VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

Here is an MKV conversion, by a friend of mine, of one of his KF DVDs ... which when I tried to play it on my Netgear EVA9100 (it is a Media Player like WDTV player) ... it had No Sound and the Subtitle would Not playback.

Now from my readings here I realize that MKV is just a Container that can handle various Video and Audio Formats in it ... but ...

I was wondering what is the "Proper" Format for an MKV so it can be played back on a Stand-alone Media Player ... such as "Netgear EVA9100" or a "WDTV HD Media Player"!?!?

Most of the time my problem of playbackis due to ...

A) Audio does not playback ... No Sound?

Q1: So, what Format should Audio be in? Does the Sampling matter?

B) No Subtitles can be seen?

Q2: What format is the best!?!? It seems IDX sub can not be seen.

Also, each time I use MKVMerge (from MKVToolNix) to make my New MKV file ... the darn File does NOT play back on the media player ... and I have to go in and fix the HEADER.

Q3: Can someone tell me why this Happens? and how to make MKVToolNix work properly?

BTW FYI, here is MediaInfo of the MKV file ... I had to convert the Subtitles from IDX/SUB to SRT and convert my Audio from AAC to MP3 so it can work (converted to MP3, since I did Not have a AAC to AC3 freeware converter handy).

General
    Unique ID :
    Complete name : G:\TDK.mkv
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 623 MiB
    Duration : 1h 22mn
    Overall bit rate : 1054 Kbps
    Movie name :
    Encoded date :
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Oct 11 2008 20:13:15
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Nominal bit rate : 1 000 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 304 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.152
    Writing library : x264 core 98 r1649 c54c47d
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=50000 / vbv_bufsize=50000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00 / nal_hrd=none

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Title : 国语
    Language : Chinese
    Text #1
    ID : 3
    Format : VobSub
    Muxing mode : zlib
    Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used
    on DVDs
    Title : 繁体中文
    Language : Chinese
    Text #2
    ID : 4
    Format : VobSub
    Muxing mode : zlib
    Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used
    on DVDs
    Title : 英文
    Language : English

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    media players are all different. you. need. to. read. the. f. manual. to see what it can play.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I went to the Netgear website and I was stunned at how truly terrible their documentation is. I honestly don't know WHAT it will play. Wow. A new low for sure in product documentation.

gonwk - Since it's impossible to know what the damn thing will play because the documentation doesn't say, you'll have to go to the official Netgear forum for the player and ask there. The subtitles may be required to be in a separate file with the same name as the MKV file. For example, if you have IDX subtitles and your video is called MYVIDEO.MKV, then the IDX subtitle file has to be called MYVIDEO.IDX.

AAC audio may not be supported, but again, I have no idea what it will play since they don't even tell you that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi aedipuss & jman98,

Thanks for your replies.

Actually I got the MKV file working ... by converting my Audio and Subtitles ... made the Audio MP3 and Subs to SRT.

I have played other freinds MKV files ... just as they are and the Media Player did fine ... I was trying to figure out which Format is the easiest on the Media Player ... I thought there is a LOW Standard that "any Machine" could play back.

BTW, can you folks tell me if you have experienced some glitches with MKVToolNix (MKVMerge) ... when reMuxing a "Working" MKV file!?!? You know the thing would play first ... then when I converted some components and remux it again ... now it chokes on playback!?!?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote