VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

my problem is the following (short version below):

I recorded a movie with win 7 media center what gave me an *.wtv file. cause this isnt very handy i wanted to convert it.
    Steps I took:

-convert *.wtv -> *.wmv with Windows Movie Maker
    -opened the wmv with avidemux to convert to h264/ac3 mkv
    -build vbr timemap
    -cut out commercials at positions with i-frames (dunno if thats necessary but i did. read that an i-frame should be at the start/end of the file and thats the case)

then I started to render the new file with h264 without editing the video exept of cutting. rendered with 2000kbps.
    now i have a file wich is almost what i wanted to have, exept the audio delay.
    The thing is: i dont bother you with just an audio delay i coult fix with the delay function of avidemux...
    the delay increases with the lenght of the movie. I guess this is because of the cuts. The more cuts there have been, the greater the audio delay is.

--------------------------------------------------
    In short: how can I prevent the audio stream getting desynced more and more with the count of cuts i did to get out the commercials? I dont want to extract the audio and cut it apart of the video...

thanks for the help,
    greatings
    Mav
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't windows movie maker reconvert? If so try MC-TVConverter and convert to mpg for example. And then cut BEFORE you convert to h264/ac3 mkv using avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I'll give MC-TVConverter a try these days. Dont like to convert vía Movie Maker cause I dont want the wmv anyways. But I never found a free converter that did ok.

But I still wonder if this solves my problem. I did the cutting with avidemux and then let it build the new file as an mkv. if I convert with MC-TVConverter I'm in almost the same situation except my input isnt wmv.

I had this problem earlier and never got rid of this. As mentioned I read obout the VBR-Timemap, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
    Did I miss some general steps in cutting a movie or why does my audio stream get out of position more and more with every cut?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux expects to receive a perfect MPEG-2 file, but in the real world, DTV recordings often contain transmission errors in the audio or video. The presence of these errors will make synch issues progressively worse.

I haven't found any freeware that always does a perfect job maintaining synch when cutting HDTV recordings. Sometimes TSSniper (only accepts .ts files) worked better than AviDemux. Sometimes neither worked very well. There are some members here who can use an audio editor or NLE to re-synch the audio and video, but I'm not one of them.

VideoReDo Plus does the best job at maintaining AV synch of any MPEG-2 editor I have tried for working with WTV recordings (converted to .ts or .dvr-ms format), but it isn't free. I probably I'll surrender soon myself and pay the $50 for VideoReDo Plus to eliminate one source of frustration from my life.

I will say that MC-TV Converter does do a good job at moving the audio and video from a .wtv file to a more convenient container file format. One tip for using MC-TV Converter: If there are multiple audio streams, you may not get the correct audio every time, based on a single language selected for "Preferred language in WTV files". (I don't think the fault is with MC-TV Converter. If I look at the .wtv file itself in Media Center, the audio streams aren't lableled correctly in every recording. Probably the TV station or network isn't doing something right.) In that case I have used the "all" setting for "Preferred language in WTV files", and sorted out the correct audio stream later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Doesn't windows movie maker reconvert? If so try MC-TVConverter and convert to mpg for example. And then cut BEFORE you convert to h264/ac3 mkv using avidemux.
    I gotta tell ya, I'm LOVIN this MC-TVConverter app!!! Thanks so much for turning me onto it Baldrick. Since we're on the topic, I wonder if you may know about this: SOME of my recorded TV shows are in the wtv format while others are in the dvr-ms format. I can't seem to find rhyme nor reason why. I have also tried looking into default file type for when WMC records TV for me. Would it not make sense to have such an option? I've read that the dvr-ms format is considered "old" and being replaced with the wtv format. Any ideas?
    Life is like a game of poker. If you can't spot the sucker after a few minutes...then you ARE the sucker.
    Quote Quote