VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if DVDs have meta information on them such as the dvd company, what software was used for encoging or authoring?? If such info is on dvds, how can it be read/extracted?

I know about g-spot, but that program is telling you info on how it was encoded, what codecs you have install that can play it back, etc. I wanted to see if there is some meta or properties type data on DVDs as there is in some other types of computer files, which is not the same as info on bit rate, frames, etc that you get from g-spot.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can get the DVD manufacturer code by using DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn along with a few other programs designed specifically to read such information. Just start the program in write mode and it will tell you what the code is on the disc without actually writing to it (you have to click a specific button to try to write). However, we get your question every now and then and I don't recall any program that will tell you what the disc was encoded or authored with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no metadata for this. Sometimes the company that generates the DVD will put their logo in a separate title set, but this is usually just the company name - no info on the encoder or the authoring package.

IIRC, earlier versions of Scenarist used to put a picture of a flower in the VIDEO_TS.VOB (not mapped to any of the DVD structure, only viewable by actually opening the .vob in a viewer). I haven't used Scenarist in quite a while, so I don't know if it still does this.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I seem to recall TitleWriter showing some of the information you are asking about https://www.videohelp.com/tools/TitleWriter Worth Taking a look. I'm going by memory since I haven't used since I went Win7 and stopped using my Jukebox and switched to a WD media player.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Disc Image burning software will have provision for simple Disc/Title-based metadata (like mentioned about Imgburn), but most H'wood titles aren't created by burning discs, they're stamped/replicated so there may not be a disc image until the glass master. Less likely that those fields get used.

MPEG formats have room in their data structures for auxilliary "user data", but rarely do they make use of it that way. You could check Restream to see if that'll work for you.

Scott
    Quote Quote