VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    While backing up my DVD collection I came across Pulp Fiction lately. Source is DVD R2, not interlaced. Here goes my backup experience step-by-step...

First try with tool #A: AnyDVD
    - AnyDVD detected disc
    - used DVDShrink to copy main movie: I/O error, DVD structure not readable (something like that)
    - used CloneDVD: copy successful
    - used DGIndex to index: source interlaced and bad field order
    - deleted files
    - used DVDDecrypter / Ifo Mode: copy successful
    - used DGIndex to index: source interlaced and bad field order
    - deleted files again
    - shut down AnyDVD

Quite bizarre...

Second try with tool #B: DVDFab HD Decrypter
    - tool detected disc
    - copied main movie: successful
    - used DGIndex to index: source progressive

As expected...

Anybody have an explanation for this odd decryption behavior? Basically, I thought AnyDVD to be the most reliable decryptor.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are supposed to be option in anydvd to make it work better with certain software. I/O mode or something similar . Did you try using the ripper that is built into anydvd? You might have inadvertently re-encoded in clonedvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not convinced the makers of AnyDVD know anything about other software. Just yesterday I ripped a disc to an image and it warned me that if I need to do further work to the DVD (with something like DVDShrink) that I should output to folders instead....implying that DVDShrink does not open image files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @loster: I used the Title Backup mode in CloneDVD, no re-encoding. After all only faulty backup results with AnyDVD.
    Das Leben ist eine Nebelwand voller Rasierklingen. (C. Bukowski)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm not convinced the makers of AnyDVD know anything about other software. Just yesterday I ripped a disc to an image and it warned me that if I need to do further work to the DVD (with something like DVDShrink) that I should output to folders instead....implying that DVDShrink does not open image files.
    Actually, I have found that AnyDVD does require ripping to files rather than to an image to repair structure protection. If you insist on ripping to an ISO image when AnyDVD says it detected structure protection, the ISO image still contains the protection.

If AnyDVD says "Structure protection not found" I rip to an ISO image. If AnyDVD says "Structure protection found" I rip to HD files and then use ImgBurn or DVD Shrink to create an ISO image. I can't recall the last time this failed to work for me, but I'm pretty sure it was only until the next release of AnyDVD handled that particular structure protection properly.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote