VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

It's been a very long time since I posted but I really need your help. I know nothing is perfect in this scenario but maybe somebody used something that helped them out. I have a 3 cam shoot that was done for me. The brain dead camera person thought he was focused and for most of the video he is not. I know there is no easy solution but have there been any new plug - ins made lately that may help with unfocused footage. (I only ask because I haven't been on the forums for a long time) I also had a second idiot that was way too over exposed on his camera. I am using Premiere cs4 and cs5 so I have both. I tried to sharpen with their tools but it gets real grainy. I haven't even touched the exposure camera yet because I've never had to deal with this. if anyone can throw an opinion into the ring i would really appreciate it. I am willing to try and spend. This is an important client. Thank you all in advance.

Marc
    Quote Quote  
  2. overexposure - if it's overexposed to the point clipping, there is nothing you can do to recover that lost data that has been clipped. Using the "YUV" labelled filters you can bring "superwhites" back down into legal range

unfocused footage - basically no . You can try something like focus magic, topaz infocus, or deconvolution filters, but they don't work very well in real life. Don't be persuaded easily by the cherrypicked examples, or at least use the trial before you spend cash

http://www.focusmagic.com/
    http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/

If you post examples, you might get more specific help
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am not in the office at this time to send samples. The over exposure clips are not terrible they are just very hot over the stage lights. I don't understand the YUV labels you were mentioning that I could try. The focus software you mentioned seem to be for pictures not video. Sorry if I was not clear but I need something that is for a video fix. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kissvid View Post
    I am not in the office at this time to send samples. The over exposure clips are not terrible they are just very hot over the stage lights. I don't understand the YUV labels you were mentioning that I could try. The focus software you mentioned seem to be for pictures not video. Sorry if I was not clear but I need something that is for a video fix. Thanks.
    In CS5, there are filters that are labelled "YUV", these are applied before RGB conversion, so you can salvage superbright data. For example "fast color corrector". Other filters are applied after the RGB conversion, then the superbright data is clipped

Video is really a series of stills, you will find the "best" commercial focusing and deconvolution software works on stills. You would decompress as an image sequence, process as stills, reimport the image sequence. Or you can try to use some sharpening filters , but you said you have already tried; you might try some denoising/sharpening combination
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mmmm I am hearing what you are saying..justy one thing..how would I convert 3 hours of video into a serious of stills? I mean that sounds a little impossible. Sorry if i am missing something.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can export as an image sequence through adobe media encoder or even free programs like virtualdub or avidemux. Very easy to do. If you are using a plugin for photoshop, it can open some types of video and you can apply the filter right there

Anyways, my earlier point is the results are usually poor, even with the most expensive specialized software used for forensic enhancement. It depends on the type of defocus, and the algorithms used vary. Linear types of motion defocus is easier to correct. A generalized blur is more difficult to correct for
    Quote Quote