VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i was looking around at these newer/trendy tablet pc's like the asus transformer and acer iconia etc and i noticed not a single one comes with a standard lan connection option. Noticing that all of them (or most) come with wifi built in it got me to thinking, since most of these tablets run google android and some come with a USB port, would it be possible to run this Trendnet device through the USB port where I could pick up internet through it? I have a newish laptop and have had to use this device because the LAN chip died not long after I got the laptop but this little device through USB works like a charm. Was wondering if anyone knew if I were to try and plug this little thing in would android see it or would it be possible to load a driver up for it in Linux since thats basically what android is

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    take it with you to a store and see? i'd guess not - drivers are scarce for tablets. most don't even have usb printer drivers available.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i dont have a tablet pc yet....b4 i thought about getting one i wanted to see if it could take one of the usb to lan devices...im not too familiar with android and not sure if it will accept new hardware so i thought i'd ask and see if anyone had any experience with this...its an issue im sure not too many would ask about as most would just use the wifi...i hate to use it as i dont have mine hooked up...it wouldnt get used much as i would only use the tablet for very mild surfing but mainly...reading ebooks...for a few bux more i though i could do it all online and read ebooks in multiple formats with a tablet instead of trying to find an e-reader that isnt buggy and support for multiple file formats is buggy or limited
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't know if this is similar enough but the 100c apparently works with Linux:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SR00RMBITJUV/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0000CDZ82&...tag=&linkCode=
    http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-USB-100Mbps-Adapter-TU-ET100C/dp/B0000CDZ82

Don't know about android. I would just get a Wifi router. Having a wired Ethernet connection defeats the purpose of a tablet!
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Aug 2011 at 20:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i meant take the usb wired lan device to a store and plug it into the tablet you are thinking of buying. see what transpires.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah i could take it to the store...i know someone at my local office depot who would let me plug it in and see i bet

i jsut dont have any use for wifi..wouldnt use the device for anything but e-books and maybe on a trip for internet or sumthin...i already have a wireless router/bridge i can use....would just prefer to plug in...don't trust any1 around where i'm at not to use backtrack to break my connection

android is basically just a stripped down linux for small/portable devices so i was kinda thinkin that it wouldnt take the driver when i plugged this little joker in
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt you will have much luck at this stage. The best being offered at the moment is USB host support for HDDs and cameras (does make them handy for photographers), but not much in the way of support for other devices. It may come in time. All these tablets (except some of the early no-name cheapies) have wireless N support, so they don't lag too much.

I agree with the advice that you should just give it a try, but don't expect much.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote