VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently had a reason to use single-channel LPCM for a DVD backup. The source was LPCM 2.0 mono and it would fit a DVDR5 in case of LPCM 1.0 (then no compession for video, etc.).
    No complaints from authoring applications like muxman or TDA1.6, but the result is strange. MPC plays it silently unless I use VTS ifo to start playback rather than VIDEO_TS.IFO, WinDVD fails to play (it hiccups). Also tried to re-author the output from muxman with TDA1.6 - it's OK at preview on timeline, the output behaves in the same way. My hardware player plays it, but puts the audio into the left channel only. What could be the problem?
    I know that DD 1.0 is legal enough to be used in some Criterion Collection DVDs, what could be wrong with LPCM 1.0? Is there any home experience? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AFA the specs, it's legal. AFA correct hardware support of it, your guess is as good as mine...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK, LPCM-mono is compliant with the DVD-Video specs, but probably it's ignored by most/all software/firmware designers, because it's one of the
    (according to themselves, bien entendu)
    "things that nobody will ever use". NOTE: for "historical" reasons, and because of a ¿ pointless ? compatibility with ancient (read: stereo-only) devices, 1.0 audio may be mapped to the front-left channel.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 16th Aug 2011 at 13:55. Reason: formatting
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the answers.
    Is there any software player working properly with it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. Found it at last, KMPlayer plays it in both channels.
    Quote Quote