VideoHelp Forum


Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Thread
  1. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    Dear my expert friends,

    Pls discuss here the real Difference or Relationship among encoding, re-encoding & decoding
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    encoding, re-encoding & decoding
    Pick one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Encoding: compressing a video
    Decoding: decompresssing a video
    Reencoding: compressing an already compressed video (ie, decompressing and re-compressing)
    Quote Quote  
  4. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Encoding: compressing a video
    Decoding: decompresssing a video
    Reencoding: compressing an already compressed video (ie, decompressing and re-compressing)

    Pls elaborate more specifically if you can, not in a summarize form my Brother

    that's why i can easily understand the terms, it's till ambiguous to me

    Thanks for your response
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't understand what you're asking.

    Compressing: to make the video (file size) smaller
    Decompressing: undoing that compression to make the video viewable again, or to modify it

    Are you looking for a complete explanation of digital imaging and compression techniques?
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Aug 2011 at 13:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    Dear my expert friends,

    Pls discuss here the real Difference or Relationship among encoding, re-encoding & decoding
    This question, and the question you asked in this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/338031-Difference-Between-1-pass-2-pass-encoding, look like you are trying to get an answers for a course assignment.

    If you ask specific questions you'll tend to get specific answers. If you ask general questions, that have been asked many times before, then don't expect people to spend time writing detailed answers.

    I suggest you do your own research as there is plenty of information available. When there are specific things you don't understand post a question and you'll find there are plenty of people willing to help.

    The more you can help people answer your question the more likely it is you will get the answer you're looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking.

    Are you looking for a complete explanation of digital imaging and compression techniques?
    I actually want to know:

    * What happen in Video Encoding?

    * Similarly what happen in Video Decoding?

    * And what happen in Video Re-encoding?

    Which one is require when?
    Quote Quote  
  9. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by T_Jet View Post
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    Dear my expert friends,

    Pls discuss here the real Difference or Relationship among encoding, re-encoding & decoding
    This question, and the question you asked in this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/338031-Difference-Between-1-pass-2-pass-encoding, look like you are trying to get an answers for a course assignment.

    If you ask specific questions you'll tend to get specific answers. If you ask general questions, that have been asked many times before, then don't expect people to spend time writing detailed answers.

    I suggest you do your own research as there is plenty of information available. When there are specific things you don't understand post a question and you'll find there are plenty of people willing to help.

    The more you can help people answer your question the more likely it is you will get the answer you're looking for.
    you are right my brother.

    And thanks for your nice suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * What happen in Video Encoding?
    Uncompressed video is compressed.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * Similarly what happen in Video Decoding?
    Compressed video is decompressed.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * And what happen in Video Re-encoding?
    Compressed video is decompressed then compressed again.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    Which one is require when?
    Encode when you want to make the video (file size) smaller.
    Decode when you want to watch an encoded video, or change it.
    Reencode when you want to make an encoded video even smaller, or want to make changes to it and make is small again.

    You're basically asking somebody to write a book about digital image/video compression for you. There are many books about that already. Go read one. Then come back with specific questions if you have any.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_compression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_cosine_transform
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Aug 2011 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * What happen in Video Encoding?
    * Similarly what happen in Video Decoding?
    * And what happen in Video Re-encoding?
    Which one is require when?
    In the most broadest sense, encoding is storing information in code. To find out what was stored, you have to decode what was encoded.

    The term video encoding is very often used as synonym for video re-encoding, except for what happens inside a camera. I think even saving a movie in an uncompressed format can be called encoding.
    Every time a movie is played or re-encoded, it has to be decoded first.
    Imho, the amount of compression has very little to do with re-encoding, although the goal of more compression needs re-encoding.

    Converting between movie formats would be re-encoding (e.g. XviD to DVD, or vise versa). Even (full) re-processing with the same input codec as output codec would be re-encoding.
    Storing DV video in a camcorder would be just encoding the movie.
    Playing a movie requires decoding.
    Re-encoding requires decoding before encoding again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * What happen in Video Encoding?
    Uncompressed video is compressed.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * Similarly what happen in Video Decoding?
    Compressed video is decompressed.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * And what happen in Video Re-encoding?
    Compressed video is decompressed then compressed again.

    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    Which one is require when?
    Encode when you want to make the video (file size) smaller.
    Decode when you want to watch an encoded video, or change it.
    Reencode when you want to make an encoded video even smaller, or want to make changes to it and make is small again.

    You're basically asking somebody to write a book about digital image/video compression for you. There are many books about that already. Go read one. Then come back with specific questions if you have any.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_compression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_encoding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_cosine_transform
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation

    Many thanks to U my brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. illusion Dictator
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In your Heart
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=Case;2100614]
    Originally Posted by iqbal88 View Post
    * In the most broadest sense, encoding is storing information in code. To find out what was stored, you have to decode what was encoded.

    The term video encoding is very often used as synonym for video re-encoding, except for what happens inside a camera. I think even saving a movie in an uncompressed format can be called encoding.
    Every time a movie is played or re-encoded, it has to be decoded first.
    Imho, the amount of compression has very little to do with re-encoding, although the goal of more compression needs re-encoding.

    Converting between movie formats would be re-encoding (e.g. XviD to DVD, or vise versa). Even (full) re-processing with the same input codec as output codec would be re-encoding.
    Storing DV video in a camcorder would be just encoding the movie.
    Playing a movie requires decoding.
    Re-encoding requires decoding before encoding again.
    Thanks Bro
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads