As for mainconcept mpeg 2 settings do I use best or good? I read in that link something about if it is a DV and you are working only with that straight across you put it to good. If it is HD down to DV you put it at best. Is that right? What other settings for HD am I missing that you would make sure are right? I just want to make sure my first blurays are not coasters because they are not cheap, that's for sure. I am actually even a little nervous in making it. Thanks.
    The reason why you place it to "best" with projects that use any scaling, is that it uses bicubic scaling when set to "best", otherwise it uses bilinear. Bilinear is faster to render, but produces softer results. So if you're not doing any scaling, "good" is fine (e.g. DV timeline to DV export). Note there are 2 places you can set this, in the project properties, and in the render dialog settings. The setting you have in the project properties will be the "default" setting in the render dialog

For blu-ray, before burning actual disc, it's a good idea to make an iso and mount the image with software (like virtalclonedrive) to check with a software player first. You will make fewer coasters this way

I don't know about vegas 11, but in previous versions, their blu-ray AVC encodes actually weren't blu-ray compliant. So it was re-rendered twice , once in vegas, once in DVDA, resulting in lower quality. IIRC the MPEG2 blu-ray passed through ok
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I just read something about disabling smart sampling for motion video. They say it makes it much sharper. What do you say about that? Is it worth it. Is is also worth it to move the pixel format to 32bit full instead of 8bit?
    Sampling choice in vegas doesn't do anything unless you have speed changes like slo mo. When rendering 60i to 60i there are no speed changes (unless you used velocity envelopes or other adjustments on the time line)

Smart resample on = blend (blurry and choppy)
    Smart resample off = duplicates (choppy)

32bit processing is usually only useful for certain rendered effects , or if you are making large adjustments in color correction. The cost is much slower render times.
    So it looks like 8 bit would be great to use. So on the resample I still am not sure. What would you use? on or off?
    There will be some slo mo in the video I do.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 6th Dec 2011 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i didn't see your edited post with additional questions

As for mainconcept mpeg 2 settings do I use best or good? I read in that link something about if it is a DV and you are working only with that straight across you put it to good. If it is HD down to DV you put it at best. Is that right? What other settings for HD am I missing that you would make sure are right? I just want to make sure my first blurays are not coasters because they are not cheap, that's for sure. I am actually even a little nervous in making it. Thanks.
    The reason why you place it to "best" with projects that use any scaling, is that it uses bicubic scaling when set to "best", otherwise it uses bilinear. Bilinear is faster to render, but produces softer results. So if you're not doing any scaling, "good" is fine (e.g. DV timeline to DV export). Note there are 2 places you can set this, in the project properties, and in the render dialog settings. The setting you have in the project properties will be the "default" setting in the render dialog

For blu-ray, before burning actual disc, it's a good idea to make an iso and mount the image with software (like virtalclonedrive) to check with a software player first. You will make fewer coasters this way

I don't know about vegas 11, but in previous versions, their blu-ray AVC encodes actually weren't blu-ray compliant. So it was re-rendered twice , once in vegas, once in DVDA, resulting in lower quality. IIRC the MPEG2 blu-ray passed through ok
    So if I don't want softer results I would keep it at best? Would I do a best setting in bluray also?
    Is there anything else that you see I am missing? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    So on the resample I still am not sure. What would you use? on or off?
    It depends if you have speed changes like slow motion. If you have no speed changes it doesn't matter , because no resampling is done.

For slow mo, I don't use vegas. There are other better options. But if you had to choose , blend is usually better for slow motion
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    So if I don't want softer results I would keep it at best? Would I do a best setting in bluray also?
    Only if there is scaling involved. No scaling makes it a non factor (e.g. 1440x1080i60 => 1440x1080i60 project would make no difference).

But a 1440x1080i60 => 720x480i60 project it will make a difference, because there is scaling
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you use for slo mo? and why not Vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only if there is scaling involved. No scaling makes it a non factor (e.g. 1440x1080i60 => 1440x1080i60 project would make no difference).

But a 1440x1080i60 => 720x480i60 project it will make a difference, because there is scaling
    I got it. I read this, but for some reason it wasn't sinking in. Nothing changed but it now sank in. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    What do you use for slo mo?
    Ideally you shoot a higher fps

If that's not possible, you use motion interpolation / optical flow methods. These try to generate new inbetween frames, instead of a dumb blend or duplicate frame like vegas generates. The motion is generally a lot smoother, but the "cons" include slower processing times, and morphing edge artifacts. Some types of material interpolate well, other very well at all. By shooting a real higher fps , you avoid all those issues

Free way is mvtools2 using mflowfps in avisynth, paid methods include after effects (pixel motion, timewarp), twixtor pro, nuke, motion for mac

I posted some comparisons before on this board, but I don't have the links handy

EDIT: read post #3, you can download a comparison video demonstrating the differences between the 3 methods of duplicates, blends , optical flow for generating "in between" frames . Vegas cannot do the 3rd method.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340910-looking-for-s-w-that-can-recreate-an-MP4-fil...peed?p=2121826
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 6th Dec 2011 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found your comparisons. How the heck did you get up there? I like the look of motion interpolation. So what would you recommend to use motion interpolation?
    Quote Quote  
  11. How the heck did you get up there?
    Are you talking about the space station example ? That's not my original footage. Read the 1st post and the vimeo link for more information

So what would you recommend to use motion interpolation?
    Well the free way is avisynth, mvtools2. But a bit of a learning curve. But if you're going the avisynth route, you may as well learn how to use their deinterlacing and scaling as well, because it's much better than vegas (or any NLE).

The reason why deinterlacing plays a part in slow mo for 60i footage is 60i is really 60 fields per second. When you bob- deinterlace it, it becomes 60p footage.

Twixtor is probably what most people would use, easy to use, GUI based. I think they have a plugin now for vegas, but it's pricey
    http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/downloads/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is a little pricey that's for sure. I don't have time to learn avisynth either. I wish I would be able to do it the way your first suggest by shooting fps but I don't know how I could accomplish that with my setup. It may be I have to use the choppy sony way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was away during the weekend so am now catching up.

Here is a list of the options I do have. Not all look like yours or is that your render as drop down?
    Your Menu is Project properties. Mine was Mainconcept MPeg2 encoding templates for an HDV project to Blu-Ray.

Your project window shows the Prerendered Files Folder on the C: drive. Move it to another drive for significant timeline performance imporvement.

I figured it out that it has to be your render as box. Mine just looks different is what threw me off. I do have hopefully one last thing. Default Bluray in render as has no audio checked. What would you do. Is it just not easier to have it checked?
    DVD Author prefers separate audio and video tracks but you can include audio under the audio tab, then see if DVDA accepts it.

I think the rest of your questions were answered by poisondeathray.

In summary, you use "best" when you are scaling or using slow motion. The cost is much longer rendering time. This is less an issue now you have an i7 CPU.

Next weekend I'm planning to install my Vegas Pro version 11 upgrade so get your version 10 questions in now while I still have it installed.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Dec 2011 at 05:45.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have 11 also.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Here is a list of the options I do have. Not all look like yours or is that your render as drop down?
    Your Menu is Project properties. Mine was Mainconcept MPeg2 encoding templates for an HDV project to Blu-Ray.

Your project window shows the Prerendered Files Folder on the C: drive. Move it to another drive for significant timeline performance imporvement.

I figured it out that it has to be your render as box. Mine just looks different is what threw me off. I do have hopefully one last thing. Default Bluray in render as has no audio checked. What would you do. Is it just not easier to have it checked?
    DVD Author prefers separate audio and video tracks but you can include audio under the audio tab, then see if DVDA accepts it.

In summary, you use "best" when you are scaling or using slow motion. The cost is much longer rendering time. This is less an issue now you have an i7 CPU.

Next weekend I'm planning to install my Vegas Pro version 11 upgrade so get your version 10 questions in now while I still have it installed.
    Is there any special folder I need to put prerendered in on another drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Is there any special folder I need to put prerendered in on another drive?
    If you have two internal* drives (e.g. C: OS and a capture drive), put it on the capture drive. If you have a third drive, put the PFF there.

These pre-rendered files look like additional source during preview.

* internal SATA drives, SSD or external eSATA drives.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an SSD internal 256GB and 3 internal 2TB. One is capture/video, another is DVD Arch along with some other things. The third is for music, documents, and pictures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an SSD internal 256GB and 3 internal 2TB. One is capture/video, another is DVD Arch along with some other things. The third is for music, documents, and pictures.
    Main issue is getting off the c: drive whichever that is. I configure my SSD as a video drive not the OS drive, since boot times aren't important for this machine. It can go weeks without reboot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How big of an SSD do you have to use it as a video drive? Maybe I just don't understand what you mean when you say video drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How big of an SSD do you have to use it as a video drive? Maybe I just don't understand what you mean when you say video drive.
    Basic rule is keep video that will be edited off your OS drive. The OS is always accessing that drive for background tasks. Video needs uninterrupted access to a disk for best performance.

I have a small 64GB SSD that I use to edit uncompressed SD video/animation. Nothing to do with your workflow.
    Quote Quote