VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I just recently bought LG's New Cinema 3DTV - 55LW650T and was hoping to play my Bluray 3D Rips on my TV using my external hdd to play all my Movies.

the TV supports MKV perfectly fine but doesnt support DTS audio and i have been forced to change the audio tracks to AC3 problem i have is i used mkvtoolnix and took away the DTS audio track away and realised i will have to convert the audio to AC3 so i went and extracted the DTS audio file from the MKV and for some reason it appears as a MKAand i have had a hell of a time finding a program that can convert to ac3...I need major help here on this as i have tryed everything to mind and google has tired me out of countless searches

i wish i know how to tell mkvtoolnix to extract the dts audio as AC3

can anyone recommend ideas please

thanks in advance

csta
    Last edited by csta; 11th Aug 2011 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "MKA" just means Matroska Audio. It isn't a specific format, as Matroska can include lots of different kinds of video and audio.
    If you open the MKV (probably the MKA too) with a player like VLC, under Tools/Codec information it will tell you what kind of audio it is.

You can then rename the MKA to the appropriate file name : whatever.aac, say, and then convert it to AC3 using an appropriate converter.

or... while looking at the audio tools here I just noticed: MKV2AC3
    Seems to be exactly what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. klkl im trying it thnw

its just when i saw mka i was like ok and iv tryed so many jarkon bits of crap software tonyt with so many failed results

ill reply back and let u know how i get on

btw big thanks for helping me bro
    Quote Quote  
  4. seems to work great what would be the best audio settings for when i convert the audio tho...big thanks btw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Haven't used it myself.
    Bitrate minimum 128 kb/s should be okay.
    If the input has multi-channel (eg 5.1 sound), you might want to match that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. yeah it worked but no 5.1 ac3 so i tryed popcorn audio converter, pain in the arse for its first time setup and after trial and error works flawlessly with ac3 5.1 6ch audio

thanks for helping
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I have some mkv videos I can't play on my Sonic TV because the audio is e-ac-3.
    I use MKVToolNix GUI to extract the audio and give me a mka file.

One suggest to use MKV2AC3 with the mkv. I try and nothing work.
    This program run in a infinite loop.

Rename the mka to aac or whatever and try to convert with eac3to331 don't work too.
    eac3to331 say this file is not supported.

Some know how to convert mkv who contain e-ac-3 file to mkv with ac3 only?
    Or convert mka to ac3?
    Quote Quote  
  8. MKAs are just MKVs with a slightly different extension to distinguish them from MKVs containing video. You didn't extract the audio to an MKA you just made another MKV without the video and with an MKA extension.

You can extract the audio from MKVs or MKAs with gMKVExtractGUI or MKVCleaver.

Eac3to should be able to extract the audio from MKVs. Or try the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor. Once it's extracted as AC3, use MKVMergeGUI to replace the original audio and create a new MKV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could also use PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter https://www.videohelp.com/software/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter does it in place and doesn't touch the video
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Extract DTS audio from MKV file with gMKVExtractGUI
    Drop DTS audio into the audio section of Megui and pick FFMPEG AC-3 (It can keep the original 5.1 and encode at 640kbps)
    Find the newly encoded AC3 file and mux into a new MKV with the video
    Rinse and repeat.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found this thread on a search for “E-AC-3” to AC3, as my Blu-Ray player wouldn’t have anything to do with E-AC-3.

Very impressed with MeGUI – used version 2715 (April 15, 2017), downloaded from your page.
    This does it all in a few easy steps – converting and muxing.

For relative novices, like myself, here’s what worked for me:

- Download and extract (portable version, so doesn’t have to be on C drive)

- Click on MeGUI.exe, then tools, then One Click Encoder. Brings up General tab

- Input your file – Video input – dropdown box, select file, open (brings up spec of files)

- Click config (bottom right of the output section of this General tab) - brings up OneClick configuration dialogue screen

- First tab is for Video – only wanted to change audio, so clicked don’t encode video under video setup, and Keep input resolution

- Then Audio – under encoder I used FFmpeg AC-3: *scratchpad* then click config next to it to bring up the FFmpeg AC-3 configuration dialogue box:

- I left all of these as defaults, other than changing the bitrate
    - Preferred decoder: LwLibavAudioSource
    - Output Channels: Keep Original Channels
    - Sample Rate: Keep Original Sample Rate
    - Time modification: Keep Original

- changed bit rate to 640kbps (to match the original) here under AC3 Options

- then click ok

Then Output – mine was MKV – Filesize “Don’t care” – Splitting “Don’t split”

Language and Other tabs didn’t add anything for me.

Click ok to return to the General tab, then Go!

And that’s it! Whole process took 5mins max – produced new file with original video, and now AC3 audio instead of E-AC-3. Blu-Ray player took to it like they were old friends. Brilliant.
    Quote Quote